Categorize emails is grayed out

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CJ33414

I'm using Outlook 2007, standalone (no Exchange Server). The categorize

option is grayed out for emails. Does this mean this is not possible when you

use OL stand-alone?
 

Brian Tillman

Senior Member
"CJ33414" <CJ33414> wrote in message

news:97F1CE64-FE1D-48FC-82DD-923DFE2BAC44@microsoft.com...


> I'm using Outlook 2007, standalone (no Exchange Server). The categorize
> option is grayed out for emails. Does this mean this is not possible when
> you
> use OL stand-alone?


It's perfectly possible to add categories when using stand-alone Outlook. How

did you configure your mail profile? Did you migrate from an earlier version

of Outlook? If so, did you ugrade your PST to color categories?

--
 
C

CJ33414

Hi Brian,

No, it was not an upgrade. The only thing that's different about my Outlook

is that I changed the location of my PST file - it's in

C:\Users\xxxxx\Documents\My Business\Outlook Data. I use Vista Ultimate.

This whole time I've been assuming I couldn't categorize because I'm not

using Exchange Server! I'm so glad I came in here to check.

What can I try?

CJ

"" wrote:


> "CJ33414" <CJ33414> wrote in message
> news:97F1CE64-FE1D-48FC-82DD-923DFE2BAC44@microsoft.com...
>
> > I'm using Outlook 2007, standalone (no Exchange Server). The categorize
> > option is grayed out for emails. Does this mean this is not possible when
> > you
> > use OL stand-alone?


> It's perfectly possible to add categories when using stand-alone Outlook. How
> did you configure your mail profile? Did you migrate from an earlier version
> of Outlook? If so, did you ugrade your PST to color categories?
> >

> .
>
 

Brian Tillman

Senior Member
"CJ33414" <CJ33414> wrote in message

news:39AA720D-3825-4DA5-A62C-D620D97E8671@microsoft.com...


> No, it was not an upgrade. The only thing that's different about my Outlook
> is that I changed the location of my PST file - it's in
> C:\Users\xxxxx\Documents\My Business\Outlook Data. I use Vista Ultimate.

> This whole time I've been assuming I couldn't categorize because I'm not
> using Exchange Server! I'm so glad I came in here to check.


How did you relocate the PST?

--
 
C

CJ33414

I'm pretty sure I had followed these steps:

1. Make sure Outlook is closed

2. Go the the location of your pst-file

3. Copy it to the new location (D:\My Documents\My Outlook)

4. Rename the file in the old location to .old

Start Outlook; after a warning message it will prompt you to locate the

pst-file. Use the Browse button to direct it to the location you've set in

step 3

NOW - here's where I notice. I went into the default (original) Outlook

data folder

C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook.

I notice that there are the following files:

Outlook.pst

Outlook.old

then also a .old file for each of my email accounts...

Not sure if any of this is relevant, but figured I'd tell you in case.

Any ideas what I could try/do?

CJ

"" wrote:


> "CJ33414" <CJ33414> wrote in message
> news:39AA720D-3825-4DA5-A62C-D620D97E8671@microsoft.com...
>
> > No, it was not an upgrade. The only thing that's different about my Outlook
> > is that I changed the location of my PST file - it's in
> > C:\Users\xxxxx\Documents\My Business\Outlook Data. I use Vista Ultimate.
> > This whole time I've been assuming I couldn't categorize because I'm not
> > using Exchange Server! I'm so glad I came in here to check.


> How did you relocate the PST?
> >

> .
>
 
C

CJ33414

Actually, I'm telling you there's a .pst file in the old location because

this seems odd to me - if I had renamed it to .old, as the instructions say,

it shouldn't be there. I'm thinking perhaps I thought I'd leave it as a

backup (obviously a gross misunderstanding of how .pst files would work -

that .pst file would now be very outdated and missing appointments, contacts,

etc., entered since I relocated the file, correct?)

