Corrupt PST still seems to cause problems.OL2007 Vista Buisiness

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andy

Sorry about long the long explanation...but you need to know all the details

I guess understand the problem..

I have had ongoing problems since (4 weeks ago) I had a corrupt PST file

occurred on my OL 2007. Microsoft on-line support fixed this on line by

creating a new PST. They said they couldn't delete the old one for some

reason or other.

However, since then I keep getting several reminders from the old PST's

calendar (that I can't access or delete), and MS say I can't.

Also archiving isn't working, and I fear auto Backups also not be working

either, as there seems to be conflict between my old"partly" disabled (it

would seem) PST and the new one MS created. I was going to copy my all my

contacts from Outlook 2007 and Outlook Business Manager to another PC that I

can get running on Office 2007 and start a new with my newest PST created by

MS support with all my contacts as above. I was then going to reformate the

origin PC as there are known problems on the HD (The machine with the

corrupted PST is newer and faster and better than my spare that I was going

to copy to)and then reinstall Office 2007 and copy the newer PST and all my

contacts back to a clean drive. Am I dreaming? I guess there are pit falls

and I'm not 100% of the best way to do this...Any detailed help would be

greatly appreciated!

Andy

Ian D Anderson
 

Karl Timmermans

Senior Member
Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
Something about the description doesn't add up but without knowing all the

salient details, hard to provide any definitive comments. However, based on

the description provided:

#1 - What exactly was copied from the <old> to <new> PST?

#2 - Was the new PST file set up as the new default (i.e. contains the

default inbox) for the profile? (sounds like it wasn't)

#3 - Is assumption correct that in your current profile - both old and new

PST files are open and in use?

#4 - For background info, what exactly was (or wasn't as the case may be)

happening that resulted in the PST file being deemed corrupt?

On the premise that "all folders" were copied from the old PST to the new

PST AND the new PST was not setup as the default - you should be able to get

back on track by doing the following:

#1 - Create a new profile (just to start off clean) with a new default PST

file

#2 - Open Outlook and add the original <new> PST file (from menu - File Open Outlook Data File

#3 - Copy the folder info from original <new> PST file (from item#2) to the

corresponding <default folders> in the default PST file (from item#1)

#4 - If not all the info was copied to the <original new> PST file - you'll

need to rinse and repeat items 2&3 using the original corrupted PST file to

salvage any remaining info <if possible
#5 - When done - close all PST files except for the one created in item#1

You <should> be back on track <IF> the undelying assumptions upon which the

above steps are based are in fact correct otherwise would really be good to

know what the actual reason(s) was/were for actions taken other than

"..............for some reason or other"

Karl

_____________

ContactGenie - Importer 1.3 / DataPorter 2.0 / Exporter

"Power contact importers/exporters for MS Outlook '2000/2007"

"Andy" <Andy> wrote in message

news:F2C5941E-48F4-4006-B5F7-C69411D546C7@microsoft.com...
> Sorry about long the long explanation...but you need to know all the
> details
> I guess understand the problem..

> I have had ongoing problems since (4 weeks ago) I had a corrupt PST file
> occurred on my OL 2007. Microsoft on-line support fixed this on line by
> creating a new PST. They said they couldn't delete the old one for some
> reason or other.
> However, since then I keep getting several reminders from the old PST's
> calendar (that I can't access or delete), and MS say I can't.
> Also archiving isn't working, and I fear auto Backups also not be working
> either, as there seems to be conflict between my old"partly" disabled (it
> would seem) PST and the new one MS created. I was going to copy my all my
> contacts from Outlook 2007 and Outlook Business Manager to another PC that
> I
> can get running on Office 2007 and start a new with my newest PST created
> by
> MS support with all my contacts as above. I was then going to reformate
> the
> origin PC as there are known problems on the HD (The machine with the
> corrupted PST is newer and faster and better than my spare that I was
> going
> to copy to)and then reinstall Office 2007 and copy the newer PST and all
> my
> contacts back to a clean drive. Am I dreaming? I guess there are pit
> falls
> and I'm not 100% of the best way to do this...Any detailed help would be
> greatly appreciated!

> Andy
> > Ian D Anderson
 
A

Andy

Re: Corrupt PST still seems to cause problems.OL2007 Vista Buisine

Hello Karl,

Your point 1. If you mean what did MS copy from old to new. Nothing (as far

as I know) as I had no history of sent or received e-mails, albiet they are

there in folders lower down all the floders. If I click and expand I can see

all the old folders. In fact there are 8 e-mail in my old inbox. I can open

them but if I try to delete them I get the message "Outlook PST in use and

cannot be accessed. Close any applications that is using the file, and then

try again. You might need to restart your computer."

This was the first error message that I got when the problem statted.

Your point 2. Yes as far as I can see.

Your point 3. Yes I can see them both.

Your point 4. The error message I mentioned above.

Your solution 1. How do I open a new profile?

Your soloution 2 Ok There are 4 entries. One folder called Accounts.

Archive, 2071,561 KB, Outlook 1,540.345 KB, and Persoanl Floders(1) 414,673

KB in this location.

Your solution 3. Do you mean the above Folder and 3 files?

Your solution 4. The corruppt PST was not usa abe according to MS. Although

I can open old e-mail and fwd them ( I cant search in the old PST) to my new

in box.

Your solution 5. On this computer not the one I'm going to copy to. I keep

getting the above error message and this the same when I try to close the

reminders from my calanda that are still in the old corrupt PST file.

I'm happy to lose all the old e-mails in and out (or store then on a memory

stick) but I'd like to stop the rrror massages from the old PST if possible

and delete it from the foldrs lists. But I bet I get the same old error

message as above.

So do I set all this up on my spare computer? If I copy the files as details

above to te new computer will I get all my in and out e-mails from the new

PST "Persoanl Floders(1) 414,673 KB" and all my contacts?

Andy

"Karl Timmermans" wrote:


> Something about the description doesn't add up but without knowing all the
> salient details, hard to provide any definitive comments. However, based on
> the description provided:

> #1 - What exactly was copied from the <old> to <new> PST?
> #2 - Was the new PST file set up as the new default (i.e. contains the
> default inbox) for the profile? (sounds like it wasn't)
> #3 - Is assumption correct that in your current profile - both old and new
> PST files are open and in use?
> #4 - For background info, what exactly was (or wasn't as the case may be)
> happening that resulted in the PST file being deemed corrupt?

> On the premise that "all folders" were copied from the old PST to the new
> PST AND the new PST was not setup as the default - you should be able to get
> back on track by doing the following:

> #1 - Create a new profile (just to start off clean) with a new default PST
> file
> #2 - Open Outlook and add the original <new> PST file (from menu - File > Open Outlook Data File
> #3 - Copy the folder info from original <new> PST file (from item#2) to the
> corresponding <default folders> in the default PST file (from item#1)
> #4 - If not all the info was copied to the <original new> PST file - you'll
> need to rinse and repeat items 2&3 using the original corrupted PST file to
> salvage any remaining info <if possible
> #5 - When done - close all PST files except for the one created in item#1

> You <should> be back on track <IF> the undelying assumptions upon which the
> above steps are based are in fact correct otherwise would really be good to
> know what the actual reason(s) was/were for actions taken other than
> "..............for some reason or other"

> Karl
> _____________
>

> ContactGenie - Importer 1.3 / DataPorter 2.0 / Exporter
> "Power contact importers/exporters for MS Outlook '2000/2007"
>

> "Andy" <Andy> wrote in message
> news:F2C5941E-48F4-4006-B5F7-C69411D546C7@microsoft.com...
> > Sorry about long the long explanation...but you need to know all the
> > details
> > I guess understand the problem..
> > I have had ongoing problems since (4 weeks ago) I had a corrupt PST file
> > occurred on my OL 2007. Microsoft on-line support fixed this on line by
> > creating a new PST. They said they couldn't delete the old one for some
> > reason or other.
> > However, since then I keep getting several reminders from the old PST's
> > calendar (that I can't access or delete), and MS say I can't.
> > Also archiving isn't working, and I fear auto Backups also not be working
> > either, as there seems to be conflict between my old"partly" disabled (it
> > would seem) PST and the new one MS created. I was going to copy my all my
> > contacts from Outlook 2007 and Outlook Business Manager to another PC that
> > I
> > can get running on Office 2007 and start a new with my newest PST created
> > by
> > MS support with all my contacts as above. I was then going to reformate
> > the
> > origin PC as there are known problems on the HD (The machine with the
> > corrupted PST is newer and faster and better than my spare that I was
> > going
> > to copy to)and then reinstall Office 2007 and copy the newer PST and all
> > my
> > contacts back to a clean drive. Am I dreaming? I guess there are pit
> > falls
> > and I'm not 100% of the best way to do this...Any detailed help would be
> > greatly appreciated!
> > Andy
> > > > Ian D Anderson


>
 

Karl Timmermans

Senior Member
Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
Re: Corrupt PST still seems to cause problems.OL2007 Vista Buisine

Just to clarify something - was your original Otlk installation for Outlook

2007 or Outlook 2007 with BCM? If it's the latter, am going to bow out of

this. Original response was purely related to O'2007 (don't have a test

system currently configured with BCM)

That said, your original default PST file should have had more then just the

4 folders you identified. There is a list of standard folders that are part

of the PST file designated as the default (Inbox, Contacts, Tasks, Notes,

Outbox, Sent Items etc etc). Completely confused as to what you have in

terms of original versus what was created so not going to try and address

anything related to the original problem or what MS did or didn't do

(perhaps someone else may understand your description better than I and

comment accordingly).

To further clarify - a standard Outlook config is based on using a single

PST file which contains all the required info (in different folders). There

are no additional "files".

To create a new profile:

-a) close Outlook --> Start Menu --> Control Panel --> Mail --> Show

Profiles --> Add

(follow screens to and fill in required info regarding your email

account etc)

-b) it will assign a new pst file to be used as the default - should be

"Outlook#.pst" (where # is an incrementing number depending on the number of

Outlook.Pst files have been previously created. You can check exactly what

has been assigned by checing the "properties" for the newly created

profile - check "Data Files"

-c) assign the newly created profile as the default to be used when you open

Outlook

-d) exit out of this process

-e) open Outlook - you should now have a completely empty and properly

configured default PST file

You will have to determine whether or not anything is recoverable from the

previous PST files by opening one or both of those and attempt to copy

whatever info to the new default PST file that will be created when you open

Outlook for the first time using the new profile. If you do nothing else

other than opening Outlook using the new profile - you will have a clean

Outlook config with no previous info and should be able to use Outlook

normally.

