Any workaround to no Outlook and an Exchange server?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

ToddAndMargo

Hi All,

I have a customer with an sbs2003 Exchange server. He would
like to be able to Terminal Service into his server
and run what he wants when he is on the road.

The only thing I can not get going for him is his Outlook,
as apparently running Outlook directly on an Exchange
server is a no-no.

I do know about Outlook Anywhere, but the customer would
like to avoid the confusing of having to switch from
his local desktop back and forth from his Terminal Server
desktop.

Any work arounds? Any words of wisdom?

Many thanks,
-T
 
L

Leonid S. Knyshov // SBS Expert

On 2/26/2010 10:16 AM, ToddAndMargo wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a customer with an sbs2003 Exchange server. He would
> like to be able to Terminal Service into his server
> and run what he wants when he is on the road.
>
> The only thing I can not get going for him is his Outlook,
> as apparently running Outlook directly on an Exchange
> server is a no-no.
>
> I do know about Outlook Anywhere, but the customer would
> like to avoid the confusing of having to switch from
> his local desktop back and forth from his Terminal Server
> desktop.
>
> Any work arounds? Any words of wisdom?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T


There is indeed a workaround for that MAPI requirement. Your user should
be told it is impossible. :)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828050

The user needs to realize that the server should never be used as a
workstation. There should be no line of business applications running.

Easiest supported solution? RWW into an available workstation in the office.
Leonid S. Knyshov
Crashproof Solutions
510-282-1008
Twitter: @wiseleo
http://crashproofsolutions.com
Microsoft Small Business Specialist
Please vote "helpful" if I helped you :)
 
T

ToddAndMargo

On 02/26/2010 10:24 AM, Leonid S. Knyshov // SBS Expert wrote:
> On 2/26/2010 10:16 AM, ToddAndMargo wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have a customer with an sbs2003 Exchange server. He would
>> like to be able to Terminal Service into his server
>> and run what he wants when he is on the road.
>>
>> The only thing I can not get going for him is his Outlook,
>> as apparently running Outlook directly on an Exchange
>> server is a no-no.
>>
>> I do know about Outlook Anywhere, but the customer would
>> like to avoid the confusing of having to switch from
>> his local desktop back and forth from his Terminal Server
>> desktop.
>>
>> Any work arounds? Any words of wisdom?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T

>
> There is indeed a workaround for that MAPI requirement. Your user should
> be told it is impossible. :)
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828050
>
> The user needs to realize that the server should never be used as a
> workstation. There should be no line of business applications running.
>
> Easiest supported solution? RWW into an available workstation in the
> office.


Right now it is just one desktop and one laptop on the
network, plus the server. In the future, it may grow
to two desktops, but I do not see it. (No, I did not
sell or set up the sbs server for him.)

So, no problem using the server as a workstation.

Is there any third party or Outlook look alike he
could use?

-T
 
L

Leonid S. Knyshov // SBS Expert

On 2/26/2010 11:01 AM, ToddAndMargo wrote:
> On 02/26/2010 10:24 AM, Leonid S. Knyshov // SBS Expert wrote:
>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828050

>
> and:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms811700.aspx
>
> Yikes! This is not a road I want to go down.
>
> Looks like I will have to figure out how to get
> Outlook Anywhere working. It did work under Vista,
> but stopped when he upgraded to W7.
>
> -T

*laugh* I gave you some material to prove this point to the client ;)

I am sure some Microsoft developer chuckled when he wrote that KB
article. "So they really want to do this?! Fine... we'll send them off
to the MSDN land and see how long it takes for them to give up..."
Leonid S. Knyshov
Crashproof Solutions
510-282-1008
Twitter: @wiseleo
http://crashproofsolutions.com
Microsoft Small Business Specialist
Please vote "helpful" if I helped you :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top