Problems connecting to BCM

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonM

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
We are running Office/BCM 2010 and had a machine previously working and upgraded it to Windows 10 Pro from Home via the Windows store and in the process the user account changed from a local account to a Windows account. We changed the account back to local but it still isn't able to connect to BCM (getting the user hasn't been granted access or password mismatch messages). We've checked the passwords on both, and also created a new computer user account on both the workstation and server (also Win10 Pro) but still getting the same message. The firewalls are both turned off on both. All of the accounts are local administrators and we did reshare the database for the new account.

Did you ever find a solution for this? I've been pulling my hour out for hours now :(

Nope and oddly my machine just started getting the same message on Monday, and no configuration changes were made on my machine or the server...

After spending over 10 hours on this and posting questions on SQL forums, etc..for which no one was able to answer, i've pretty much given up :(

Are you able to hit the database when logged in with the Administrator account like me? I can mount the database just fine with the Admin account, yet any other account with Admin priviledges cannot..go figure!! Funny thing is all users come up with proper priviledges in SQL also..

Wish Diane could help us out with this :(

KB3200970 & KB3213986 are the problem, i believe uninstalling them will fix the problem.

From my findings looks like the problem arises after the installation of update KB3200970 which addresses a security vulnerability, this update prevents users from accessing the BCM database unless the user is the "Administrator" account. Going over all users in SQL and comparing, nothing can be noticed thus the problem is a windows issue and not an SQL issue.

I formatted the server and installed Win 10 from scratch, BCM database started workign until KB3200970 got installed once again. I believe the update affects DCOM permissions.

Unfortunately this issue surpasses my level of expertese and i don't wanna misguide anyone, but perhaps another factor would be the hardening SAM remote access:

TechNet SAMRi10 - Hardening SAM Remote Access in Windows 10/Server 2016

I have stopped all updated ont he server as i had no more time to allocate for this issue, hopefully others can develop my findings for a complete solution / workaround.

Finally I could manage it with the helping hint above (SAM Remote Access in Windows 10).
If you get the error: Connection Not Completed “…your password on the remote computer must match your password on the local computer.” the following steps will help to let verify your logon credentials as matching correct and establish a connection to your BCM Server.
Error.jpg

The solution is to edit the Group Policy settings on the BCM Server Machine (computer with the shared BCM database) to get access with any BCM Client as a regular User (not only as Administrator).

SAMRi10_2.png

Steps to be taken:
1. Open the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc).
2. In the console tree, click Computer Configuration, click Windows Settings, click Security Settings, click Local Policies and then click Security Options.
3. Find the policy setting “Network access: Restrict clients allowed to make remote calls to SAM” in the details pane, double-click it, “Edit Security” and add the USER you want give access to BCM Server, and then click OK.

This worked for me with Windows 10 (1809), Outlook 2013 with BCM 2010 Add-In.

Is this something which only affects windows server 2016?

I have a single Win10 workstation (1809) connecting to a BCM database shared on windows server 2008 R2 and haven't run into this issue. While I haven't deployed KB3200970 explicitly, wouldn't this be something built-in to builds of Win10 past version 1607?

It looks like KB's 3197954, 3194798, and 3194496 supersede 3200970, but indeed they all only apply to build 1607.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10-version-1607-and-windows-server-2016

Last edited:
Maybe Windows Server 2008 is not (yet) effected, but Windows 10 (1607 and 1809) is. Changing the GPO settings is solving the problem. Our Windows 10 workstations are fully patched, i.e. no Security Update needs to be uninstalled.

When endeavoring to connect to the remote BCM database have utilizing the FQDN or IP the SQL 2008 host is noticeable however the BCM database isn't. Fundamentally, when I connect, the demand experiences and BCM on the customer side can see the remote PC yet when the database list window appears, there is nothing on the rundown.

Maybe Windows Server 2008 is not (yet) effected, but Windows 10 (1607 and 1809) is. Changing the GPO settings is solving the problem. Our Windows 10 workstations are fully patched, i.e. no Security Update needs to be uninstalled.
Okay thanks for the comment. And again, I really appreciate you taking the time to document this here so that if (when) I come across this I already know how to handle it :)
When endeavoring to connect to the remote BCM database have utilizing the FQDN or IP the SQL 2008 host is noticeable however the BCM database isn't. Fundamentally, when I connect, the demand experiences and BCM on the customer side can see the remote PC yet when the database list window appears, there is nothing on the rundown.
Seems to me you're posting in the wrong thread, but anyway it sounds like a permission issue. Make sure you use the Business Contact Manager for Outlook Database Tool to share the database with the user account with which you're trying to connect from the customer side.

Office/BCM is not working on MacBook Pro I also contacted Apple technical service but they told me that there is no fault in the system. So, can anyone tell me a way to solve this issue?

Office/BCM is not working on MacBook Pro I also contacted Apple technical service but they told me that there is no fault in the system. So, can anyone tell me a way to solve this issue?
Without any details it'll be hard for anyone to offer any advice. ;)

In what manner is Office/BCM not working?

BCM is Windows only - it will not install on a mac.

Finally I could manage it with the helping hint above (SAM Remote Access in Windows 10).
If you get the error: Connection Not Completed “…your password on the remote computer must match your password on the local computer.” the following steps will help to let verify your logon credentials as matching correct and establish a connection to your BCM Server.
View attachment 2644

The solution is to edit the Group Policy settings on the BCM Server Machine (computer with the shared BCM database) to get access with any BCM Client as a regular User (not only as Administrator).

View attachment 2645
Steps to be taken:
1. Open the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc).
2. In the console tree, click Computer Configuration, click Windows Settings, click Security Settings, click Local Policies and then click Security Options.
3. Find the policy setting “Network access: Restrict clients allowed to make remote calls to SAM” in the details pane, double-click it, “Edit Security” and add the USER you want give access to BCM Server, and then click OK.

This worked for me with Windows 10 (1809), Outlook 2013 with BCM 2010 Add-In.

I tried it but its not working for me if you have any other solution than this so please reply

BCM isn't chipping away at MacBook Pro I likewise reached Apple specialized administration however they revealed to me that there is no issue in the framework. Anyway, would anyone be able to disclose to me an approach to unravel this issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.