Karl

_____________

ContactGenie - Importer 1.3 / DataPorter 2.0 / Exporter

"Power contact importers/exporters for MS Outlook '2000/2007"

"Andy" <Andy> wrote in message

news:B8BF4B96-DF13-47D4-A195-9C7FA522CC40@microsoft.com...
> Hello Karl,

> Your point 1. If you mean what did MS copy from old to new. Nothing (as
> far
> as I know) as I had no history of sent or received e-mails, albiet they
> are
> there in folders lower down all the floders. If I click and expand I can
> see
> all the old folders. In fact there are 8 e-mail in my old inbox. I can
> open
> them but if I try to delete them I get the message "Outlook PST in use and
> cannot be accessed. Close any applications that is using the file, and
> then
> try again. You might need to restart your computer."

> This was the first error message that I got when the problem statted.

> Your point 2. Yes as far as I can see.

> Your point 3. Yes I can see them both.

> Your point 4. The error message I mentioned above.

> Your solution 1. How do I open a new profile?
> Your soloution 2 Ok There are 4 entries. One folder called Accounts.
> Archive, 2071,561 KB, Outlook 1,540.345 KB, and Persoanl Floders(1)
> 414,673
> KB in this location.
> Your solution 3. Do you mean the above Folder and 3 files?
> Your solution 4. The corruppt PST was not usa abe according to MS.
> Although
> I can open old e-mail and fwd them ( I cant search in the old PST) to my
> new
> in box.

> Your solution 5. On this computer not the one I'm going to copy to. I keep
> getting the above error message and this the same when I try to close the
> reminders from my calanda that are still in the old corrupt PST file.

> I'm happy to lose all the old e-mails in and out (or store then on a
> memory
> stick) but I'd like to stop the rrror massages from the old PST if
> possible
> and delete it from the foldrs lists. But I bet I get the same old error
> message as above.

> So do I set all this up on my spare computer? If I copy the files as
> details
> above to te new computer will I get all my in and out e-mails from the new
> PST "Persoanl Floders(1) 414,673 KB" and all my contacts?

> Andy

> "Karl Timmermans" wrote:
>
> > Something about the description doesn't add up but without knowing all
> > the
> > salient details, hard to provide any definitive comments. However, based
> > on
> > the description provided:
>

>> #1 - What exactly was copied from the <old> to <new> PST?
> > #2 - Was the new PST file set up as the new default (i.e. contains the
> > default inbox) for the profile? (sounds like it wasn't)
> > #3 - Is assumption correct that in your current profile - both old and
> > new
> > PST files are open and in use?
> > #4 - For background info, what exactly was (or wasn't as the case may be)
> > happening that resulted in the PST file being deemed corrupt?
>

>> On the premise that "all folders" were copied from the old PST to the new
> > PST AND the new PST was not setup as the default - you should be able to
> > get
> > back on track by doing the following:
>

>> #1 - Create a new profile (just to start off clean) with a new default
> > PST
> > file
> > #2 - Open Outlook and add the original <new> PST file (from menu -
> > File >> Open Outlook Data File
> > #3 - Copy the folder info from original <new> PST file (from item#2) to
> > the
> > corresponding <default folders> in the default PST file (from item#1)
> > #4 - If not all the info was copied to the <original new> PST file -
> > you'll
> > need to rinse and repeat items 2&3 using the original corrupted PST file
> > to
> > salvage any remaining info <if possible
>> #5 - When done - close all PST files except for the one created in item#1
>

>> You <should> be back on track <IF> the undelying assumptions upon which
> > the
> > above steps are based are in fact correct otherwise would really be good
> > to
> > know what the actual reason(s) was/were for actions taken other than
> > "..............for some reason or other"
>

>> Karl
> > _____________
> >

> > ContactGenie - Importer 1.3 / DataPorter 2.0 / Exporter
> > "Power contact importers/exporters for MS Outlook '2000/2007"
> >

>

>
>
>
>> "Andy" <Andy> wrote in message
> > news:F2C5941E-48F4-4006-B5F7-C69411D546C7@microsoft.com...
> > > Sorry about long the long explanation...but you need to know all the
> > > details
> > > I guess understand the problem..
> >> > I have had ongoing problems since (4 weeks ago) I had a corrupt PST
> > > file
> > > occurred on my OL 2007. Microsoft on-line support fixed this on line by
> > > creating a new PST. They said they couldn't delete the old one for some
> > > reason or other.
> > > However, since then I keep getting several reminders from the old PST's
> > > calendar (that I can't access or delete), and MS say I can't.
> > > Also archiving isn't working, and I fear auto Backups also not be
> > > working
> > > either, as there seems to be conflict between my old"partly" disabled
> > > (it
> > > would seem) PST and the new one MS created. I was going to copy my all
> > > my
> > > contacts from Outlook 2007 and Outlook Business Manager to another PC
> > > that
> > > I
> > > can get running on Office 2007 and start a new with my newest PST
> > > created
> > > by
> > > MS support with all my contacts as above. I was then going to
> > > reformate
> > > the
> > > origin PC as there are known problems on the HD (The machine with the
> > > corrupted PST is newer and faster and better than my spare that I was
> > > going
> > > to copy to)and then reinstall Office 2007 and copy the newer PST and
> > > all
> > > my
> > > contacts back to a clean drive. Am I dreaming? I guess there are pit
> > > falls
> > > and I'm not 100% of the best way to do this...Any detailed help would
> > > be
> > > greatly appreciated!
> >> > Andy
> > > > > > Ian D Anderson

>

>
>>
 
A

Andy

Re: Corrupt PST still seems to cause problems.OL2007 Vista Buisine

Karl,

Thanks again!!

Orginall installed without BCM. I only installed BCM since MS created a new

PST.

I do have all the usual list of folders for the new PST and also all the old

ones below that were corrupted.

I have tried to locate the files that I can see if I go >File > Open> Data

file as I want to copy them once I have closed OL. I cant locate them. I can

only find all the old corrupt files... I don't know where MS stored them but

it seems to be: AppsData/local/ms/ol but I cant find this file. maybe they

hide it somewhere?

As I want to format this, my fastest Laptop due to known HD problem. If I

copy my current PST (1) (If I can ever find it) to a newly install OL 2007 on

my spare computer while I format and re-install Office 2007 and then copy

back should I be rid of all the old corrupted files and have a clean start

form my current Personl Folders (1) that current sits on my computer?

Sorry to be a bit thick but not too good with PC files and things.

Again, Thanks Karl!

Andy.

"Karl Timmermans" wrote:


> Just to clarify something - was your original Otlk installation for Outlook
> 2007 or Outlook 2007 with BCM? If it's the latter, am going to bow out of
> this. Original response was purely related to O'2007 (don't have a test
> system currently configured with BCM)

> That said, your original default PST file should have had more then just the
> 4 folders you identified. There is a list of standard folders that are part
> of the PST file designated as the default (Inbox, Contacts, Tasks, Notes,
> Outbox, Sent Items etc etc). Completely confused as to what you have in
> terms of original versus what was created so not going to try and address
> anything related to the original problem or what MS did or didn't do
> (perhaps someone else may understand your description better than I and
> comment accordingly).

> To further clarify - a standard Outlook config is based on using a single
> PST file which contains all the required info (in different folders). There
> are no additional "files".

> To create a new profile:

> -a) close Outlook --> Start Menu --> Control Panel --> Mail --> Show
> Profiles --> Add
> (follow screens to and fill in required info regarding your email
> account etc)
> -b) it will assign a new pst file to be used as the default - should be
> "Outlook#.pst" (where # is an incrementing number depending on the number of
> Outlook.Pst files have been previously created. You can check exactly what
> has been assigned by checing the "properties" for the newly created
> profile - check "Data Files"
> -c) assign the newly created profile as the default to be used when you open
> Outlook
> -d) exit out of this process
> -e) open Outlook - you should now have a completely empty and properly
> configured default PST file

> You will have to determine whether or not anything is recoverable from the
> previous PST files by opening one or both of those and attempt to copy
> whatever info to the new default PST file that will be created when you open
> Outlook for the first time using the new profile. If you do nothing else
> other than opening Outlook using the new profile - you will have a clean
> Outlook config with no previous info and should be able to use Outlook
> normally.

> Karl

> _____________
>

> ContactGenie - Importer 1.3 / DataPorter 2.0 / Exporter
> "Power contact importers/exporters for MS Outlook '2000/2007"
>

> "Andy" <Andy> wrote in message
> news:B8BF4B96-DF13-47D4-A195-9C7FA522CC40@microsoft.com...
> > Hello Karl,
> > Your point 1. If you mean what did MS copy from old to new. Nothing (as
> > far
> > as I know) as I had no history of sent or received e-mails, albiet they
> > are
> > there in folders lower down all the floders. If I click and expand I can
> > see
> > all the old folders. In fact there are 8 e-mail in my old inbox. I can
> > open
> > them but if I try to delete them I get the message "Outlook PST in use and
> > cannot be accessed. Close any applications that is using the file, and
> > then
> > try again. You might need to restart your computer."
> > This was the first error message that I got when the problem statted.
> > Your point 2. Yes as far as I can see.
> > Your point 3. Yes I can see them both.
> > Your point 4. The error message I mentioned above.
> > Your solution 1. How do I open a new profile?
> > Your soloution 2 Ok There are 4 entries. One folder called Accounts.
> > Archive, 2071,561 KB, Outlook 1,540.345 KB, and Persoanl Floders(1)
> > 414,673
> > KB in this location.
> > Your solution 3. Do you mean the above Folder and 3 files?
> > Your solution 4. The corruppt PST was not usa abe according to MS.
> > Although
> > I can open old e-mail and fwd them ( I cant search in the old PST) to my
> > new
> > in box.
> > Your solution 5. On this computer not the one I'm going to copy to. I keep
> > getting the above error message and this the same when I try to close the
> > reminders from my calanda that are still in the old corrupt PST file.
> > I'm happy to lose all the old e-mails in and out (or store then on a
> > memory
> > stick) but I'd like to stop the rrror massages from the old PST if
> > possible
> > and delete it from the foldrs lists. But I bet I get the same old error
> > message as above.
> > So do I set all this up on my spare computer? If I copy the files as
> > details
> > above to te new computer will I get all my in and out e-mails from the new
> > PST "Persoanl Floders(1) 414,673 KB" and all my contacts?
> > Andy
> > "Karl Timmermans" wrote:
> >
> >> Something about the description doesn't add up but without knowing all
> >> the
> >> salient details, hard to provide any definitive comments. However, based
> >> on
> >> the description provided:
> >
> >> #1 - What exactly was copied from the <old> to <new> PST?
> >> #2 - Was the new PST file set up as the new default (i.e. contains the
> >> default inbox) for the profile? (sounds like it wasn't)
> >> #3 - Is assumption correct that in your current profile - both old and
> >> new
> >> PST files are open and in use?
> >> #4 - For background info, what exactly was (or wasn't as the case may be)
> >> happening that resulted in the PST file being deemed corrupt?
> >
> >> On the premise that "all folders" were copied from the old PST to the new
> >> PST AND the new PST was not setup as the default - you should be able to
> >> get
> >> back on track by doing the following:
> >
> >> #1 - Create a new profile (just to start off clean) with a new default
> >> PST
> >> file
> >> #2 - Open Outlook and add the original <new> PST file (from menu -
> >> File > >> Open Outlook Data File
> >> #3 - Copy the folder info from original <new> PST file (from item#2) to
> >> the
> >> corresponding <default folders> in the default PST file (from item#1)
> >> #4 - If not all the info was copied to the <original new> PST file -
> >> you'll
> >> need to rinse and repeat items 2&3 using the original corrupted PST file
> >> to
> >> salvage any remaining info <if possible
> >> #5 - When done - close all PST files except for the one created in item#1
> >
> >> You <should> be back on track <IF> the undelying assumptions upon which
> >> the
> >> above steps are based are in fact correct otherwise would really be good
> >> to
> >> know what the actual reason(s) was/were for actions taken other than
> >> "..............for some reason or other"
> >
> >> Karl
> >> _____________
> >>

