(Outlook 2007) Best way to migrate POP3 account info + rules from one computer to another?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Johnny Fever

Hi,

I am migrating to a new computer, and would like to transfer my Outlook 2007

stuff.

I already know how to transfer the emails themselves (via archive-pst) but

I'd also like to transfer the various account info (I have a dozen different

POP3 email accounts that Outlook manages) as well as the created RULES I'd

like to keep using on the new machine.

How do I transfer the accounts (all the POP3 info) + various rules?

(I don't think it matters, but just in case : old computer = WinXP 32 / new

computer = Win7 64.)

Thanks!
 
R

Russ Valentine

If you think you should use archive.pst to transfer your emails, then you

are already confused. Archive.pst contains only the email you no longer

need.

Suggest reading the countless posts here that tell you how to transfer your

current Outlook data. That's what you need to do.

You cannot transfer your account data reliably. You should recreate your

accounts from scratch.

Rules will transfer with your PST file, but you will need to reset them to

the new location before they'll work.

Russ Valentine

"Johnny Fever" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message

news:OVnMZ7R0KHA.348@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Hi,

> I am migrating to a new computer, and would like to transfer my Outlook
> 2007 stuff.

> I already know how to transfer the emails themselves (via archive-pst) but
> I'd also like to transfer the various account info (I have a dozen
> different POP3 email accounts that Outlook manages) as well as the created
> RULES I'd like to keep using on the new machine.

> How do I transfer the accounts (all the POP3 info) + various rules?

> (I don't think it matters, but just in case : old computer = WinXP 32 /
> new computer = Win7 64.)

> Thanks!
>
 
J

Johnny Fever

I'm not confused, I've always used .PST files to transfer my emails. It even

keeps the folder structure. I'm not saying there's no other way to do it,

but for you to suggest I'm somehow ignorant for doing it this way for the

past 10 years was ignorant in and of itself.

Clearly I'm not going to get much cooperation from Russ, but if anyone else

wants to help me transfer POP account info + rules, I'd appreciate.

"Russ Valentine" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message

news:uk8fSCS0KHA.4412@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> If you think you should use archive.pst to transfer your emails, then you
> are already confused. Archive.pst contains only the email you no longer
> need.
> Suggest reading the countless posts here that tell you how to transfer
> your current Outlook data. That's what you need to do.
> You cannot transfer your account data reliably. You should recreate your
> accounts from scratch.
> Rules will transfer with your PST file, but you will need to reset them to
> the new location before they'll work.
> > Russ Valentine
> "Johnny Fever" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message
> news:OVnMZ7R0KHA.348@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> > Hi,
>

>> I am migrating to a new computer, and would like to transfer my Outlook
> > 2007 stuff.
>

>> I already know how to transfer the emails themselves (via archive-pst)
> > but I'd also like to transfer the various account info (I have a dozen
> > different POP3 email accounts that Outlook manages) as well as the
> > created RULES I'd like to keep using on the new machine.
>

>> How do I transfer the accounts (all the POP3 info) + various rules?
>

>> (I don't think it matters, but just in case : old computer = WinXP 32 /
> > new computer = Win7 64.)
>

>> Thanks!
 

Diane Poremsky

Senior Member
Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
The accounts will need to be recreated - they are stored in the registry and

while you could export the registry, doing so can introduce corruption if

the computers are not identical. Rules are stored in the pst. You should

export them to a file, just incase...

"Johnny Fever" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message

news:OVnMZ7R0KHA.348@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Hi,

> I am migrating to a new computer, and would like to transfer my Outlook
> 2007 stuff.

> I already know how to transfer the emails themselves (via archive-pst) but
> I'd also like to transfer the various account info (I have a dozen
> different POP3 email accounts that Outlook manages) as well as the created
> RULES I'd like to keep using on the new machine.

> How do I transfer the accounts (all the POP3 info) + various rules?

> (I don't think it matters, but just in case : old computer = WinXP 32 /
> new computer = Win7 64.)

> Thanks!
>
 
W

waykone

Re: (Outlook 2007) Best way to migrate POP3 account info + rules fromone computer to another?

On Apr 1, 5:59 am, "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlook...@msn.com> wrote:
> The accounts will need to be recreated - they are stored in the registry and
> while you could export the registry, doing so can introduce corruption if
> the computers are not identical. Rules are stored in the pst. You should
> export them to a file, just incase...

> >

> Outlook Tips:http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> http://www.slipstick.com/

>

> mailto:dailytips-subscribe-requ...@lists.outlooktips.net

>

> mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQU...@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

> http://forums.slipstick..com/showthread.php?t=39473

> "Johnny Fever" <n...@thanks.com> wrote in message

> news:OVnMZ7R0KHA.348@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...

>
> > Hi,

>
> > I am migrating to a new computer, and would like to transfer my Outlook
> > 2007 stuff.

>
> > I already know how to transfer the emails themselves (via archive-pst) but
> > I'd also like to transfer the various account info (I have a dozen
> > different POP3 email accounts that Outlook manages) as well as the created
> > RULES I'd like to keep using on the new machine.

>
> > How do I transfer the accounts (all the POP3 info) + various rules?

>
> > (I don't think it matters, but just in case : old computer = WinXP 32/
> > new computer = Win7 64.)

