Copying Contacts from OL2007 Vista to OL2003 XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BudV

I want to experiment with different printed formats for my daughter's
Contacts.
She has OL2007 under Vista Home Premium SP1 and I have OL2003 Home SP3.

I exported her Contacts to a .pst file and a tab-separated .txt file and
emailed them to me.
Trying to digest the .txt file proved to be complicated and frustrating; but
when I tried to save the .pst attachment it was blocked by OL.

Can you help me get access to that file, or better yet, tell me what I
should have done to get her contacts into my machine?

 
D

DL

If you received the pst attachment, rt click the attachment, in the msg,
context menu, save as............save in your Documents folder
Within OL, open that data file

"BudV" <BudVitoff@NOmsn.SPAMcom> wrote in message
news:ejhLkosGKHA.1252@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>I want to experiment with different printed formats for my daughter's
>Contacts.
> She has OL2007 under Vista Home Premium SP1 and I have OL2003 Home SP3.
>
> I exported her Contacts to a .pst file and a tab-separated .txt file and
> emailed them to me.
> Trying to digest the .txt file proved to be complicated and frustrating;
> but when I tried to save the .pst attachment it was blocked by OL.
>
> Can you help me get access to that file, or better yet, tell me what I
> should have done to get her contacts into my machine?
>


 

Brian Tillman

Senior Member
"BudV" <BudVitoff@NOmsn.SPAMcom> wrote in message
news:ejhLkosGKHA.1252@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...

> I exported her Contacts to a .pst file and a tab-separated .txt file and
> emailed them to me.
> Trying to digest the .txt file proved to be complicated and frustrating; but
> when I tried to save the .pst attachment it was blocked by OL.


Zip it before mailing it. Unzip it on the receiving end, place it in, say, My
Documents\Outlook Files, then start Outlook and click File>Open>Outlook Data
File. Browse to it, select it, and click OK. You'll now have access to
anything you exported.

Since exporting always loses informtation, it's best to create a new PST and
copy the folder to it. Then, close the PST in Outlook, close Outlook, and use
that PST. Avoid using export and import when moving data from one Outlook
instance to another.

 
D

DL

I believe you will find if OL was blocking the attachment, it would'nt be
there in the first place.
I think you will find the OP was trying to open to save it

"Brian Tillman " <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:%23zk9Fi3GKHA.3888@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> "BudV" <BudVitoff@NOmsn.SPAMcom> wrote in message
> news:ejhLkosGKHA.1252@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>
>> I exported her Contacts to a .pst file and a tab-separated .txt file and
>> emailed them to me.
>> Trying to digest the .txt file proved to be complicated and frustrating;
>> but when I tried to save the .pst attachment it was blocked by OL.

>
> Zip it before mailing it. Unzip it on the receiving end, place it in,
> say, My Documents\Outlook Files, then start Outlook and click
> File>Open>Outlook Data File. Browse to it, select it, and click OK.
> You'll now have access to anything you exported.
>
> Since exporting always loses informtation, it's best to create a new PST
> and copy the folder to it. Then, close the PST in Outlook, close Outlook,
> and use that PST. Avoid using export and import when moving data from one
> Outlook instance to another.
> >


 
B

BudV

Diane: Outlook was very stubborn about not letting me even see the attached
..pst file. Apparently, that's why Brian suggested mailing a .zip file
instead.

Brian: Mailing wasn't necessary, since I live across the street, so I just
copied the .pst into a flash drive and carried it. I wasn't sure what you
meant by "Then, close the PST in Outlook, close Outlook, and use that PST."
Rather than risk screwing up a working profile, I created a new profile and
renamed the copied .pst file to the one expected by the new profile, and I
was home free. I think I'm finally getting the hang of this baby.

Thank for the help. Again, and again, and ...

"Brian Tillman " <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:%23zk9Fi3GKHA.3888@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> "BudV" <BudVitoff@NOmsn.SPAMcom> wrote in message
> news:ejhLkosGKHA.1252@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>
>> I exported her Contacts to a .pst file and a tab-separated .txt file and
>> emailed them to me.
>> Trying to digest the .txt file proved to be complicated and frustrating;
>> but when I tried to save the .pst attachment it was blocked by OL.

>
> Zip it before mailing it. Unzip it on the receiving end, place it in,
> say, My Documents\Outlook Files, then start Outlook and click
> File>Open>Outlook Data File. Browse to it, select it, and click OK.
> You'll now have access to anything you exported.
>
> Since exporting always loses informtation, it's best to create a new PST
> and copy the folder to it. Then, close the PST in Outlook, close Outlook,
> and use that PST. Avoid using export and import when moving data from one
> Outlook instance to another.
> >


 

Brian Tillman

Senior Member
"BudV" <BudVitoff@msn.com> wrote in message
news:910BD468-4967-4DB1-931A-AB03FE39AAB5@microsoft.com...
> Diane: Outlook was very stubborn about not letting me even see the attached
> .pst file. Apparently, that's why Brian suggested mailing a .zip file
> instead.


Correct.

> Brian: Mailing wasn't necessary, since I live across the street, so I just
> copied the .pst into a flash drive and carried it.


Convenient.

> I wasn't sure what you meant by "Then, close the PST in Outlook, close
> Outlook, and use that PST." Rather than risk screwing up a working profile,
> I created a new profile and renamed the copied .pst file to the one expected
> by the new profile, and I was home free. I think I'm finally getting the
> hang of this baby.


I meant that you should never copy a PST unless Outlook is completely closed
and that, since that new PST's only purpose was to copy data, you probably
don't need to leave it available in the source Outlook, so I suggested closing
it so you can't see it any more.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top