> >> ContactGenie - Importer 1.3 / DataPorter 2.0 / Exporter
> >> "Power contact importers/exporters for MS Outlook '2000/2007"
> >>

> >
> >
> >
> >
> >> "Andy" <Andy> wrote in message
> >> news:F2C5941E-48F4-4006-B5F7-C69411D546C7@microsoft.com...
> >> > Sorry about long the long explanation...but you need to know all the
> >> > details
> >> > I guess understand the problem..
> >> >> > I have had ongoing problems since (4 weeks ago) I had a corrupt PST
> >> > file
> >> > occurred on my OL 2007. Microsoft on-line support fixed this on line by
> >> > creating a new PST. They said they couldn't delete the old one for some
> >> > reason or other.
> >> > However, since then I keep getting several reminders from the old PST's
> >> > calendar (that I can't access or delete), and MS say I can't.
> >> > Also archiving isn't working, and I fear auto Backups also not be
> >> > working
> >> > either, as there seems to be conflict between my old"partly" disabled
> >> > (it
> >> > would seem) PST and the new one MS created. I was going to copy my all
> >> > my
> >> > contacts from Outlook 2007 and Outlook Business Manager to another PC
> >> > that
> >> > I
> >> > can get running on Office 2007 and start a new with my newest PST
> >> > created
> >> > by
> >> > MS support with all my contacts as above. I was then going to
> >> > reformate
> >> > the
> >> > origin PC as there are known problems on the HD (The machine with the
> >> > corrupted PST is newer and faster and better than my spare that I was
> >> > going
> >> > to copy to)and then reinstall Office 2007 and copy the newer PST and
> >> > all
> >> > my
> >> > contacts back to a clean drive. Am I dreaming? I guess there are pit
> >> > falls
> >> > and I'm not 100% of the best way to do this...Any detailed help would
> >> > be
> >> > greatly appreciated!
> >> >> > Andy
> >> > > >> > Ian D Anderson
> >
> >
> >>


>
 
D

DL

Re: Corrupt PST still seems to cause problems.OL2007 Vista Buisine

You have to search to include hidden for the *.pst's

You dont copy any found to Outlook, or the default location, on the other

PC, you copy them to eg a Documents folder, then you open them within

Outlook, File>Open>Data File

"Andy" <Andy> wrote in message

news:1382B3CB-D161-4A5C-9859-2024530F2047@microsoft.com...
> Karl,

> Thanks again!!

> Orginall installed without BCM. I only installed BCM since MS created a
> new
> PST.

> I do have all the usual list of folders for the new PST and also all the
> old
> ones below that were corrupted.

> I have tried to locate the files that I can see if I go >File > Open> Data
> file as I want to copy them once I have closed OL. I cant locate them. I
> can
> only find all the old corrupt files... I don't know where MS stored them
> but
> it seems to be: AppsData/local/ms/ol but I cant find this file. maybe
> they
> hide it somewhere?

> As I want to format this, my fastest Laptop due to known HD problem. If I
> copy my current PST (1) (If I can ever find it) to a newly install OL 2007
> on
> my spare computer while I format and re-install Office 2007 and then copy
> back should I be rid of all the old corrupted files and have a clean start
> form my current Personl Folders (1) that current sits on my computer?

> Sorry to be a bit thick but not too good with PC files and things.

> Again, Thanks Karl!

> Andy.

> "Karl Timmermans" wrote:
>
> > Just to clarify something - was your original Otlk installation for
> > Outlook
> > 2007 or Outlook 2007 with BCM? If it's the latter, am going to bow out of
> > this. Original response was purely related to O'2007 (don't have a test
> > system currently configured with BCM)
>

>> That said, your original default PST file should have had more then just
> > the
> > 4 folders you identified. There is a list of standard folders that are
> > part
> > of the PST file designated as the default (Inbox, Contacts, Tasks, Notes,
> > Outbox, Sent Items etc etc). Completely confused as to what you have in
> > terms of original versus what was created so not going to try and address
> > anything related to the original problem or what MS did or didn't do
> > (perhaps someone else may understand your description better than I and
> > comment accordingly).
>

>> To further clarify - a standard Outlook config is based on using a single
> > PST file which contains all the required info (in different folders).
> > There
> > are no additional "files".
>

>> To create a new profile:
>

>> -a) close Outlook --> Start Menu --> Control Panel --> Mail --> Show
> > Profiles --> Add
> > (follow screens to and fill in required info regarding your email
> > account etc)
> > -b) it will assign a new pst file to be used as the default - should be
> > "Outlook#.pst" (where # is an incrementing number depending on the number
> > of
> > Outlook.Pst files have been previously created. You can check exactly
> > what
> > has been assigned by checing the "properties" for the newly created
> > profile - check "Data Files"
> > -c) assign the newly created profile as the default to be used when you
> > open
> > Outlook
> > -d) exit out of this process
> > -e) open Outlook - you should now have a completely empty and properly
> > configured default PST file
>

>> You will have to determine whether or not anything is recoverable from
> > the
> > previous PST files by opening one or both of those and attempt to copy
> > whatever info to the new default PST file that will be created when you
> > open
> > Outlook for the first time using the new profile. If you do nothing else
> > other than opening Outlook using the new profile - you will have a clean
> > Outlook config with no previous info and should be able to use Outlook
> > normally.
>

>> Karl
>

>> _____________
> >

> > ContactGenie - Importer 1.3 / DataPorter 2.0 / Exporter
> > "Power contact importers/exporters for MS Outlook '2000/2007"
> >

>

>
>
>
>
>> "Andy" <Andy> wrote in message
> > news:B8BF4B96-DF13-47D4-A195-9C7FA522CC40@microsoft.com...
> > > Hello Karl,
> >> > Your point 1. If you mean what did MS copy from old to new. Nothing (as
> > > far
> > > as I know) as I had no history of sent or received e-mails, albiet they
> > > are
> > > there in folders lower down all the floders. If I click and expand I
> > > can
> > > see
> > > all the old folders. In fact there are 8 e-mail in my old inbox. I can
> > > open
> > > them but if I try to delete them I get the message "Outlook PST in use
> > > and
> > > cannot be accessed. Close any applications that is using the file, and
> > > then
> > > try again. You might need to restart your computer."
> >> > This was the first error message that I got when the problem statted.
> >> > Your point 2. Yes as far as I can see.
> >> > Your point 3. Yes I can see them both.
> >> > Your point 4. The error message I mentioned above.
> >> > Your solution 1. How do I open a new profile?
> > > Your soloution 2 Ok There are 4 entries. One folder called Accounts.
> > > Archive, 2071,561 KB, Outlook 1,540.345 KB, and Persoanl Floders(1)
> > > 414,673
> > > KB in this location.
> > > Your solution 3. Do you mean the above Folder and 3 files?
> > > Your solution 4. The corruppt PST was not usa abe according to MS.
> > > Although
> > > I can open old e-mail and fwd them ( I cant search in the old PST) to
> > > my
> > > new
> > > in box.
> >> > Your solution 5. On this computer not the one I'm going to copy to. I
> > > keep
> > > getting the above error message and this the same when I try to close
> > > the
> > > reminders from my calanda that are still in the old corrupt PST file.
> >> > I'm happy to lose all the old e-mails in and out (or store then on a
> > > memory
> > > stick) but I'd like to stop the rrror massages from the old PST if
> > > possible
> > > and delete it from the foldrs lists. But I bet I get the same old error
> > > message as above.
> >> > So do I set all this up on my spare computer? If I copy the files as
> > > details
> > > above to te new computer will I get all my in and out e-mails from the
> > > new
> > > PST "Persoanl Floders(1) 414,673 KB" and all my contacts?
> >> > Andy
> >> > "Karl Timmermans" wrote:
> >> >> Something about the description doesn't add up but without knowing all
> > >> the
> > >> salient details, hard to provide any definitive comments. However,
> > >> based
> > >> on
> > >> the description provided:
> > >
>> >> #1 - What exactly was copied from the <old> to <new> PST?
> > >> #2 - Was the new PST file set up as the new default (i.e. contains the
> > >> default inbox) for the profile? (sounds like it wasn't)
> > >> #3 - Is assumption correct that in your current profile - both old and
> > >> new
> > >> PST files are open and in use?
> > >> #4 - For background info, what exactly was (or wasn't as the case may
> > >> be)
> > >> happening that resulted in the PST file being deemed corrupt?
> > >
>> >> On the premise that "all folders" were copied from the old PST to the
> > >> new
> > >> PST AND the new PST was not setup as the default - you should be able
> > >> to
> > >> get
> > >> back on track by doing the following:
> > >
>> >> #1 - Create a new profile (just to start off clean) with a new default
> > >> PST
> > >> file
> > >> #2 - Open Outlook and add the original <new> PST file (from menu -
> > >> File >> >> Open Outlook Data File
> > >> #3 - Copy the folder info from original <new> PST file (from item#2)
> > >> to
> > >> the
> > >> corresponding <default folders> in the default PST file (from item#1)
> > >> #4 - If not all the info was copied to the <original new> PST file -
> > >> you'll
> > >> need to rinse and repeat items 2&3 using the original corrupted PST
> > >> file
> > >> to
> > >> salvage any remaining info <if possible
>> >> #5 - When done - close all PST files except for the one created in
> > >> item#1
> > >
>> >> You <should> be back on track <IF> the undelying assumptions upon
> > >> which
> > >> the
> > >> above steps are based are in fact correct otherwise would really be
> > >> good
> > >> to
> > >> know what the actual reason(s) was/were for actions taken other than
> > >> "..............for some reason or other"
> > >
>> >> Karl
> > >> _____________
> > >>

