Hide Folders in Outlook 2007 (IMAP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shane.p

Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
There's a lot of folders on our email that I do not need to see. I've tried going to Tools->IMAP Folders... and unsubscribing from them, but they never disappear. Is there a way to hide these folders to get rid of some of the clutter?

I'm assuming because you unsubscribed them that they are not folders in the default pst. You're stuck with those...

Unsubscribing should hide folders in the Imap account, removing them immediately from Outlook. If they don't disappear from outlook, you might have to make a new data file. Close Outlook, find the imap data file and rename or delete it then restart outlook and let it recreate it.

I'm assuming because you unsubscribed them that they are not folders in the default pst. You're stuck with those...

Unsubscribing should hide folders in the Imap account, removing them immediately from Outlook. If they don't disappear from outlook, you might have to make a new data file. Close Outlook, find the imap data file and rename or delete it then restart outlook and let it recreate it.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, these are not the default PST folders.

I tried exiting out and renaming the old PST file, and confirmed when I opened it back up (it had to repopulate). Still not unsubscribing from them, though. I go to Tools->IMAP Folders, then the Subscribed Tab. Clicked one of them, hit unsubscribe. It disappears from that list, but when I hit apply or okay, the changes don't reflect in the main window and they also reappear in the subscribed tab of the IMAP Folders window.

Do you use more than one email client to access the mailbox and have it open? This could be on another computer or using a smartphone - but only if the account is configured using IMAP. The subscriptions apply to all clients that access the mailbox and another client could be resetting the changes. I've never seen it happen that fast and only had changes pushed out to the other clients, but its my best guess right now.

Yes, some of us are using Outlook and some of us are using the webmail. However, our webmail is set up so that it's always checking for messages/logged in -- we have a program that does it. That sound like the issue?

My first thought is no, its not webmail. It should show all folders and should use a different protocol than imap. But its possible that some imap servers may act diffierently. Log out of the account using web mail, wait maybe 2 minutes then try unsubscribing in Outlook. You could also test it using thunderbird or other mail client - see if unsubbing folders sticks if done from a different client.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
I Outlook 2010 - Remove or Hide Suggested Contact Folders Using Outlook 1
T How do I hide/unhide folders in outlook inbox? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
K Hide Default Folders in PST Using Outlook 2
J Hide/disable "Groups", "Shared Calendars" Using Outlook 2
D hide messege issue Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2007 Hide Messages Option not Available Using Outlook 2
N How to disable shortcuts for Pilcrow in Outlook (Show or hide paragraph marks) Using Outlook 0
A Possible to hide ribbon with custom appointment form? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
D Disable or hide "reply" and "reply to all" and "forward" in email from access vba Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
K BCM hide subfolders BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
oliv- HIDE ITEM Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
S Hide Timestamp from deleyed message Using Outlook 4
F Hide calendars from shared mailboxes Using Outlook 2
J Ho do I hide the week number on the Calendar Printing Assistant template Using Outlook 4
C How do I hide distribution list from global contacts for certain users? Exchange Server Administration 1
T Is it possible to hide a mailbox but still send on the behalf of. Exchange Server Administration 1
H Outlook 2007 - hide completed tasks from Outlook Today -Solution Using Outlook 2
N Appointment Body on Custom Page 2- Hide Default Page Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
N How to hide pstStore Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
H Hide attachment... Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
S hide details of appointments in calendar Using Outlook 8
M hide outlook to system tray Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
E Can I hide an explorer or make an explorer modal Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
E Can I hide an explorer or make an explorer modal Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
J How to hide/disable send button in Outlook 2007 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J How to hide/disable send button in Outlook 2007 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
J How to hide/disable send button in Outlook 2007 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
C Re: Hide BCM toolbar BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
G Search Folders and Jump to Folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
B Sync Outlook Public Folders to Contacts Using Outlook 2
U When opening shared Calendar "The set of folders cannot be opened" Using Outlook 0
Witzker Outlook 2019 Macro to seach in all contact Folders for marked Email Adress Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
TomHuckstep Remove Send/Receive All Folders (IMAP/POP) button from Outlook 365 Ribbon Using Outlook 2
C Trying to move messages between imap accounts/folders Using Outlook 5
icacream Outlook 2021 Win 10 - Nothing goes in my Drafts or Sent items folders ! Using Outlook 1
kburrows Outlook Email Body Text Disappears/Overlaps, Folders Switch Around when You Hover, Excel Opens Randomly and Runs in the Background - Profile Corrupt? Using Outlook 0
P now on office 365 but getting error messages about missing Outlook 2013 cache folders Using Outlook 2
CWM550 Saving Data: Don't check certain folders Using Outlook 2
J Unable to delete folders in Outlook 2019 / Windows Using Outlook 0
D This folder up to date vs all folders up to date Using Outlook 1
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Adjusting font size in folders Using Outlook 1
Abraham Outlook 2013 Lost my folders when moving from PST to IMAP Using Outlook 11
J How to import many msg into different public folders in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
I Outlook for Mac 2019 using on desktop and laptop IMAP on both need help with folders Using Outlook 1
O Cannot expand the folder. The set of folders cannot be opened. You do not have permission to log on. Using Outlook 1
F VBA to move email from Non Default folder to Sub folders as per details given in excel file Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 11
R Moved 6 months worth (approx 1500 emails) lost from moving from TPG inbox to Icloud inbox (folders) Using Outlook 3
C What folders are needed when reinstalling Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
P Color Code or highlight folders in Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 2
A Moving Public Folders to New Database Exchange Server Administration 3