Outlook 2010 - can't send/receive data file cannot be accessed

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anastasie

I just upgraded to MS Office 2010 from 2007. Outlook suddenly can't receive/send message. I get the following error messages " Task 'Inbox - Sending' reported error (0x8004010F) : 'Outlook data file cannot be accessed.'" and " Task 'Inbox - Receiving' reported error (0x8004010F) : 'Outlook data file cannot be accessed.'"

I tried to repair the data file, but it's still not working - any ideas??

Upgrade installations can sometimes hose a profile. Have you tried a new mail profile and reconnect it to your current .pst file?

ALWAYS post your Outlook version!

" Anastasie" wrote in message news:d6ec9c99-ba4b-4c2e-a924-6131167b68d2@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I just upgraded to MS Office 2010 from 2007. Outlook suddenly can't receive/send message. I get the following error messages " Task 'Inbox - Sending' reported error (0x8004010F) : 'Outlook data file cannot be accessed.'" and " Task 'Inbox - Receiving' reported error (0x8004010F) : 'Outlook data file cannot be accessed.'"

I tried to repair the data file, but it's still not working - any ideas??

Try creating a new Outlook profile using the steps mentioned in the article below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829918

Once the profile is created open the old outlook data file and set it as default. Do the following,

1. To open outlook data file, Click File- >Open- >Outlook data file- >select Outlook.pst and click Open.

2. Once the old data file is open, Click File- >Info- >Account settings and click Data file tab.

3. Select the old pst file that you have and click set as default.

4. Click ok.

5 Close and open Outlook and check if that helps.

Ruchi Bisht

I went to the instructions, but when I went to the control panel and classic view there was no Mail Icon. So - I'm not sure how to proceed.

Are you using a 64-bit operating system?

If you are, then in control panel click on "View 32bit operating system" under classic view in which you will see "mail icon"

Then continue with creating new profile.

Thank you for all of the help - this seems to have fixed the issue.

Glad to know your issue is resolved.

Thanks for posting the solution in the thread so that other with similar issues can refer your thread to resolve their issue.

Hi there,

I do have this problem with Outlook 2010 that I just bought couple of weeks ago "full version". the send and receive doesn't work and it comes back with " error 0X8004010F " each time i click on it

I have tried all the steps you guys provided and some other tips from other websites but nothing worked

And sometime I also get an error msg when sending/replying to some e-mails

Delivery has failed to these recipients or distribution lists:

The recipient's e-mail address was not found in the recipient's e-mail system. Microsoft Exchange will not try to redeliver this message for you. Please check the e-mail address and try resending this message, or provide the following diagnostic text to your system administrator.

Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: pdserver01.fpc.local

I'm using a laptop with windows XP on it, and Norton anti-virus security suite

Please advise.

Windows 8, Office 2010, transfer from Windows 7.

I just fixed this for the office next door. When I clicked on the Inbox folder, nothing changed, same error. I then noticed that there was no file at all listed near the Change Folder button. So in the Change Folder dialog, I clicked New Folder (writing this from memory so could be slightly different wording). I created a new folder, "dummy", then clicked on it, then OK. Now that folder path showed up near the Change Folder button. I clicked Change Folder again, clicked on the Inbox that I wanted, Ok, and now it showed up correctly and all was well.

Re: Outlook 2010 - Outlook data file cannot be accessed

Windows 8, Office 2010, transfer from Windows 7.

I just fixed this for the office next door. When I clicked on the Inbox folder, nothing changed, same error. I then noticed that there was no file at all listed near the Change Folder button. So in the Change Folder dialog, I clicked New Folder (writing this from memory so could be slightly different wording). I created a new folder, "dummy", then clicked on it, then OK. Now that folder path showed up near the Change Folder button. I clicked Change Folder again, clicked on the Inbox that I wanted, Ok, and now it showed up correctly and all was well.

~ Your POST is OUTSTANDING for addressing the error "Can not access Outlook data file". I know that similar Outlook errors *may need to be remedied by different methods; such as re-creating an Outlook email profile, and then re-creating all your email accounts...:mad:, but ....... not required to fix this specific issue.

-> You opened OUTLOOK, choose FILE\INFO\ACCOUNT SETTINGS\ and opened "Account Settings". The "Account Settings" dialog box opened. The box has several tabs, a menu, and a graphic BOX that contains one's Outlook email accounts. At the bottom of the "Account Settings" window there is a button titled "Change Folder". You selected the "Change Folder" button, and a second box E-Mail Delivery Location opened. After choosing the Inbox folder with no results, you created a "dummy" folder. Creating a new folder "dummy", was the needed to re-configuring one's Outlook accounts...! :) Your *observation that you " ...noticed that there was no file [path] at all listed near the Change Folder button" is key to this issue. The Change Folder button has to do with the *text stating *"Selected Account delivers new messages to the following *Location". A very easy fix to a problem that can drive sane men crazy.. thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.