Personal Folders Backup aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldmaven

Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
I used to use pfbackup when I was running Outlook 2003 under XP. But it's apparently not compatible with Windows 7, so I uninstalled it. Now, every time I start Outlook I'm told that "C:\users\myname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Addins\c:\Progra~2\Office11\addings\outbak.dll is not a valid Office Add-in."

Clicking "OK" on that error message once just brings it up again, though clicking on the second one ends it until I next start Outlook.

But bakup.dll is not just invalid, now, but altogether gone. So how do I end this error message?

(I forgot to check off that I want to be e-mailed if this is answered.)

The first time I entered the recommended string, it opened Explorer to a folder with Extend.dat, and I deleted that, but the same problem arose when I restarted Outlook. So I did it again, and it went to:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft OffCAT\en\outlook.config.xml
which is very different and did not contain an extend.dat string.

Going to Tools/Options/Other/Add-ins showed nothing that looked useful. Clicking Tools/.../COM add-ins brought up that same error message, which again had to be clicked through twice, then a list of two add-ins (Norton and Evernote).

Note that the original error message had an extra \C:\ in the middle:
...Microsoft\Addins\c:\Progra~2\Office11...
Might that be a clue?

I still have this problem. To me, the solution would seem to be resetting outlook so it would no longer look for the phantom add-in ("C:\users\myname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Addins\c:\Progra~2\Office11\addins\outbak.dll). This address is obviously erroneous, as "C:\" reappears in its middle--and the Addins folder is empty, anyway.

I am about to reinstall Outlook from scratch, as I am moving my system and software to a new drive -- will this cure the problem? Or is it embedded in my Outlook.PST

this should be the correct location - c:\Progra~2\Office11\addins\outbak.dll anyway, it's not stored in the pst, so you'll be ok.

did you ever try to edit the path in the registry? (to remove the part before the c in the center)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Diane Poremsky Repair a Large Outlook Personal Folders File (over 2GB) Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky To Secure Your Personal Folders (*.pst) File Using Outlook 0
O Missing guide "Move an Outlook Personal Folders .pst File" Using Outlook 4
Diane Poremsky How to repair a damaged Outlook Personal Folders file (pst) Using Outlook 0
Sue IMAP account personal folders disappeared Using Outlook 1
R Contacts/Personal Folders, etc Using Outlook 5
T 2010 Personal Folders Question Using Outlook 10
Z Making Outlook Default folders to local/personal instead of Hotmail Using Outlook 8
C stop messages to personal folders Using Outlook 2
H ran scanpst.exe and that fixed most, but cannot access personal folders Using Outlook 1
R Can't close Personal Folders after switching to Exchange 2010 Using Outlook 2
S cannot drag emails to personal folders BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
G Renaming Personal Folders Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Email Macros to go to a SHARED Outlook mailbox Draft folder...NOT my personal Outlook Draft folder Using Outlook 2
S Copy Tasks/Reminders from Shared Mailbox to Personal Tasks/Reminders Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
G Personal Settings within Outlook Using Outlook 2
O Outlook 365 Exchange .ost within Personal Vaul Using Outlook 0
A Microsoft Personal vs Work Accounts in Outlook Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 7
A Created a personal group that now appears to be a public group Using Outlook 3
CWM030 I do not see a way to set the personal archive folder Exchange Server Administration 2
D Winmail.dat with MS Exchange Personal and Outlook.com Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 5
L Receiving work/Exchange email to my personal email Using Outlook 2
Y Move new messages to personal folder which already contains this conversation Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Diane Poremsky Convert an Offline File (.ost) to a Personal File (.pst) Using Outlook 0
K check for sender, follow to my personal adress and delete the sent folder. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
LeeDock Office 365 Personal Backup strategy Using Outlook 1
M Move Sent Items from server folder to personal folder Using Outlook 2
F Sync Sharepoint Calendar With Personal Calendar Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
Alex Hall When updating shared calendar, it does not automatically update personal calendar Using Outlook 3
V question about personal and shared calendars Exchange Server Administration 1
D Move Personal Forms Library Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 10
R How to copy outlook 2010 shared calendar appointment or meeting to personal calendar by vba? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
K How to make use of outlook calendar, contacts & tasks using personal POP3 mail Using Outlook 1
R How to turn OFF the Reminders for shared calendar events but not off personal Using Outlook 1
S Setup many personal calendars on outlook 2013 on new laptop- starting over Using Outlook 1
A How to add personal notes to a meeting - and keep them if update sent? Using Outlook 1
B Contact changes from Personal to Shared when opening custom form Using Outlook 0
S Deleting Personal folder and IMAP account PST files Using Outlook 0
H Moving emails in shared mailbox to personal mailbox Exchange Server Administration 0
S Calendar updates wipe out personal notes. Using Outlook 3
M How to Create Macro in Visual Basic to add Contacts from Personal Folder Using Outlook 4
H Personal Contacts Using Outlook 4
I Personal Folder List Problems Using Outlook 3
A Remove personal contacts script Exchange Server Administration 2
N Personal Distribution Lists Using Outlook 0
V simple move to personal folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
P Does Bus. Cont. Mgr run separate from personal database? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
S Personal Stationery Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
T How to copy an appointment from a public calendar to personal cale Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
L Plaxo and LinkedIn and Personal vs Business Contacts BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2