Status
Not open for further replies.

icacream

Outlook version
Outlook 2021 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
hello,
I created a number of rules based on senders, I have 40 so far, I counted them because I just reviewed each of them.
The reason I reviewed them is that, in the folder for SENDER A came two unrelated mails, from SENDER B and SENDER C
As yet, I have created no rules for B or C
I wonder if there is a way to see why these messages have been sent to this folder instead of remaining in the inbox
for the time being I have left them in this wrong folder

the particulars are extremely different for the 3 senders
been using rules in outlook 2007, never had such mix up !!!
wonder if you have met this before in outlook 2016.... :confused:

Outlook doesn’t keep a log. Without seeing all of the rules and the specifics, it’s hard to say. If it happens frequently, add category to the actions and assign a category based on rule name. That will tell you which rule.

How many rules move to the same folder and how do those rules read?

I don't really understand what you write about adding category or assigning a category - I'll read about that
I use outlook in a very simple way, just receiving and sorting out my mail (deeply regret outlook express !!)

today even more mails from different senders end up in the SENDER A folder which is assigned to ebay
I see that I had to create 2 rules for ebay, which I do not really understand since all the mails from ebay in the folder have been sent from "eBay <ebay@ebay.fr>"

but it's not possible to view the details of the rule (what hides behind "from eBay")

I guess I'll remove these 2 rules for the time being and hope that outlook will not select some other folder as an inbox...
what do you think ?

rule.jpg

if you double click on Ebay, does it show you the address? (double click on the address link in the dialog in your screenshot, then again in the next dialog to see the address.) My guess is either they use 2 slightly different addresses or you added it twice.

2018-03-07_7-45-49.png

Add a category to the rule - if the category is not added, something else is moving the message.

2018-03-07_7-45-12.png

thanks for your answer, I feel quite clumsy but I don't find the windows you show :

1 - if I click on eBay in "Rule description" it opens a "Rule Address" window which shows my contacts (eBay is not in my contacts)

2 - email properties looks quite different here :

properties.jpg
3 - the mail from outlook forum got in the eBay folder even though I had already created a rule for these - so I added category to the rule and I guess I'll have to do this for all my rules, this is quite time consuming but of course, I learn more about outlook as I dig into all this !

rule.jpg

and hopefully, once it's properly done I will not need to fiddle with it further.... :rolleyes:

make sure you use stop processing on each rule - do that with at least the ebay rule. also, try moving the ebay rule down the list - they are triggered in the order they are listed and it can help to change the order.

if you double click on outlookforums in your rule, the address book should open - then double click on the address again - it should open the dialog screen with the underlying address.

if you double click on outlookforums in your rule, the address book should open - then double click on the address again - it should open the dialog screen with the underlying address.
got it ! thanks !
I am going to review it all with the infos you gave me
already the mail from outlook forums went in the correct folder :)
I'll observe for a number of days... and let you know !

Thanks, Diane, for all the precious light you cast for me on this subject - I seem to have things work as they should !!! :cool::cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
E Having some trouble with a run-a-script rule (moving mail based on file type) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
ashcosta2 Auto Reply rule based on speficied time Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
I outlook rule keywords based on list Using Outlook 0
C Auto Add a PDF to an outgoing Email, based on a rule Using Outlook 2
J Autoforward emails to different contacts based on certain criteria using only one rule Using Outlook 1
G VBA code to enable a rule based on time of day for a IMAP mail account Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 14
H Rule to move emails based on subject and content Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
N VBA, Rule that will Auto Reply based on time of day Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D Create Exchange Rule for everyone that highlights an email based on content of subject Exchange Server Administration 1
G Create rule based on image in email body Using Outlook 1
D Is it possible to set up an email rule for a user based on alias address? Exchange Server Administration 3
P VBA to add email address to Outlook 365 rule Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
HarvMan Outlook 365 - Rule to Move an Incoming Message to Another Folder Using Outlook 4
B Modify VBA to create a RULE to block multiple messages Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
D VBA - unable to set rule condition 'on this computer only' Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
CWM550 This rule has a condition that the server cannot process? Using Outlook 1
A rule name into message - how? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
O Mail rule issue Using Outlook 3
A manual rule sends mail to wrong folder Using Outlook 5
Aussie Outlook 365 Rule runs manually but returns the error code "an unexpected error has occurred" when incoming mail arrives Using Outlook 1
bhamberg Finding a rouge rule... Using Outlook 6
D How to get this rule to work Using Outlook 0
B Seeking help with Outlook rule Using Outlook 2
K Run a script rule to auto 'send again' on undeliverable emails? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
G Save attachment run a script rule Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
R Rogue Outlook Rule ? Using Outlook 2
P Can I create a Rule that sends me an email when I get a Task? Using Outlook 2
M How create a Rule to filter sender's email with more that one @ sign Using Outlook 1
diver864 vba for a rule to automatically accept meeting requests with 'vacation' in subject, change to all-day event, change to free, don't send reply Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
1 Incorrectly Setup a Rule at Domain level to not allow address from outside domain Exchange Server Administration 2
J Transport Rule to detect Keyword question.. Exchange Server Administration 2
T "Words In Recipient's Address" Rule Causes Outlook To Stop Processing Rules Using Outlook 3
R Outlook Autoforward rule do not work for NDR messages Using Outlook 1
R Setup autofoward rule on a particular folder in Outlook Using Outlook 0
N Rule for "on behalf of" - with changing names Using Outlook 2
S Unable to remove rule outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
O Outlook 2016 This rule will only run when you check your email in Outlook.... Using Outlook 4
Nadine Rule to move attachments with specific name Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
N Outlook Email Rule execution through shortcut keys (VBA codes) Using Outlook 1
dweller Outlook 2010 Rule Ignores VBA Script Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
O Rule to move (specific) messages from Sent folder to Specific folder Using Outlook 1
S Adding new Exchange (2016) rule very slow down Microsoft Outlook Exchange Server Administration 0
B Outlook rule run a Script doesn't work Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
K VBA BeforeItemMove event create rule to always move to its folder. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
Bri the Tech Guy Run Script rule not running for newly arriving messages Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 25
L Making rule to move email to folder from one O365 domain Using Outlook 1
J Assess content of User Defined Field in Rule Using Outlook 3
S Send email via SMTP - use transport rules to add to senders inbox (then rule to move to sent items Exchange Server Administration 1
A Change order of actions in one (!) rule Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
J HELP- Rule to auto strip prepend from external emails Using Outlook 0