"CJ33414" wrote:


> I'm pretty sure I had followed these steps:

> 1. Make sure Outlook is closed
> 2. Go the the location of your pst-file
> 3. Copy it to the new location (D:\My Documents\My Outlook)
> 4. Rename the file in the old location to .old

> Start Outlook; after a warning message it will prompt you to locate the
> pst-file. Use the Browse button to direct it to the location you've set in
> step 3

> NOW - here's where I notice. I went into the default (original) Outlook
> data folder
> C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook.

> I notice that there are the following files:
> Outlook.pst
> Outlook.old

> then also a .old file for each of my email accounts...

> Not sure if any of this is relevant, but figured I'd tell you in case.

> Any ideas what I could try/do?

> CJ

> "" wrote:
>
> > "CJ33414" <CJ33414> wrote in message
> > news:39AA720D-3825-4DA5-A62C-D620D97E8671@microsoft.com...
> >
> > > No, it was not an upgrade. The only thing that's different about my Outlook
> > > is that I changed the location of my PST file - it's in
> > > C:\Users\xxxxx\Documents\My Business\Outlook Data. I use Vista Ultimate.
> > > > This whole time I've been assuming I couldn't categorize because I'm not
> > > using Exchange Server! I'm so glad I came in here to check.

> > How did you relocate the PST?
> > > >

> > .
> >
 

Brian Tillman

Senior Member
"CJ33414" <CJ33414> wrote in message

news:D9AF3902-CF81-4B43-BC0D-A731DA9CCBFB@microsoft.com...


> Actually, I'm telling you there's a .pst file in the old location because
> this seems odd to me - if I had renamed it to .old, as the instructions say,
> it shouldn't be there. I'm thinking perhaps I thought I'd leave it as a
> backup (obviously a gross misunderstanding of how .pst files would work -
> that .pst file would now be very outdated and missing appointments,
> contacts,
> etc., entered since I relocated the file, correct?)


What PST(s) does Outlook says it's using? I don't see where you answered the

question "did you upgrade your PST to color categories?".

--
 
C

CJ33414

Oh - that's because you asked me if I had upgraded from a previous version of

Outlook, and IF SO did I upgrade the pst...so when I saw the "if so" I

assumed the upgrade would only apply if I had upgraded from a previous

version of OL (I didn't).

I went into the Data Files tab and the default PST is

C:\Users\xxxx\Documents\My Business\Outlook Data File\Outlook.pst

(so it is the one I copied into the new location). Now for the format it

says Personal Folders File (97-2002). Does that mean I need to upgrade to

2007?

CJ

"" wrote:


> "CJ33414" <CJ33414> wrote in message
> news:D9AF3902-CF81-4B43-BC0D-A731DA9CCBFB@microsoft.com...
>
> > Actually, I'm telling you there's a .pst file in the old location because
> > this seems odd to me - if I had renamed it to .old, as the instructions say,
> > it shouldn't be there. I'm thinking perhaps I thought I'd leave it as a
> > backup (obviously a gross misunderstanding of how .pst files would work -
> > that .pst file would now be very outdated and missing appointments,
> > contacts,
> > etc., entered since I relocated the file, correct?)


> What PST(s) does Outlook says it's using? I don't see where you answered the
> question "did you upgrade your PST to color categories?".
> >

> .
>
 

Brian Tillman

Senior Member
"CJ33414" <CJ33414> wrote in message

news:8608406A-4048-4D6D-AEBA-B46F291D00D1@microsoft.com...


> Oh - that's because you asked me if I had upgraded from a previous version
> of
> Outlook, and IF SO did I upgrade the pst...so when I saw the "if so" I
> assumed the upgrade would only apply if I had upgraded from a previous
> version of OL (I didn't).

> I went into the Data Files tab and the default PST is

> C:\Users\xxxx\Documents\My Business\Outlook Data File\Outlook.pst

> (so it is the one I copied into the new location). Now for the format it
> says Personal Folders File (97-2002). Does that mean I need to upgrade to
> 2007?


