outlook pst files

Status
Not open for further replies.

fausto

Outlook version
Email Account
Hi at all!
I'm new registered at this site...I would ask you some advices about this issue: in outlook 2007 when I try to open personal folders in a hotmail account,suddenly a message appears :"cannot expand folders.Outlook.ost file is not a offline folders.
I already tried all..programs,backups,but I cannot locate files .pst; probably damaged...I also changed options choosing hidden folders.
gimme advices
thanks

outlook.ost is the data file that the hotmail account uses, it's in the local appdata microsoft\outlook folder and only the account that created it can use it.

Do you have any other accounts or data files in your profile?

in Tools, account settings, switch to the Data files tab and select the hotmail account's data file. Click ' open folder location' button and it will open the outlook folder where the data fil should be. You can try closing outlook, deleting the file, and then restarting outlook or remove the account from your profile and add it back.

outlook.ost is the data file that the hotmail account uses, it's in the local appdata microsoft\outlook folder and only the account that created it can use it.

Do you have any other accounts or data files in your profile?

in Tools, account settings, switch to the Data files tab and select the hotmail account's data file. Click ' open folder location' button and it will open the outlook folder where the data fil should be. You can try closing outlook, deleting the file, and then restarting outlook or remove the account from your profile and add it back.

Dear Diane Poremsky,many thanks for reply to thread. I'm sorry to tell you that the open folder location button is not available by click.If I want to restore or find any .pst files is impossible to see the path in account settings - data files...is completely unavailable....
I have tried to change profile,canceled that as default , but once I opened outlook the message has reappeared.
Can you give me any advice.....?I am truly thinking at reinstallation of office if it can give a possibility....

It's possible that Connector accounts don't have the Open folder button - I'm on the road and can't check in a virtual machine.

the folder path is a hidden file - if you try browsing to it, you won't find it. If you use Windows 7 or 8 (or Vista), you can type or paste %localappdata%\microsoft\outlook in the address bar of windows explorer and press Enter to open the folder where the ost is.

You can either delete the ost or delete the account from Outlook and add it back.

It's possible that Connector accounts don't have the Open folder button - I'm on the road and can't check in a virtual machine.

the folder path is a hidden file - if you try browsing to it, you won't find it. If you use Windows 7 or 8 (or Vista), you can type or paste %localappdata%\microsoft\outlook in the address bar of windows explorer and press Enter to open the folder where the ost is.

You can either delete the ost or delete the account from Outlook and add it back.
Dear Diane Poremssky, I have windows xp as O.S. and I already tried to delete accounts and add them back, no way....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
C Export NSF Lotus Notes files in Outlook PST format? Using Outlook 1
K Outlook Archive to PST Files by Date Range VBA Script? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Z Importing PST files from Outlook 07 to Outlook mac Preview Using Outlook 1
E Want to Import Outlook 2003 pst files to later version Using Outlook 6
T Query about one aspect of migrating .pst files from Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 5
Jon Bakrley problems with outlook 2013 and pst files Using Outlook 4
T Rename Outlook 2010 .PST Files Using Outlook 14
K Outlook 2010 creating extremely large PST files for IMAP accounts Using Outlook 3
F Outlook 2013 and default .pst files Using Outlook 1
E Outlook PST files disappear, only found temp file HELP: Using Outlook 1
G Opening pst files in different versions of outlook Using Outlook 2
E Does Outlook 2010 support searching multiple .pst files simultaneously? Using Outlook 0
H Bulk import of PST files into Outlook Using Outlook 1
P Outlook 2010 search of PST files doesn't work unless in cached mode Using Outlook 3
H Opening .PST archive files in Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 10
Commodore Cloudifying Outlook and/or PST files Using Outlook 5
K Moved pst to new computer, now Gmail not coming into Outlook Using Outlook 7
D Outlook app 2021 & iCloud PST issues Using Outlook 2
L Restoring Outlook from backup pst file Using Outlook 5
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Kernel Outlook .pst viewer Using Outlook 3
G Outlook Express (DBX) to Outlook (PST) Conversion Software Wanted Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2003 .pst Will Not Restore Completely to Outlook 2019 Using Outlook 5
J SCANPST errors Outlook PST repair? Using Outlook 1
M Convertor for Outlook Express Mail Store (.dbx) to Outlook Mail Store (.pst) Using Outlook 0
J Outlook 2019 i dont want to buy the snake oil ost to pst programs Using Outlook 1
D Outlook 2016 Unable to load Outlook data pst file Using Outlook 5
J outlook 2007 doesn't let me choose which .pst to search Using Outlook 2
P Outlook pst file is too huge with POP3. How to save more space? Using Outlook 4
I Outlook 365 - import/attach PST file that used POP3 Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
HarvMan Outlook 365 PST Report Using Outlook 1
David in Mississippi New (Feb 2020) install of Outlook 365 - Cannot specify PST for different accounts Using Outlook 0
M PST import from Outlook 2007 to 2010 - Address Book contacts all in 1 group Using Outlook 4
J Export Zimbra to Outlook PST Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
glnz How set up new IMAP on Outlook-Office 365 and merge in pst from Outlook 2003 for same two email accounts? Using Outlook 5
L What are the risks of opening an Outlook 2016 .pst file in Outlook 2010? Using Outlook 4
DariTrevino MIcrosoft Outlook PST file cannot repair Using Outlook 1
R PST->Outlook.com (Import vs Drag-n-Drop methods Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
R How To Repair OST File & Export OST File to Outlook PST ? Using Outlook 3
K Outlook 2010 duplicate download emails 1 inbox 1 PST no updates Using Outlook 3
J Outlook 2016 - use of old PST file - will all emails be downloaded or only latest?? Using Outlook 1
P Moving Outlook.pst & archive1.pst Using Outlook 3
S Outlook does not open the .pst file created by the Outlook Using Outlook 5
G Can't open .pst. Message could not access default folder (Outlook 2010 (.pst). Before that was backi Using Outlook 0
Gunny NFOhiway Outlook PST file and Rules Using Outlook 1
chai1949 pst file in outlook 2016 Using Outlook 3
Liz Schneider PST from Outlook 2013 is now IMAP folders in 2016 Using Outlook 10
S Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2013 pst file Using Outlook 5
Diane Poremsky Remove a password from an Outlook *.pst File Using Outlook 3
GregS Import from Outlook.com .ost to IMAP .pst? Using Outlook 3
O Missing guide "Move an Outlook Personal Folders .pst File" Using Outlook 4