Want to Import Outlook 2003 pst files to later version

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Senior

Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
Hello, I have a super-massive Outlook.pst file (~3GB), and a similarly massive archive.pst file (~2GB). I will soon be bringing up a new machine (Win7 Pro), and I want to import these 2003SP3 files into a later version of Outlook. I am attracted to the 2007/2010 version. This is because I'm seeing comments in other forums and reviews that Office has been going downhill since then, and that it now can be a big hassle just getting it installed. I would also be open to alternative email applications, if there are any that can import massive, old pst files. I would be grateful for comments, suggestions, and/or advice from users more expert than me. Thanks, Ed

I'd agree, Outlook 2010 is the best you can get.

Right click on the file's top folder (Personal Folder), choose Properties, Advanced. Does the format just read 'Personal Folder File', or is there the appendix '(97-2002)'?

Any 3rd party mail application would need a utility to handle the import. If you don't need the extensibility of Outlook, eM client is pretty nice.

As long as the data files are Unicode format (they are if they are larger than 1.92GB), you can use them in Outlook 2010. But if you prefer a new data file, importing won't be a problem either.

As for the version, I happen to like Outlook 2013, but 2010 is fine too. I would avoid 2007 because of it's age - if you are buying, you want a version that will be supported a few years and work on future versions of Windows. You'll get that with 2010/2013, but not with 2007. If you already own a 2007 license, then it's slightly different, but i would still recommend 2010 or 2013.

I'd agree, Outlook 2010 is the best you can get.

Right click on the file's top folder (Personal Folder), choose Properties, Advanced. Does the format just read 'Personal Folder File', or is there the appendix '(97-2002)'?

Hi Michael, Thank you so much for responding! The Format field simply reads "Personal Folders File" without any "appendix." Is that good or bad? 8~)

Any 3rd party mail application would need a utility to handle the import. If you don't need the extensibility of Outlook, eM client is pretty nice.

As long as the data files are Unicode format (they are if they are larger than 1.92GB), you can use them in Outlook 2010. But if you prefer a new data file, importing won't be a problem either.

As for the version, I happen to like Outlook 2013, but 2010 is fine too. I would avoid 2007 because of it's age - if you are buying, you want a version that will be supported a few years and work on future versions of Windows. You'll get that with 2010/2013, but not with 2007. If you already own a 2007 license, then it's slightly different, but i would still recommend 2010 or 2013.
Hi Diane, Thank you for your response! I have seen some opinions that 2007 and 2010 are closely related, whereas you indicate that 2010 and 2013 are closely related. Either way, 2010 might be the sweet spot for my purposes. (I'm very put off by reviews describing major installation headaches with 2013. I guess I'm not "feeling lucky," as Clint would say.)

For security reasons, I would avoid Office 2007 - it's not so much that it's insecure, but MS will not be updating it, like they do 2010. The newer versions have better security features too, like read-only attachments (which are easily disabled by users). Plus, it's 7, 8 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
P Import Categories from Outlook 2003 Using Outlook 8
Calvyn Outlook 2003 cannot import .vcs subject Using Outlook 1
C New pc, new outlook, is it possible to import auto-complete emailaddress Using Outlook 4
T How to Export & Import GMAIL Contacts into Outlook 2021 ? Using Outlook 4
C How to import Outlook calendar? Using Outlook 1
J How to import many msg into different public folders in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
I Outlook 365 - import/attach PST file that used POP3 Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
M PST import from Outlook 2007 to 2010 - Address Book contacts all in 1 group Using Outlook 4
R PST->Outlook.com (Import vs Drag-n-Drop methods Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
T Outlook 2016 CSV Translator Import Error Using Outlook 6
C Import Outlook 2016 contacts into to: field Using Outlook 1
L Need to import multiple Outlook files to Office 365 Account Using Outlook 4
T Outlook Calendar 2016 import Excel Using Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky Batch Import Photos into Outlook Contacts Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Can't import CSV or move Outlook items into EAS Accounts Using Outlook 0
B Import Excel Text into Outlook Calender Using Outlook 4
GregS Import from Outlook.com .ost to IMAP .pst? Using Outlook 3
Q Outlook 2016\365 export specific rules to import in another system Exchange Server Administration 1
Diane Poremsky Macro to Bulk Import Contacts and vCards into Outlook Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Macro to Bulk Import vCards into Outlook Using Outlook 0
e_a_g_l_e_p_i question about saving my .pst so I can import it to my Outlook after I build a new system Using Outlook 10
V Import from Outlook 2013 ost file? Using Outlook 2
A Does Outlook import Gmail Archive? Using Outlook 1
bhogesh How to import .htm saved mail to outlook Using Outlook 3
J Easy way to re-import Gmail folders/labels into Outlook? Using Outlook 9
R How to Import Exchange Calendar data to Outlook.com Calendar Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 11
Sarge USMC Cannot import/export Outlook 13 Using Outlook 6
L Outlook 2007 Codes Export and Import Using Outlook 9
L Outlook 2007 Toolbar Export and Import Using Outlook 7
K Import 2013 Outlook Contact Address into Word Using Outlook 36
tswatek Import feature not working in Outlook Using Outlook 3
Hudas Import Outlook Emails(Inbox) to MS Access as Attachment Using Outlook 1
C Is It Pssible to Import Outlook Email files to Thundebird Using Outlook 2
wallisellener Outlook restarting after BCM import BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
C import pst in Outlook 2011 for Mac Using Outlook 0
H Bulk import of PST files into Outlook Using Outlook 1
K outlook 2007 Export/Import Distribution lists Using Outlook 1
H How do I import all my old email from Entourage 2004 (I have put email in separated folders), into my smart box of Outlook 2011 ? Thanks__ Using Outlook 2
J bug in converting eml files of wlm on import to outlook 2010 Using Outlook 7
J Create or Import a Outlook Rule through C# code. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
N How Can I create an Outlook Macro to import calendar? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
K How to import BCM data to Outlook Contacts? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
A Import vCalendar items on the fly to outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
E How do I import two lines in the address for Outlook? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
J How do I import MSN Hotmail Calendar into Microsoft Outlook? Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
W Outlook 365 File access denied attempting to import .pst Using Outlook 6
S Import PST to Office 365 Using Outlook 1
D ISOmacro to extract active mail senders name and email, CC, Subject line, and filename of attachments and import them into premade excel spread sheet Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
Z Import Tasks from Access Using VBA including User Defined Fields Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
K Disabling import/export button to restrict PST creation Using Outlook 3