I think you would be wise to convert your PST to a Unicode PST. See this:

http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/convert-ansi-pst-to-unicode-pst/

--
 
C

CJ33414

OK Brian, thank you.

Did this yesterday.

A couple of questions:

-I had to add each of my email accounts separately. The import function

added my tasks, calendar items, notes, etc., but not my 3 email accounts

(they're all IMAP, 2 of them are AOL, 1 is my private domain).

-I notice that the categorize option is ONLY available for the Inbox that is

under the Personal Folders structure. This option is still grayed out for

each of the email accounts (each has its own inbox/sent items folder and they

have their own folder hieararchy - none appear as a subfolder of the Personal

Folders structure). Is there a way to have one of my email accounts (or all,

but my priority would be the private domain one) use THAT inbox for mail

delivery so I can use the categorize function?

I realize I can have the sent items appear in the outlook's sent folder by

choosing that folder in the settings for the mail account.

CJ

"" wrote:


> "CJ33414" <CJ33414> wrote in message
> news:8608406A-4048-4D6D-AEBA-B46F291D00D1@microsoft.com...
>
> > Oh - that's because you asked me if I had upgraded from a previous version
> > of
> > Outlook, and IF SO did I upgrade the pst...so when I saw the "if so" I
> > assumed the upgrade would only apply if I had upgraded from a previous
> > version of OL (I didn't).
> > I went into the Data Files tab and the default PST is
> > C:\Users\xxxx\Documents\My Business\Outlook Data File\Outlook.pst
> > (so it is the one I copied into the new location). Now for the format it
> > says Personal Folders File (97-2002). Does that mean I need to upgrade to
> > 2007?


> I think you would be wise to convert your PST to a Unicode PST. See this:
> http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/convert-ansi-pst-to-unicode-pst/
> >

> .
>
 

Brian Tillman

Senior Member
"CJ33414" <CJ33414> wrote in message

news:B6E6A218-33FE-4754-BC0C-986306012CDB@microsoft.com...


> A couple of questions:

> -I had to add each of my email accounts separately. The import function
> added my tasks, calendar items, notes, etc., but not my 3 email accounts
> (they're all IMAP, 2 of them are AOL, 1 is my private domain).


Never import. There's no need. In fact, for IMAP accounts, it's pointless.


> -I notice that the categorize option is ONLY available for the Inbox that is
> under the Personal Folders structure. This option is still grayed out for
> each of the email accounts (each has its own inbox/sent items folder and
> they
> have their own folder hieararchy - none appear as a subfolder of the
> Personal
> Folders structure). Is there a way to have one of my email accounts (or
> all,
> but my priority would be the private domain one) use THAT inbox for mail
> delivery so I can use the categorize function?


IMAP accounts will always have their own folder structures. IMAP PSTs don't

support categories. You can specify an Inbox for IMAP accounts in Outlook

2007. Click Tools>Account Settings. Choose the E-mail Accounts tab and

select one of your IMAP accounts. Can you change the Inbox to your default

Inbox?

--
 

Michael Bauer

Senior Member
Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Additionally to Brian, officially IMAP doesn't support categories, but

categories on IMAP messages do work. With the Category Manager Addin you'd

get a sidebar from which you can choose your categories. With that you don't

need the Categorize button of Outlook anymore. For details see the link in

my signature, please.

Best regards

Michael Bauer

Am Wed, 17 Feb 2010 05:14:01 -0800 schrieb CJ33414:


> OK Brian, thank you.

> Did this yesterday.

> A couple of questions:

> -I had to add each of my email accounts separately. The import function
> added my tasks, calendar items, notes, etc., but not my 3 email accounts
> (they're all IMAP, 2 of them are AOL, 1 is my private domain).

> -I notice that the categorize option is ONLY available for the Inbox that


is
> under the Personal Folders structure. This option is still grayed out for
> each of the email accounts (each has its own inbox/sent items folder and


they
> have their own folder hieararchy - none appear as a subfolder of the


Personal
> Folders structure). Is there a way to have one of my email accounts (or


all,
> but my priority would be the private domain one) use THAT inbox for mail
> delivery so I can use the categorize function?