> > >> ContactGenie - Importer 1.3 / DataPorter 2.0 / Exporter
> > >> "Power contact importers/exporters for MS Outlook '2000/2007"
> > >>

> > >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >> "Andy" <Andy> wrote in message
> > >> news:F2C5941E-48F4-4006-B5F7-C69411D546C7@microsoft.com...
> > >> > Sorry about long the long explanation...but you need to know all the
> > >> > details
> > >> > I guess understand the problem..
> > >>> >> > I have had ongoing problems since (4 weeks ago) I had a corrupt PST
> > >> > file
> > >> > occurred on my OL 2007. Microsoft on-line support fixed this on line
> > >> > by
> > >> > creating a new PST. They said they couldn't delete the old one for
> > >> > some
> > >> > reason or other.
> > >> > However, since then I keep getting several reminders from the old
> > >> > PST's
> > >> > calendar (that I can't access or delete), and MS say I can't.
> > >> > Also archiving isn't working, and I fear auto Backups also not be
> > >> > working
> > >> > either, as there seems to be conflict between my old"partly"
> > >> > disabled
> > >> > (it
> > >> > would seem) PST and the new one MS created. I was going to copy my
> > >> > all
> > >> > my
> > >> > contacts from Outlook 2007 and Outlook Business Manager to another
> > >> > PC
> > >> > that
> > >> > I
> > >> > can get running on Office 2007 and start a new with my newest PST
> > >> > created
> > >> > by
> > >> > MS support with all my contacts as above. I was then going to
> > >> > reformate
> > >> > the
> > >> > origin PC as there are known problems on the HD (The machine with
> > >> > the
> > >> > corrupted PST is newer and faster and better than my spare that I
> > >> > was
> > >> > going
> > >> > to copy to)and then reinstall Office 2007 and copy the newer PST and
> > >> > all
> > >> > my
> > >> > contacts back to a clean drive. Am I dreaming? I guess there are pit
> > >> > falls
> > >> > and I'm not 100% of the best way to do this...Any detailed help
> > >> > would
> > >> > be
> > >> > greatly appreciated!
> > >>> >> > Andy
> > >> > > > >> > Ian D Anderson
> > >
>> >
>> >>

>

>
>>
 
A

Andy

Re: Corrupt PST still seems to cause problems.OL2007 Vista Buisine

Thanks DL, but how do I search to include hidden files. I cant see an option

do this. I understand the *.pst but to include hidden if not known. Or does

*.Pst includ all hidden?

Andy

Ian D Anderson

"DL" wrote:


> You have to search to include hidden for the *.pst's
> You dont copy any found to Outlook, or the default location, on the other
> PC, you copy them to eg a Documents folder, then you open them within
> Outlook, File>Open>Data File

> "Andy" <Andy> wrote in message
> news:1382B3CB-D161-4A5C-9859-2024530F2047@microsoft.com...
> > Karl,
> > Thanks again!!
> > Orginall installed without BCM. I only installed BCM since MS created a
> > new
> > PST.
> > I do have all the usual list of folders for the new PST and also all the
> > old
> > ones below that were corrupted.
> > I have tried to locate the files that I can see if I go >File > Open> Data
> > file as I want to copy them once I have closed OL. I cant locate them. I
> > can
> > only find all the old corrupt files... I don't know where MS stored them
> > but
> > it seems to be: AppsData/local/ms/ol but I cant find this file. maybe
> > they
> > hide it somewhere?
> > As I want to format this, my fastest Laptop due to known HD problem. If I
> > copy my current PST (1) (If I can ever find it) to a newly install OL 2007
> > on
> > my spare computer while I format and re-install Office 2007 and then copy
> > back should I be rid of all the old corrupted files and have a clean start
> > form my current Personl Folders (1) that current sits on my computer?
> > Sorry to be a bit thick but not too good with PC files and things.
> > Again, Thanks Karl!
> > Andy.
> > "Karl Timmermans" wrote:
> >
> >> Just to clarify something - was your original Otlk installation for
> >> Outlook
> >> 2007 or Outlook 2007 with BCM? If it's the latter, am going to bow out of
> >> this. Original response was purely related to O'2007 (don't have a test
> >> system currently configured with BCM)
> >
> >> That said, your original default PST file should have had more then just
> >> the
> >> 4 folders you identified. There is a list of standard folders that are
> >> part
> >> of the PST file designated as the default (Inbox, Contacts, Tasks, Notes,
> >> Outbox, Sent Items etc etc). Completely confused as to what you have in
> >> terms of original versus what was created so not going to try and address
> >> anything related to the original problem or what MS did or didn't do
> >> (perhaps someone else may understand your description better than I and
> >> comment accordingly).
> >
> >> To further clarify - a standard Outlook config is based on using a single
> >> PST file which contains all the required info (in different folders).
> >> There
> >> are no additional "files".
> >
> >> To create a new profile:
> >
> >> -a) close Outlook --> Start Menu --> Control Panel --> Mail --> Show
> >> Profiles --> Add
> >> (follow screens to and fill in required info regarding your email
> >> account etc)
> >> -b) it will assign a new pst file to be used as the default - should be
> >> "Outlook#.pst" (where # is an incrementing number depending on the number
> >> of
> >> Outlook.Pst files have been previously created. You can check exactly
> >> what
> >> has been assigned by checing the "properties" for the newly created
> >> profile - check "Data Files"
> >> -c) assign the newly created profile as the default to be used when you
> >> open
> >> Outlook
> >> -d) exit out of this process
> >> -e) open Outlook - you should now have a completely empty and properly
> >> configured default PST file
> >
> >> You will have to determine whether or not anything is recoverable from
> >> the
> >> previous PST files by opening one or both of those and attempt to copy
> >> whatever info to the new default PST file that will be created when you
> >> open
> >> Outlook for the first time using the new profile. If you do nothing else
> >> other than opening Outlook using the new profile - you will have a clean
> >> Outlook config with no previous info and should be able to use Outlook
> >> normally.
> >
> >> Karl
> >
> >> _____________
> >>

> >> ContactGenie - Importer 1.3 / DataPorter 2.0 / Exporter
> >> "Power contact importers/exporters for MS Outlook '2000/2007"
> >>

> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >> "Andy" <Andy> wrote in message
> >> news:B8BF4B96-DF13-47D4-A195-9C7FA522CC40@microsoft.com...
> >> > Hello Karl,
> >> >> > Your point 1. If you mean what did MS copy from old to new. Nothing (as
> >> > far
> >> > as I know) as I had no history of sent or received e-mails, albiet they
> >> > are
> >> > there in folders lower down all the floders. If I click and expand I
> >> > can
> >> > see
> >> > all the old folders. In fact there are 8 e-mail in my old inbox. I can
> >> > open
> >> > them but if I try to delete them I get the message "Outlook PST in use
> >> > and
> >> > cannot be accessed. Close any applications that is using the file, and
> >> > then
> >> > try again. You might need to restart your computer."
> >> >> > This was the first error message that I got when the problem statted.
> >> >> > Your point 2. Yes as far as I can see.
> >> >> > Your point 3. Yes I can see them both.
> >> >> > Your point 4. The error message I mentioned above.
> >> >> > Your solution 1. How do I open a new profile?
> >> > Your soloution 2 Ok There are 4 entries. One folder called Accounts.
> >> > Archive, 2071,561 KB, Outlook 1,540.345 KB, and Persoanl Floders(1)
> >> > 414,673
> >> > KB in this location.
> >> > Your solution 3. Do you mean the above Folder and 3 files?
> >> > Your solution 4. The corruppt PST was not usa abe according to MS.
> >> > Although
> >> > I can open old e-mail and fwd them ( I cant search in the old PST) to
> >> > my
> >> > new
> >> > in box.
> >> >> > Your solution 5. On this computer not the one I'm going to copy to. I
> >> > keep
> >> > getting the above error message and this the same when I try to close
> >> > the
> >> > reminders from my calanda that are still in the old corrupt PST file.
> >> >> > I'm happy to lose all the old e-mails in and out (or store then on a
> >> > memory
> >> > stick) but I'd like to stop the rrror massages from the old PST if
> >> > possible
> >> > and delete it from the foldrs lists. But I bet I get the same old error
> >> > message as above.
> >> >> > So do I set all this up on my spare computer? If I copy the files as
> >> > details
> >> > above to te new computer will I get all my in and out e-mails from the
> >> > new
> >> > PST "Persoanl Floders(1) 414,673 KB" and all my contacts?
> >> >> > Andy
> >> >> > "Karl Timmermans" wrote:
> >> >> >> Something about the description doesn't add up but without knowing all
> >> >> the
> >> >> salient details, hard to provide any definitive comments. However,
> >> >> based
> >> >> on
> >> >> the description provided:
> >> >
> >> >> #1 - What exactly was copied from the <old> to <new> PST?
> >> >> #2 - Was the new PST file set up as the new default (i.e. contains the
> >> >> default inbox) for the profile? (sounds like it wasn't)
> >> >> #3 - Is assumption correct that in your current profile - both old and
> >> >> new
> >> >> PST files are open and in use?
> >> >> #4 - For background info, what exactly was (or wasn't as the case may
> >> >> be)
> >> >> happening that resulted in the PST file being deemed corrupt?
> >> >
> >> >> On the premise that "all folders" were copied from the old PST to the
> >> >> new
> >> >> PST AND the new PST was not setup as the default - you should be able
> >> >> to
> >> >> get
> >> >> back on track by doing the following:
> >> >
> >> >> #1 - Create a new profile (just to start off clean) with a new default
> >> >> PST
> >> >> file
> >> >> #2 - Open Outlook and add the original <new> PST file (from menu -
> >> >> File > >> >> Open Outlook Data File
> >> >> #3 - Copy the folder info from original <new> PST file (from item#2)
> >> >> to
> >> >> the
> >> >> corresponding <default folders> in the default PST file (from item#1)
> >> >> #4 - If not all the info was copied to the <original new> PST file -
> >> >> you'll
> >> >> need to rinse and repeat items 2&3 using the original corrupted PST
> >> >> file
> >> >> to
> >> >> salvage any remaining info <if possible
> >> >> #5 - When done - close all PST files except for the one created in
> >> >> item#1
> >> >
> >> >> You <should> be back on track <IF> the undelying assumptions upon
> >> >> which
> >> >> the
> >> >> above steps are based are in fact correct otherwise would really be
> >> >> good
> >> >> to
> >> >> know what the actual reason(s) was/were for actions taken other than
> >> >> "..............for some reason or other"
> >> >
> >> >> Karl
> >> >> _____________
> >> >>

