Correct Method to set up Outlook.com accounts as Exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fozzie Bear

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Outlook.com (as MS Exchange)
Please can someone clarify the current situation regarding Outlook.com free email accounts on the Office 365 platform.
An article on Slipstick infers all Outlook.com accounts have now migrated? This appears to be correct as when I log in to my accounts online it says Outlook Email in the heading rather than Outlook.com.
Please can you confirm:
1) This migration applies to all free Outlook.com (previously Hotmail or Live email addresses)?
2) Does it also apply to Live Domain accounts where users had an opportunity to use their own domain name?
3) Can ALL accounts be configured as Exchange accounts?
The reason I ask is that I have signed up for Outlook.com premium accounts and could not get them to automatically set up in Outlook 2016. The same accounts set up easily in Outlook 2010 as Exchange accounts.

I have also been bugged with Outlook 2016 constantly requesting a password even though I deleted and re-created the credential in Credential Manager.
These Premium accounts appear to successfully set up as exchange, however I cannot get my other free and Live domain accounts to set up as exchange.

Previously they were all connected by either POP or IMAP which I can still configure successfully but I need the Calendar functionality.
Is there a tutorial I can follow to set these accounts up as Exchange accounts in both Outlook 2010 and also 2016. I tried on a clean install of Outlook 2010 but the setup would not complete and kept asking for the server address which i tried as both a precedi m and eas both of which failed.
As an aside the only way I got a premium mail account set up in Outlook 2016 was to follow a Intermedia knowledge base article 20784 and set up a new profile.
Fozzie

1, 2, 3: Yes.

All accounts in the Outlook.com family were moved to the new servers, including live domains**, and they can be set up as Exchange accounts if you have Outlook 2010 and up with all updates installed. (2007 is supported until Oct 2017)
The reason I ask is that I have signed up for Outlook.com premium accounts and could not get them to automatically set up in Outlook 2016. The same accounts set up easily in Outlook 2010 as Exchange accounts.
If they set up in 2010, they should have worked in 2016 too - when they were previewing the new premium accounts, there were some issues logging in, but the accounts worked.
Is there a tutorial I can follow to set these accounts up as Exchange accounts in both Outlook 2010 and also 2016.
I have some tutorials, but honestly, you shouldn't need them - put in your email address, click Next, enter your password... outlook does the rest. (Steps 1 - 3 Outlook.com: Switch Account to Microsoft Exchange )

Are you using 2 factor auth? If so, you'll need the app password at this time.
I tried on a clean install of Outlook 2010 but the setup would not complete and kept asking for the server address which i tried as both a precedi m and eas both of which failed.
autoaccount setup should work... but if not, use outlook.office365.com for the server name in 2010 (outlook no longer supports Exchange Active Sync for the desktop clients). In 2016, you are limited to using autoaccount setup.

Hi Diane, As ever many thanks for your reply(s) although I think the second may have been meant for another poster :).

The problem appears to be an Outlook 2010 issue. No matter what I try it comes up with error messages as per the attached. I managed to set up an Ex-Live account in Outlook 2016. It would not do so automatically so had to do it manually by selecting Office 365 email which worked.

I believe you have to set up exchange accounts via the Mail (32) applet in the Control Panel with Outlook closed, which I tried. However it just hangs presumably trying to find the account on the platform and then says the server is offline.
In the past with providers like 1&1 there have been Helper applications which you run to connect accounts to exchange. Is there anything like this available for Outlook 2010?

Fozzie

Attachments

• Outlook 2010 (1).jpg
    Outlook 2010 (1).jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 651
  • Outlook 2010 (2).jpg
    Outlook 2010 (2).jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 725
  • Outlook 2010 (3).jpg
    Outlook 2010 (3).jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 718
  • Outlook 2010 (4).jpg
    Outlook 2010 (4).jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 689
  • Outlook 2010 (5).jpg
    Outlook 2010 (5).jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 641
  • Outlook 2010 (6).jpg
    Outlook 2010 (6).jpg
    28 KB · Views: 680
  • Outlook 2010 (7).jpg
    Outlook 2010 (7).jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 667
Hi Diane, As ever many thanks for your reply(s) although I think the second may have been meant for another poster :).
Yes, sorry about that. Too many pages open. :)

The problem appears to be an Outlook 2010 issue. No matter what I try it comes up with error messages as per the attached. I managed to set up an Ex-Live account in Outlook 2016.
Oh... i thought it worked in 2010 and not in 2016. Do you have all Outlook 2010 updates installed?

It's good that the check names dialog doesn't use =smtp:alias@outlook.com format - but it doesn't rule out not having the necessary updates.

if you have all updates installed, I have a crazy video somewhere showing setting up outlook 2010 - had one dialog a million times before it worked (ok, maybe not that much, but patience won out).

If i could only remember where i posted it... ah... youtube:

Thanks Diane,
Sorry for confusion. I manages to set up Outlook.com Premium accounts in Outlook 2010 and 2016 but cannot set up my old Live Domain accounts. However I think I know what the issue is. The outlook.com Premium accounts were set up with a Microsoft Domain hosted by them so presumably the autodiscovery.xml is already on their servers. The domains for both my Business domain and the local village hall charity I support are both hosted by another registration company in the UK. Presumably I need to set up a CNAME entry that points Outlook to the Microsoft mail servers at Office 365.
After some frantic googling I found these details:-
Name: autodiscover
Type: CNAME
TTL: 3600
Data outlook.com

However the article was for using a custom domain with Outlook.com and now that this has migrated across to Office 365 the above details may be incorrect.

Do you know or can you point me to the correct format for setting up an autodiscovery CNAME entry for the new Office365 platform for me to configure at my domain hosting company please?
Many thanks
Fozzie

Correct, you need autodiscover records in your dns. Use autodiscover pointing to autodiscover . Outlook . Com (without the spaces)

don't change the mx records and you shouldn't need to change the spf records.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just wanted to say a quick thank you for your assistance. Having set up the autodiscover CName in the DNS of my hosting company everything now works a treat.
Many thanks
Fozzie

Thanks for the confirmation.

Status
Not open for further replies.