> I realize I can have the sent items appear in the outlook's sent folder by
> choosing that folder in the settings for the mail account.

> CJ

> "" wrote:
>
> > "CJ33414" <CJ33414> wrote in message
> > news:8608406A-4048-4D6D-AEBA-B46F291D00D1@microsoft.com...
> >
> >> Oh - that's because you asked me if I had upgraded from a previous


version
> >> of
> >> Outlook, and IF SO did I upgrade the pst...so when I saw the "if so" I
> >> assumed the upgrade would only apply if I had upgraded from a previous
> >> version of OL (I didn't).
> >
>>> I went into the Data Files tab and the default PST is
> >
>>> C:\Users\xxxx\Documents\My Business\Outlook Data File\Outlook.pst
> >
>>> (so it is the one I copied into the new location). Now for the format


it
> >> says Personal Folders File (97-2002). Does that mean I need to upgrade


to
> >> 2007?

>

>> I think you would be wise to convert your PST to a Unicode PST. See


this:
> > http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/convert-ansi-pst-to-unicode-pst/
> > > >

>

>> .
> >
 
C

CJ33414

I don't know if you mean I shouldn't have imported the PST (all I did was

follow the instructions that you pointed me to). I didn't "import" the email

accounts. I added each one through Tools, Account settings.

I don't see anywhere where I can change the inbox - only where the Sent

items go.

So basically, even though I upgraded the PST (and I understand it was a good

thing to do) I will still not be able to use categories with IMAP accounts.

Will they work with POP3 accounts?

CJ

"" wrote:


> "CJ33414" <CJ33414> wrote in message
> news:B6E6A218-33FE-4754-BC0C-986306012CDB@microsoft.com...
>
> > A couple of questions:
> > -I had to add each of my email accounts separately. The import function
> > added my tasks, calendar items, notes, etc., but not my 3 email accounts
> > (they're all IMAP, 2 of them are AOL, 1 is my private domain).


> Never import. There's no need. In fact, for IMAP accounts, it's pointless.
>
> > -I notice that the categorize option is ONLY available for the Inbox that is
> > under the Personal Folders structure. This option is still grayed out for
> > each of the email accounts (each has its own inbox/sent items folder and
> > they
> > have their own folder hieararchy - none appear as a subfolder of the
> > Personal
> > Folders structure). Is there a way to have one of my email accounts (or
> > all,
> > but my priority would be the private domain one) use THAT inbox for mail
> > delivery so I can use the categorize function?


> IMAP accounts will always have their own folder structures. IMAP PSTs don't
> support categories. You can specify an Inbox for IMAP accounts in Outlook
> 2007. Click Tools>Account Settings. Choose the E-mail Accounts tab and
> select one of your IMAP accounts. Can you change the Inbox to your default
> Inbox?
> >

> .
>
 

Brian Tillman

Senior Member
"CJ33414" <CJ33414> wrote in message

news:444F87BB-C9B4-406F-9290-ECF70129D029@microsoft.com...


> I don't know if you mean I shouldn't have imported the PST (all I did was
> follow the instructions that you pointed me to).


Nothing that I've cited recommends importing PST.


> I didn't "import" the email
> accounts. I added each one through Tools, Account settings.


You can't import mail accounts anyway. Outlook doesn't have that facility.


> I don't see anywhere where I can change the inbox - only where the Sent
> items go.


My fault. You can specify it for POP accounts, but they work in the way you

seek by default. IMAP accounts will always have their own Inboxes.


> So basically, even though I upgraded the PST (and I understand it was a good
> thing to do) I will still not be able to use categories with IMAP accounts.


You can use categories with IMAP using the tool Michael Bauer recommends, but

not from the Outlook GUI.


> Will they work with POP3 accounts?


Yes, because all POP accounts will receive messages into the same Inbox unless

you say otherwise. However, since POP understands only the Inbox on the mail

server, you won't be able to see any server-side folders.

--
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top