> >> >> ContactGenie - Importer 1.3 / DataPorter 2.0 / Exporter
> >> >> "Power contact importers/exporters for MS Outlook '2000/2007"
> >> >>

> >> >
> >> >
> >> >
> >> >
> >> >> "Andy" <Andy> wrote in message
> >> >> news:F2C5941E-48F4-4006-B5F7-C69411D546C7@microsoft.com...
> >> >> > Sorry about long the long explanation...but you need to know all the
> >> >> > details
> >> >> > I guess understand the problem..
> >> >> >> >> > I have had ongoing problems since (4 weeks ago) I had a corrupt PST
> >> >> > file
> >> >> > occurred on my OL 2007. Microsoft on-line support fixed this on line
> >> >> > by
> >> >> > creating a new PST. They said they couldn't delete the old one for
> >> >> > some
> >> >> > reason or other.
> >> >> > However, since then I keep getting several reminders from the old
> >> >> > PST's
> >> >> > calendar (that I can't access or delete), and MS say I can't.
> >> >> > Also archiving isn't working, and I fear auto Backups also not be
> >> >> > working
> >> >> > either, as there seems to be conflict between my old"partly"
> >> >> > disabled
> >> >> > (it
> >> >> > would seem) PST and the new one MS created. I was going to copy my
> >> >> > all
> >> >> > my
> >> >> > contacts from Outlook 2007 and Outlook Business Manager to another
> >> >> > PC
> >> >> > that
> >> >> > I
> >> >> > can get running on Office 2007 and start a new with my newest PST
> >> >> > created
> >> >> > by
> >> >> > MS support with all my contacts as above. I was then going to
> >> >> > reformate
> >> >> > the
> >> >> > origin PC as there are known problems on the HD (The machine with
> >> >> > the
> >> >> > corrupted PST is newer and faster and better than my spare that I
> >> >> > was
> >> >> > going
> >> >> > to copy to)and then reinstall Office 2007 and copy the newer PST and
> >> >> > all
> >> >> > my
> >> >> > contacts back to a clean drive. Am I dreaming? I guess there are pit
> >> >> > falls
> >> >> > and I'm not 100% of the best way to do this...Any detailed help
> >> >> > would
> >> >> > be
> >> >> > greatly appreciated!
> >> >> >> >> > Andy
> >> >> > > >> >> > Ian D Anderson
> >> >
> >> >
> >> >
> >
> >
> >>


>
 

Karl Timmermans

Senior Member
Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
Re: Corrupt PST still seems to cause problems.OL2007 Vista Buisine

As DL noted - you'll need to include <hidden files> - from Win Explorer

menu - Tools --> Folder Options --> View --> 8th item in the list relates to

Hidden files

Suggestion for whenever a PST file is copied from computer to another that

is to be used as the Default PST file - do one of the following 2 things:

a) on the target computer - change the default PST file for the

current profile to use the copied PST as the default OR

b) create a new profile and make sure that the copied PST file

(whereever it is located on the target computer) is designated as the

default and remove any other automatically created Outlook.PST file from the

data file list. Ootherwise you'll end up with 2 PST files that look the same

and do nothing other than confuse you. (sidenote: once a PST has been

designated as the default and the default folders are created - you cannot

delete these folders from the PST file even though the PST file is no longer

the default for the profile).

Just to elaborate/clarify DL's comment on where the Outlook PST file should

be copied. It can be copied anywhere including the default Outlook location

BUT what <shouldn't> be done is to overwrite an existing PST file. Or more

to the point - if the existing default PST file is "Outlook.pst" - you

should not copy another file called "Outlook.pst" over top of it and

continue using the same profile (in this case, create a new Profile and then

make the newly copied PST file the default). Or as DL suggests - copy the

PST file to anywhere but you still need to make it the default.

Karl

_____________

ContactGenie - Importer 1.3 / DataPorter 2.0 / Exporter

"Power contact importers/exporters for MS Outlook '2000/2007"

"Andy" <Andy> wrote in message

news:1382B3CB-D161-4A5C-9859-2024530F2047@microsoft.com...
> Karl,

> Thanks again!!

> Orginall installed without BCM. I only installed BCM since MS created a
> new
> PST.

> I do have all the usual list of folders for the new PST and also all the
> old
> ones below that were corrupted.

> I have tried to locate the files that I can see if I go >File > Open> Data
> file as I want to copy them once I have closed OL. I cant locate them. I
> can
> only find all the old corrupt files... I don't know where MS stored them
> but
> it seems to be: AppsData/local/ms/ol but I cant find this file. maybe
> they
> hide it somewhere?

> As I want to format this, my fastest Laptop due to known HD problem. If I
> copy my current PST (1) (If I can ever find it) to a newly install OL 2007
> on
> my spare computer while I format and re-install Office 2007 and then copy
> back should I be rid of all the old corrupted files and have a clean start
> form my current Personl Folders (1) that current sits on my computer?

> Sorry to be a bit thick but not too good with PC files and things.

> Again, Thanks Karl!

> Andy.

> "Karl Timmermans" wrote:
>
> > Just to clarify something - was your original Otlk installation for
> > Outlook
> > 2007 or Outlook 2007 with BCM? If it's the latter, am going to bow out of
> > this. Original response was purely related to O'2007 (don't have a test
> > system currently configured with BCM)
>

>> That said, your original default PST file should have had more then just
> > the
> > 4 folders you identified. There is a list of standard folders that are
> > part
> > of the PST file designated as the default (Inbox, Contacts, Tasks, Notes,
> > Outbox, Sent Items etc etc). Completely confused as to what you have in
> > terms of original versus what was created so not going to try and address
> > anything related to the original problem or what MS did or didn't do
> > (perhaps someone else may understand your description better than I and
> > comment accordingly).
>

>> To further clarify - a standard Outlook config is based on using a single
> > PST file which contains all the required info (in different folders).
> > There
> > are no additional "files".
>

>> To create a new profile:
>

>> -a) close Outlook --> Start Menu --> Control Panel --> Mail --> Show
> > Profiles --> Add
> > (follow screens to and fill in required info regarding your email
> > account etc)
> > -b) it will assign a new pst file to be used as the default - should be
> > "Outlook#.pst" (where # is an incrementing number depending on the number
> > of
> > Outlook.Pst files have been previously created. You can check exactly
> > what
> > has been assigned by checing the "properties" for the newly created
> > profile - check "Data Files"
> > -c) assign the newly created profile as the default to be used when you
> > open
> > Outlook
> > -d) exit out of this process
> > -e) open Outlook - you should now have a completely empty and properly
> > configured default PST file
>

>> You will have to determine whether or not anything is recoverable from
> > the
> > previous PST files by opening one or both of those and attempt to copy
> > whatever info to the new default PST file that will be created when you
> > open
> > Outlook for the first time using the new profile. If you do nothing else
> > other than opening Outlook using the new profile - you will have a clean
> > Outlook config with no previous info and should be able to use Outlook
> > normally.
>

>> Karl
>

>> _____________
> >

> > ContactGenie - Importer 1.3 / DataPorter 2.0 / Exporter
> > "Power contact importers/exporters for MS Outlook '2000/2007"
> >

>

>
>
>
>
>> "Andy" <Andy> wrote in message
> > news:B8BF4B96-DF13-47D4-A195-9C7FA522CC40@microsoft.com...
> > > Hello Karl,
> >> > Your point 1. If you mean what did MS copy from old to new. Nothing (as
> > > far
> > > as I know) as I had no history of sent or received e-mails, albiet they
> > > are
> > > there in folders lower down all the floders. If I click and expand I
> > > can
> > > see
> > > all the old folders. In fact there are 8 e-mail in my old inbox. I can
> > > open
> > > them but if I try to delete them I get the message "Outlook PST in use
> > > and
> > > cannot be accessed. Close any applications that is using the file, and
> > > then
> > > try again. You might need to restart your computer."
> >> > This was the first error message that I got when the problem statted.
> >> > Your point 2. Yes as far as I can see.
> >> > Your point 3. Yes I can see them both.
> >> > Your point 4. The error message I mentioned above.
> >> > Your solution 1. How do I open a new profile?
> > > Your soloution 2 Ok There are 4 entries. One folder called Accounts.
> > > Archive, 2071,561 KB, Outlook 1,540.345 KB, and Persoanl Floders(1)
> > > 414,673
> > > KB in this location.
> > > Your solution 3. Do you mean the above Folder and 3 files?
> > > Your solution 4. The corruppt PST was not usa abe according to MS.
> > > Although
> > > I can open old e-mail and fwd them ( I cant search in the old PST) to
> > > my
> > > new
> > > in box.
> >> > Your solution 5. On this computer not the one I'm going to copy to. I
> > > keep
> > > getting the above error message and this the same when I try to close
> > > the
> > > reminders from my calanda that are still in the old corrupt PST file.
> >> > I'm happy to lose all the old e-mails in and out (or store then on a
> > > memory
> > > stick) but I'd like to stop the rrror massages from the old PST if
> > > possible
> > > and delete it from the foldrs lists. But I bet I get the same old error
> > > message as above.
> >> > So do I set all this up on my spare computer? If I copy the files as
> > > details
> > > above to te new computer will I get all my in and out e-mails from the
> > > new
> > > PST "Persoanl Floders(1) 414,673 KB" and all my contacts?
> >> > Andy
> >> > "Karl Timmermans" wrote:
> >> >> Something about the description doesn't add up but without knowing all
> > >> the
> > >> salient details, hard to provide any definitive comments. However,
> > >> based
> > >> on
> > >> the description provided:
> > >
>> >> #1 - What exactly was copied from the <old> to <new> PST?
> > >> #2 - Was the new PST file set up as the new default (i.e. contains the
> > >> default inbox) for the profile? (sounds like it wasn't)
> > >> #3 - Is assumption correct that in your current profile - both old and
> > >> new
> > >> PST files are open and in use?
> > >> #4 - For background info, what exactly was (or wasn't as the case may
> > >> be)
> > >> happening that resulted in the PST file being deemed corrupt?
> > >
>> >> On the premise that "all folders" were copied from the old PST to the
> > >> new
> > >> PST AND the new PST was not setup as the default - you should be able
> > >> to
> > >> get
> > >> back on track by doing the following:
> > >
>> >> #1 - Create a new profile (just to start off clean) with a new default
> > >> PST
> > >> file
> > >> #2 - Open Outlook and add the original <new> PST file (from menu -
> > >> File >> >> Open Outlook Data File
> > >> #3 - Copy the folder info from original <new> PST file (from item#2)
> > >> to
> > >> the
> > >> corresponding <default folders> in the default PST file (from item#1)
> > >> #4 - If not all the info was copied to the <original new> PST file -
> > >> you'll
> > >> need to rinse and repeat items 2&3 using the original corrupted PST
> > >> file
> > >> to
> > >> salvage any remaining info <if possible
>> >> #5 - When done - close all PST files except for the one created in
> > >> item#1
> > >
>> >> You <should> be back on track <IF> the undelying assumptions upon
> > >> which
> > >> the
> > >> above steps are based are in fact correct otherwise would really be
> > >> good
> > >> to
> > >> know what the actual reason(s) was/were for actions taken other than
> > >> "..............for some reason or other"
> > >
>> >> Karl
> > >> _____________
> > >>

> > >> ContactGenie - Importer 1.3 / DataPorter 2.0 / Exporter
> > >> "Power contact importers/exporters for MS Outlook '2000/2007"
> > >>

> > >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >> "Andy" <Andy> wrote in message
> > >> news:F2C5941E-48F4-4006-B5F7-C69411D546C7@microsoft.com...
> > >> > Sorry about long the long explanation...but you need to know all the
> > >> > details
> > >> > I guess understand the problem..
> > >>> >> > I have had ongoing problems since (4 weeks ago) I had a corrupt PST
> > >> > file
> > >> > occurred on my OL 2007. Microsoft on-line support fixed this on line
> > >> > by
> > >> > creating a new PST. They said they couldn't delete the old one for
> > >> > some
> > >> > reason or other.
> > >> > However, since then I keep getting several reminders from the old
> > >> > PST's
> > >> > calendar (that I can't access or delete), and MS say I can't.
> > >> > Also archiving isn't working, and I fear auto Backups also not be
> > >> > working
> > >> > either, as there seems to be conflict between my old"partly"
> > >> > disabled
> > >> > (it
> > >> > would seem) PST and the new one MS created. I was going to copy my
> > >> > all
> > >> > my
> > >> > contacts from Outlook 2007 and Outlook Business Manager to another
> > >> > PC
> > >> > that
> > >> > I
> > >> > can get running on Office 2007 and start a new with my newest PST
> > >> > created
> > >> > by
> > >> > MS support with all my contacts as above. I was then going to
> > >> > reformate
> > >> > the
> > >> > origin PC as there are known problems on the HD (The machine with
> > >> > the
> > >> > corrupted PST is newer and faster and better than my spare that I
> > >> > was
> > >> > going
> > >> > to copy to)and then reinstall Office 2007 and copy the newer PST and
> > >> > all
> > >> > my
> > >> > contacts back to a clean drive. Am I dreaming? I guess there are pit
> > >> > falls
> > >> > and I'm not 100% of the best way to do this...Any detailed help
> > >> > would
> > >> > be
> > >> > greatly appreciated!
> > >>> >> > Andy
> > >> > > > >> > Ian D Anderson
> > >
>> >
>> >>

>

>
>>
 

Brian Tillman

Senior Member
Re: Corrupt PST still seems to cause problems.OL2007 Vista Buisine

"Andy" <Andy> wrote in message

news:1E97ED0D-1EDA-490F-B388-EBB391041CE9@microsoft.com...


> Thanks DL, but how do I search to include hidden files. I cant see an option
> do this. I understand the *.pst but to include hidden if not known. Or does
> *.Pst includ all hidden?


Open My Computer, click Tools>Folder Options and select the View tab. Select

the radio button marked "Show hidden files and folders". Click OK. Now

search should find them.

--
 
A

Andy

Re: Corrupt PST still seems to cause problems.OL2007 Vista Buisine

Thank you!

Andy

"Brian Tillman " wrote:


> "Andy" <Andy> wrote in message
> news:1E97ED0D-1EDA-490F-B388-EBB391041CE9@microsoft.com...
>
> > Thanks DL, but how do I search to include hidden files. I cant see an option
> > do this. I understand the *.pst but to include hidden if not known. Or does
> > *.Pst includ all hidden?


> Open My Computer, click Tools>Folder Options and select the View tab. Select
> the radio button marked "Show hidden files and folders". Click OK. Now
> search should find them.
> >

>
 
A

Andy

Re: Corrupt PST still seems to cause problems.OL2007 Vista Buisine

Hi Karl,

Sorry if this sounds a silly question but how do I designate a PST file to

be "the" Default PST file Or how do I: Change the default PST file for the

current profile to use the copied PST as the default. And or create a new

profile and make sure that the copied PST file is designated as the

default?

Andy

My current PST and the one I want to use is called: Personal Floders (1)

Will this have my all my contacts from "My Contacts" (I have two contacts

folders) and a BCM contact folder as well.

Andy

"Karl Timmermans" wrote:


> As DL noted - you'll need to include <hidden files> - from Win Explorer
> menu - Tools --> Folder Options --> View --> 8th item in the list relates to
> Hidden files

> Suggestion for whenever a PST file is copied from computer to another that
> is to be used as the Default PST file - do one of the following 2 things:
> a) on the target computer - change the default PST file for the
> current profile to use the copied PST as the default OR
> b) create a new profile and make sure that the copied PST file
> (whereever it is located on the target computer) is designated as the
> default and remove any other automatically created Outlook.PST file from the
> data file list. Ootherwise you'll end up with 2 PST files that look the same
> and do nothing other than confuse you. (sidenote: once a PST has been
> designated as the default and the default folders are created - you cannot
> delete these folders from the PST file even though the PST file is no longer
> the default for the profile).

> Just to elaborate/clarify DL's comment on where the Outlook PST file should
> be copied. It can be copied anywhere including the default Outlook location
> BUT what <shouldn't> be done is to overwrite an existing PST file. Or more
> to the point - if the existing default PST file is "Outlook.pst" - you
> should not copy another file called "Outlook.pst" over top of it and
> continue using the same profile (in this case, create a new Profile and then
> make the newly copied PST file the default). Or as DL suggests - copy the
> PST file to anywhere but you still need to make it the default.

> Karl
> _____________
>

> ContactGenie - Importer 1.3 / DataPorter 2.0 / Exporter
> "Power contact importers/exporters for MS Outlook '2000/2007"
>

> "Andy" <Andy> wrote in message
> news:1382B3CB-D161-4A5C-9859-2024530F2047@microsoft.com...
> > Karl,
> > Thanks again!!
> > Orginall installed without BCM. I only installed BCM since MS created a
> > new
> > PST.
> > I do have all the usual list of folders for the new PST and also all the
> > old
> > ones below that were corrupted.
> > I have tried to locate the files that I can see if I go >File > Open> Data
> > file as I want to copy them once I have closed OL. I cant locate them. I
> > can
> > only find all the old corrupt files... I don't know where MS stored them
> > but
> > it seems to be: AppsData/local/ms/ol but I cant find this file. maybe
> > they
> > hide it somewhere?
> > As I want to format this, my fastest Laptop due to known HD problem. If I
> > copy my current PST (1) (If I can ever find it) to a newly install OL 2007
> > on
> > my spare computer while I format and re-install Office 2007 and then copy
> > back should I be rid of all the old corrupted files and have a clean start
> > form my current Personl Folders (1) that current sits on my computer?
> > Sorry to be a bit thick but not too good with PC files and things.
> > Again, Thanks Karl!
> > Andy.
> > "Karl Timmermans" wrote:
> >
> >> Just to clarify something - was your original Otlk installation for
> >> Outlook
> >> 2007 or Outlook 2007 with BCM? If it's the latter, am going to bow out of
> >> this. Original response was purely related to O'2007 (don't have a test
> >> system currently configured with BCM)
> >
> >> That said, your original default PST file should have had more then just
> >> the
> >> 4 folders you identified. There is a list of standard folders that are
> >> part
> >> of the PST file designated as the default (Inbox, Contacts, Tasks, Notes,
> >> Outbox, Sent Items etc etc). Completely confused as to what you have in
> >> terms of original versus what was created so not going to try and address
> >> anything related to the original problem or what MS did or didn't do
> >> (perhaps someone else may understand your description better than I and
> >> comment accordingly).
> >
> >> To further clarify - a standard Outlook config is based on using a single
> >> PST file which contains all the required info (in different folders).
> >> There
> >> are no additional "files".
> >
> >> To create a new profile:
> >
> >> -a) close Outlook --> Start Menu --> Control Panel --> Mail --> Show
> >> Profiles --> Add
> >> (follow screens to and fill in required info regarding your email
> >> account etc)
> >> -b) it will assign a new pst file to be used as the default - should be
> >> "Outlook#.pst" (where # is an incrementing number depending on the number
> >> of
> >> Outlook.Pst files have been previously created. You can check exactly
> >> what
> >> has been assigned by checing the "properties" for the newly created
> >> profile - check "Data Files"
> >> -c) assign the newly created profile as the default to be used when you
> >> open
> >> Outlook
> >> -d) exit out of this process
> >> -e) open Outlook - you should now have a completely empty and properly
> >> configured default PST file
> >
> >> You will have to determine whether or not anything is recoverable from
> >> the
> >> previous PST files by opening one or both of those and attempt to copy
> >> whatever info to the new default PST file that will be created when you
> >> open
> >> Outlook for the first time using the new profile. If you do nothing else
> >> other than opening Outlook using the new profile - you will have a clean
> >> Outlook config with no previous info and should be able to use Outlook
> >> normally.
> >
> >> Karl
> >
> >> _____________
> >>

> >> ContactGenie - Importer 1.3 / DataPorter 2.0 / Exporter
> >> "Power contact importers/exporters for MS Outlook '2000/2007"
> >>

> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >> "Andy" <Andy> wrote in message
> >> news:B8BF4B96-DF13-47D4-A195-9C7FA522CC40@microsoft.com...
> >> > Hello Karl,
> >> >> > Your point 1. If you mean what did MS copy from old to new. Nothing (as
> >> > far
> >> > as I know) as I had no history of sent or received e-mails, albiet they
> >> > are
> >> > there in folders lower down all the floders. If I click and expand I
> >> > can
> >> > see
> >> > all the old folders. In fact there are 8 e-mail in my old inbox. I can
> >> > open
> >> > them but if I try to delete them I get the message "Outlook PST in use
> >> > and
> >> > cannot be accessed. Close any applications that is using the file, and
> >> > then
> >> > try again. You might need to restart your computer."
> >> >> > This was the first error message that I got when the problem statted.
> >> >> > Your point 2. Yes as far as I can see.
> >> >> > Your point 3. Yes I can see them both.
> >> >> > Your point 4. The error message I mentioned above.
> >> >> > Your solution 1. How do I open a new profile?
> >> > Your soloution 2 Ok There are 4 entries. One folder called Accounts.
> >> > Archive, 2071,561 KB, Outlook 1,540.345 KB, and Persoanl Floders(1)
> >> > 414,673
> >> > KB in this location.
> >> > Your solution 3. Do you mean the above Folder and 3 files?
> >> > Your solution 4. The corruppt PST was not usa abe according to MS.
> >> > Although
> >> > I can open old e-mail and fwd them ( I cant search in the old PST) to
> >> > my
> >> > new
> >> > in box.
> >> >> > Your solution 5. On this computer not the one I'm going to copy to. I
> >> > keep
> >> > getting the above error message and this the same when I try to close
> >> > the
> >> > reminders from my calanda that are still in the old corrupt PST file.
> >> >> > I'm happy to lose all the old e-mails in and out (or store then on a
> >> > memory
> >> > stick) but I'd like to stop the rrror massages from the old PST if
> >> > possible
> >> > and delete it from the foldrs lists. But I bet I get the same old error
> >> > message as above.
> >> >> > So do I set all this up on my spare computer? If I copy the files as
> >> > details
> >> > above to te new computer will I get all my in and out e-mails from the
> >> > new
> >> > PST "Persoanl Floders(1) 414,673 KB" and all my contacts?
> >> >> > Andy
> >> >> > "Karl Timmermans" wrote:
> >> >> >> Something about the description doesn't add up but without knowing all
> >> >> the
> >> >> salient details, hard to provide any definitive comments. However,
> >> >> based
> >> >> on
> >> >> the description provided:
> >> >
> >> >> #1 - What exactly was copied from the <old> to <new> PST?
> >> >> #2 - Was the new PST file set up as the new default (i.e. contains the
> >> >> default inbox) for the profile? (sounds like it wasn't)
> >> >> #3 - Is assumption correct that in your current profile - both old and
> >> >> new
> >> >> PST files are open and in use?
> >> >> #4 - For background info, what exactly was (or wasn't as the case may
> >> >> be)
> >> >> happening that resulted in the PST file being deemed corrupt?
> >> >
> >> >> On the premise that "all folders" were copied from the old PST to the
> >> >> new
> >> >> PST AND the new PST was not setup as the default - you should be able
> >> >> to
> >> >> get
> >> >> back on track by doing the following:
> >> >
> >> >> #1 - Create a new profile (just to start off clean) with a new default
> >> >> PST
> >> >> file
> >> >> #2 - Open Outlook and add the original <new> PST file (from menu -
> >> >> File > >> >> Open Outlook Data File
> >> >> #3 - Copy the folder info from original <new> PST file (from item#2)
> >> >> to
> >> >> the
> >> >> corresponding <default folders> in the default PST file (from item#1)
> >> >> #4 - If not all the info was copied to the <original new> PST file -
> >> >> you'll
> >> >> need to rinse and repeat items 2&3 using the original corrupted PST
> >> >> file
> >> >> to
> >> >> salvage any remaining info <if possible
> >> >> #5 - When done - close all PST files except for the one created in
> >> >> item#1
> >> >
> >> >> You <should> be back on track <IF> the undelying assumptions upon
> >> >> which
> >> >> the
> >> >> above steps are based are in fact correct otherwise would really be
> >> >> good
> >> >> to
> >> >> know what the actual reason(s) was/were for actions taken other than
> >> >> "..............for some reason or other"
> >> >
> >> >> Karl
> >> >> _____________
> >> >>

> >> >> ContactGenie - Importer 1.3 / DataPorter 2.0 / Exporter
> >> >> "Power contact importers/exporters for MS Outlook '2000/2007"
> >> >>

> >> >
> >> >
> >> >
> >> >
> >> >> "Andy" <Andy> wrote in message
> >> >> news:F2C5941E-48F4-4006-B5F7-C69411D546C7@microsoft.com...
> >> >> > Sorry about long the long explanation...but you need to know all the
> >> >> > details
> >> >> > I guess understand the problem..
> >> >> >> >> > I have had ongoing problems since (4 weeks ago) I had a corrupt PST
> >> >> > file
> >> >> > occurred on my OL 2007. Microsoft on-line support fixed this on line
> >> >> > by
> >> >> > creating a new PST. They said they couldn't delete the old one for
> >> >> > some
> >> >> > reason or other.
> >> >> > However, since then I keep getting several reminders from the old
> >> >> > PST's
> >> >> > calendar (that I can't access or delete), and MS say I can't.
> >> >> > Also archiving isn't working, and I fear auto Backups also not be
> >> >> > working
> >> >> > either, as there seems to be conflict between my old"partly"
> >> >> > disabled
> >> >> > (it
> >> >> > would seem) PST and the new one MS created. I was going to copy my
> >> >> > all
> >> >> > my
> >> >> > contacts from Outlook 2007 and Outlook Business Manager to another
> >> >> > PC
> >> >> > that
> >> >> > I
> >> >> > can get running on Office 2007 and start a new with my newest PST
> >> >> > created
> >> >> > by
> >> >> > MS support with all my contacts as above. I was then going to
> >> >> > reformate
> >> >> > the
> >> >> > origin PC as there are known problems on the HD (The machine with
> >> >> > the
> >> >> > corrupted PST is newer and faster and better than my spare that I
> >> >> > was
 

Karl Timmermans

Senior Member
Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
Re: Corrupt PST still seems to cause problems.OL2007 Vista Buisine

Only you can know which of the PST files contains your data. Also, you'll

need to keep track of what PST file is what. The instructions were to create

a new PST file (via a new profile) which in an of itself would not result in

multiple contact folders. Also the name for the <default> contact folder is

"Contacts" - not "My Contacts". Default folder names cannot be changed or

deleted - therefore the PST file containing the additional folders is either

one of the original ones or one with additional folders added or a newly

created one where the folders have been copied.

Whatever the current status is - do not suggest making any of the original

PST files involved with corrupted data the "default".

Back to the question of how to make any PST file the default for a profile:

#1 - Close Outlook

#2 - Start menu --> Control Panel --> USer Accounts --> Mail --> Data

Files --> from there

a) if the PST file you want to make the default is not listed -

add it

b) select (highlight) the PST file you want to make as default -

click on "Set as Default" button

#3 - Open Outlook

*** you can remove any extraneous PST data files in either step 2 or step 3

after Outlook is opened (simplest way in Step 3 is to right click on the

Root Folder of the PST file you want to close and choose "<Close "FldrName"
> where "FldrName will be the actual name you jst right clicked on.


Note - the <Root Folder> name for any newly created PST file is <Personal

Folders>. If you have multiple PST files open that have been used as a

default at one point in time - you'll see what appear to be "duplicates"

(unless the Root Folder name is renamed to something else). To know which

actual PST file is being referred to - right click on the Root Folder

name --> Properties --> General Tab --> Advanced button - folder/pathname

will be displayed on new window that opens up.

As for the BCM folder - it has been too long since doing detailed BCM

testing to remember exactly what gets left over and/or what remains usable

in terms of folder item info. Primary BCM info is maintained in a backend

SQL database which would not (at least it shouldn't) be in play during any

of this.

Karl

_____________

ContactGenie - Importer 1.3 / DataPorter 2.0 / Exporter

"Power contact importers/exporters for MS Outlook '2000/2007"

"Andy" <Andy> wrote in message

news:16A914F9-EFA1-45F0-A167-41327F4320CE@microsoft.com...
> Hi Karl,

> Sorry if this sounds a silly question but how do I designate a PST file to
> be "the" Default PST file Or how do I: Change the default PST file for
> the
> current profile to use the copied PST as the default. And or create a new
> profile and make sure that the copied PST file is designated as the
> default?

> Andy

> My current PST and the one I want to use is called: Personal Floders (1)
> Will this have my all my contacts from "My Contacts" (I have two contacts
> folders) and a BCM contact folder as well.

> Andy

> "Karl Timmermans" wrote:
>
> > As DL noted - you'll need to include <hidden files> - from Win Explorer
> > menu - Tools --> Folder Options --> View --> 8th item in the list relates
> > to
> > Hidden files
>

>> Suggestion for whenever a PST file is copied from computer to another
> > that
> > is to be used as the Default PST file - do one of the following 2 things:
> > a) on the target computer - change the default PST file for the
> > current profile to use the copied PST as the default OR
> > b) create a new profile and make sure that the copied PST file
> > (whereever it is located on the target computer) is designated as the
> > default and remove any other automatically created Outlook.PST file from
> > the
> > data file list. Ootherwise you'll end up with 2 PST files that look the
> > same
> > and do nothing other than confuse you. (sidenote: once a PST has been
> > designated as the default and the default folders are created - you
> > cannot
> > delete these folders from the PST file even though the PST file is no
> > longer
> > the default for the profile).
>

>> Just to elaborate/clarify DL's comment on where the Outlook PST file
> > should
> > be copied. It can be copied anywhere including the default Outlook
> > location
> > BUT what <shouldn't> be done is to overwrite an existing PST file. Or
> > more
> > to the point - if the existing default PST file is "Outlook.pst" - you
> > should not copy another file called "Outlook.pst" over top of it and
> > continue using the same profile (in this case, create a new Profile and
> > then
> > make the newly copied PST file the default). Or as DL suggests - copy the
> > PST file to anywhere but you still need to make it the default.
>

>> Karl
> > _____________
> >

> > ContactGenie - Importer 1.3 / DataPorter 2.0 / Exporter
> > "Power contact importers/exporters for MS Outlook '2000/2007"
> >

>

>
>
>> "Andy" <Andy> wrote in message
> > news:1382B3CB-D161-4A5C-9859-2024530F2047@microsoft.com...
> > > Karl,
> >> > Thanks again!!
> >> > Orginall installed without BCM. I only installed BCM since MS created a
> > > new
> > > PST.
> >> > I do have all the usual list of folders for the new PST and also all
> > > the
> > > old
> > > ones below that were corrupted.
> >> > I have tried to locate the files that I can see if I go >File > Open
>> > Data
> > > file as I want to copy them once I have closed OL. I cant locate them.
> > > I
> > > can
> > > only find all the old corrupt files... I don't know where MS stored
> > > them
> > > but
> > > it seems to be: AppsData/local/ms/ol but I cant find this file. maybe
> > > they
> > > hide it somewhere?
> >> > As I want to format this, my fastest Laptop due to known HD problem. If
> > > I
> > > copy my current PST (1) (If I can ever find it) to a newly install OL
> > > 2007
> > > on
> > > my spare computer while I format and re-install Office 2007 and then
> > > copy
> > > back should I be rid of all the old corrupted files and have a clean
> > > start
> > > form my current Personl Folders (1) that current sits on my computer?
> >> > Sorry to be a bit thick but not too good with PC files and things.
> >> > Again, Thanks Karl!
> >> > Andy.
> >> > "Karl Timmermans" wrote:
> >> >> Just to clarify something - was your original Otlk installation for
> > >> Outlook
> > >> 2007 or Outlook 2007 with BCM? If it's the latter, am going to bow out
> > >> of
> > >> this. Original response was purely related to O'2007 (don't have a
> > >> test
> > >> system currently configured with BCM)
> > >
>> >> That said, your original default PST file should have had more then
> > >> just
> > >> the
> > >> 4 folders you identified. There is a list of standard folders that are
> > >> part
> > >> of the PST file designated as the default (Inbox, Contacts, Tasks,
> > >> Notes,
> > >> Outbox, Sent Items etc etc). Completely confused as to what you have
> > >> in
> > >> terms of original versus what was created so not going to try and
> > >> address
> > >> anything related to the original problem or what MS did or didn't do
> > >> (perhaps someone else may understand your description better than I
> > >> and
> > >> comment accordingly).
> > >
>> >> To further clarify - a standard Outlook config is based on using a
> > >> single
> > >> PST file which contains all the required info (in different folders).
> > >> There
> > >> are no additional "files".
> > >
>> >> To create a new profile:
> > >
>> >> -a) close Outlook --> Start Menu --> Control Panel --> Mail --> Show
> > >> Profiles --> Add
> > >> (follow screens to and fill in required info regarding your
> > >> email
> > >> account etc)
> > >> -b) it will assign a new pst file to be used as the default - should
> > >> be
> > >> "Outlook#.pst" (where # is an incrementing number depending on the
> > >> number
> > >> of
> > >> Outlook.Pst files have been previously created. You can check exactly
> > >> what
> > >> has been assigned by checing the "properties" for the newly created
> > >> profile - check "Data Files"
> > >> -c) assign the newly created profile as the default to be used when
> > >> you
> > >> open
> > >> Outlook
> > >> -d) exit out of this process
> > >> -e) open Outlook - you should now have a completely empty and properly
> > >> configured default PST file
> > >
>> >> You will have to determine whether or not anything is recoverable from
> > >> the
> > >> previous PST files by opening one or both of those and attempt to copy
> > >> whatever info to the new default PST file that will be created when
> > >> you
> > >> open
> > >> Outlook for the first time using the new profile. If you do nothing
> > >> else
> > >> other than opening Outlook using the new profile - you will have a
> > >> clean
> > >> Outlook config with no previous info and should be able to use Outlook
> > >> normally.
> > >
>> >> Karl
> > >
>> >> _____________
> > >>

> > >> ContactGenie - Importer 1.3 / DataPorter 2.0 / Exporter
> > >> "Power contact importers/exporters for MS Outlook '2000/2007"
> > >>

> > >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >> "Andy" <Andy> wrote in message
> > >> news:B8BF4B96-DF13-47D4-A195-9C7FA522CC40@microsoft.com...
> > >> > Hello Karl,
> > >>> >> > Your point 1. If you mean what did MS copy from old to new. Nothing
> > >> > (as
> > >> > far
> > >> > as I know) as I had no history of sent or received e-mails, albiet
> > >> > they
> > >> > are
> > >> > there in folders lower down all the floders. If I click and expand I
> > >> > can
> > >> > see
> > >> > all the old folders. In fact there are 8 e-mail in my old inbox. I
> > >> > can
> > >> > open
> > >> > them but if I try to delete them I get the message "Outlook PST in
> > >> > use
> > >> > and
> > >> > cannot be accessed. Close any applications that is using the file,
> > >> > and
> > >> > then
> > >> > try again. You might need to restart your computer."
> > >>> >> > This was the first error message that I got when the problem
> > >> > statted.
> > >>> >> > Your point 2. Yes as far as I can see.
> > >>> >> > Your point 3. Yes I can see them both.
> > >>> >> > Your point 4. The error message I mentioned above.
> > >>> >> > Your solution 1. How do I open a new profile?
> > >> > Your soloution 2 Ok There are 4 entries. One folder called Accounts.
> > >> > Archive, 2071,561 KB, Outlook 1,540.345 KB, and Persoanl Floders(1)
> > >> > 414,673
> > >> > KB in this location.
> > >> > Your solution 3. Do you mean the above Folder and 3 files?
> > >> > Your solution 4. The corruppt PST was not usa abe according to MS.
> > >> > Although
> > >> > I can open old e-mail and fwd them ( I cant search in the old PST)
> > >> > to
> > >> > my
> > >> > new
> > >> > in box.
> > >>> >> > Your solution 5. On this computer not the one I'm going to copy to.
> > >> > I
> > >> > keep
> > >> > getting the above error message and this the same when I try to
> > >> > close
> > >> > the
> > >> > reminders from my calanda that are still in the old corrupt PST
> > >> > file.
> > >>> >> > I'm happy to lose all the old e-mails in and out (or store then on a
> > >> > memory
> > >> > stick) but I'd like to stop the rrror massages from the old PST if
> > >> > possible
> > >> > and delete it from the foldrs lists. But I bet I get the same old
> > >> > error
> > >> > message as above.
> > >>> >> > So do I set all this up on my spare computer? If I copy the files as
> > >> > details
> > >> > above to te new computer will I get all my in and out e-mails from
> > >> > the
> > >> > new
> > >> > PST "Persoanl Floders(1) 414,673 KB" and all my contacts?
> > >>> >> > Andy
> > >>> >> > "Karl Timmermans" wrote:
> > >>> >> >> Something about the description doesn't add up but without knowing
> > >> >> all
> > >> >> the
> > >> >> salient details, hard to provide any definitive comments. However,
> > >> >> based
> > >> >> on
> > >> >> the description provided:
> > >> >
>> >> >> #1 - What exactly was copied from the <old> to <new> PST?
> > >> >> #2 - Was the new PST file set up as the new default (i.e. contains
> > >> >> the
> > >> >> default inbox) for the profile? (sounds like it wasn't)
> > >> >> #3 - Is assumption correct that in your current profile - both old
> > >> >> and
> > >> >> new
> > >> >> PST files are open and in use?
> > >> >> #4 - For background info, what exactly was (or wasn't as the case
> > >> >> may
> > >> >> be)
> > >> >> happening that resulted in the PST file being deemed corrupt?
> > >> >
>> >> >> On the premise that "all folders" were copied from the old PST to
> > >> >> the
> > >> >> new
> > >> >> PST AND the new PST was not setup as the default - you should be
> > >> >> able
> > >> >> to
> > >> >> get
> > >> >> back on track by doing the following:
> > >> >
>> >> >> #1 - Create a new profile (just to start off clean) with a new
> > >> >> default
> > >> >> PST
> > >> >> file
> > >> >> #2 - Open Outlook and add the original <new> PST file (from menu -
> > >> >> File >> >> >> Open Outlook Data File
> > >> >> #3 - Copy the folder info from original <new> PST file (from
> > >> >> item#2)
> > >> >> to
> > >> >> the
> > >> >> corresponding <default folders> in the default PST file (from
> > >> >> item#1)
> > >> >> #4 - If not all the info was copied to the <original new> PST
> > >> >> file -
> > >> >> you'll
> > >> >> need to rinse and repeat items 2&3 using the original corrupted PST
> > >> >> file
> > >> >> to
> > >> >> salvage any remaining info <if possible
>> >> >> #5 - When done - close all PST files except for the one created in
> > >> >> item#1
> > >> >
>> >> >> You <should> be back on track <IF> the undelying assumptions upon
> > >> >> which
> > >> >> the
> > >> >> above steps are based are in fact correct otherwise would really be
> > >> >> good
> > >> >> to
> > >> >> know what the actual reason(s) was/were for actions taken other
> > >> >> than
> > >> >> "..............for some reason or other"
> > >> >
>> >> >> Karl
> > >> >> _____________
> > >> >>

> > >> >> ContactGenie - Importer 1.3 / DataPorter 2.0 / Exporter
> > >> >> "Power contact importers/exporters for MS Outlook '2000/2007"
> > >> >>

> > >> >
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >> >> "Andy" <Andy> wrote in message
> > >> >> news:F2C5941E-48F4-4006-B5F7-C69411D546C7@microsoft.com...
> > >> >> > Sorry about long the long explanation...but you need to know all
> > >> >> > the
> > >> >> > details
> > >> >> > I guess understand the problem..
> > >> >>> >> >> > I have had ongoing problems since (4 weeks ago) I had a corrupt
> > >> >> > PST
> > >> >> > file
> > >> >> > occurred on my OL 2007. Microsoft on-line support fixed this on
> > >> >> > line
> > >> >> > by
> > >> >> > creating a new PST. They said they couldn't delete the old one
> > >> >> > for
> > >> >> > some
> > >> >> > reason or other.
> > >> >> > However, since then I keep getting several reminders from the old
> > >> >> > PST's
> > >> >> > calendar (that I can't access or delete), and MS say I can't.
> > >> >> > Also archiving isn't working, and I fear auto Backups also not be
> > >> >> > working
> > >> >> > either, as there seems to be conflict between my old"partly"
> > >> >> > disabled
> > >> >> > (it
> > >> >> > would seem) PST and the new one MS created. I was going to copy
> > >> >> > my
> > >> >> > all
> > >> >> > my
> > >> >> > contacts from Outlook 2007 and Outlook Business Manager to
> > >> >> > another
> > >> >> > PC
> > >> >> > that
> > >> >> > I
> > >> >> > can get running on Office 2007 and start a new with my newest PST
> > >> >> > created
> > >> >> > by
> > >> >> > MS support with all my contacts as above. I was then going to
> > >> >> > reformate
> > >> >> > the
> > >> >> > origin PC as there are known problems on the HD (The machine with
> > >> >> > the
> > >> >> > corrupted PST is newer and faster and better than my spare that
> > >> >> > I
> > >> >> > was
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top