>
> > Thanks!


Correct me if I'm wrong! But isn't it as simple as exporting the

account details from Outlook and moving the PST?
 
R

Russ Valentine

I never said not to use PST file. I'm saying your Archive.pst file does not

contain your current data.

Russ Valentine

"Johnny Fever" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message

news:esZF5PU0KHA.4412@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> I'm not confused, I've always used .PST files to transfer my emails. It
> even keeps the folder structure. I'm not saying there's no other way to do
> it, but for you to suggest I'm somehow ignorant for doing it this way for
> the past 10 years was ignorant in and of itself.

> Clearly I'm not going to get much cooperation from Russ, but if anyone
> else wants to help me transfer POP account info + rules, I'd appreciate.

> "Russ Valentine" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:uk8fSCS0KHA.4412@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> > If you think you should use archive.pst to transfer your emails, then you
> > are already confused. Archive.pst contains only the email you no longer
> > need.
> > Suggest reading the countless posts here that tell you how to transfer
> > your current Outlook data. That's what you need to do.
> > You cannot transfer your account data reliably. You should recreate your
> > accounts from scratch.
> > Rules will transfer with your PST file, but you will need to reset them
> > to the new location before they'll work.
> > > > Russ Valentine
> > "Johnny Fever" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message
> > news:OVnMZ7R0KHA.348@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> >> Hi,
> >
>>> I am migrating to a new computer, and would like to transfer my Outlook
> >> 2007 stuff.
> >
>>> I already know how to transfer the emails themselves (via archive-pst)
> >> but I'd also like to transfer the various account info (I have a dozen
> >> different POP3 email accounts that Outlook manages) as well as the
> >> created RULES I'd like to keep using on the new machine.
> >
>>> How do I transfer the accounts (all the POP3 info) + various rules?
> >
>>> (I don't think it matters, but just in case : old computer = WinXP 32 /
> >> new computer = Win7 64.)
> >
>>> Thanks!


>
 
R

Russ Valentine

You cannot export and transfer account settings.

Russ Valentine

"waykone" <waykone@gmail.com> wrote in message

news:fd493136-a32f-4e40-8fb7-65e726898c78@u22g2000yqf.googlegroups.com...

On Apr 1, 5:59 am, "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlook...@msn.com> wrote:
> The accounts will need to be recreated - they are stored in the registry
> and
> while you could export the registry, doing so can introduce corruption if
> the computers are not identical. Rules are stored in the pst. You should
> export them to a file, just incase...

> >

> Outlook Tips:http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> http://www.slipstick.com/

>

> mailto:dailytips-subscribe-requ...@lists.outlooktips.net

>

> mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQU...@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

> Do you sync your mailbox with a smartphone or
> pda?> "Johnny Fever" <n...@thanks.com> wrote in message

> news:OVnMZ7R0KHA.348@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...

>
> > Hi,

>
> > I am migrating to a new computer, and would like to transfer my Outlook
> > 2007 stuff.

>
> > I already know how to transfer the emails themselves (via archive-pst)
> > but
> > I'd also like to transfer the various account info (I have a dozen
> > different POP3 email accounts that Outlook manages) as well as the
> > created
> > RULES I'd like to keep using on the new machine.

>
> > How do I transfer the accounts (all the POP3 info) + various rules?

>
> > (I don't think it matters, but just in case : old computer = WinXP 32 /
> > new computer = Win7 64.)

>
> > Thanks!


Correct me if I'm wrong! But isn't it as simple as exporting the

account details from Outlook and moving the PST?
 

Brian Tillman

Senior Member
"Johnny Fever" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message

news:esZF5PU0KHA.4412@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...


> I'm not confused, I've always used .PST files to transfer my emails. It even
> keeps the folder structure. I'm not saying there's no other way to do it,
> but for you to suggest I'm somehow ignorant for doing it this way for the
> past 10 years was ignorant in and of itself.

> Clearly I'm not going to get much cooperation from Russ, but if anyone else
> wants to help me transfer POP account info + rules, I'd appreciate.


You're taking offense unnecessarily. In Outlook's parlance, "archive PST" has

a very specific meaning. It is the PST created and used by the autoarchive

process to store items that haven't been modified for a specified period of

time, removing them from the main folders so they don't take space needed for

active work. When you say "archive PST", we believe that's what you mean and

we can't know that you're using the term in a different way unless you tell

us.

--
 
J

Johnny Fever

Hi Diane,

I've been manually creating PST files to transfer my email folders and items

for over a decade, but never have the rules migrated with them. Is there

something specific I need to do during either the saving or re-opening

process?

Thanks.

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message

news:88914E6E-24FA-40C2-A199-CB2DDC5A9DA6@microsoft.com...
> The accounts will need to be recreated - they are stored in the registry
> and while you could export the registry, doing so can introduce corruption
> if the computers are not identical. Rules are stored in the pst. You
> should export them to a file, just incase...
 
J

Johnny Fever

What are the two of you still talking about?

To create my PST's, I have to go to File / Archive. This opens a dialog that

allows me to archive my folder structure and all my email items to PST file.

I don't accept that the expression "Archive PST" in this situation is

unacceptable and should open the door to people suggesting I'm confused or

ignorant.

And I am quite surprised and disappointed that you would align yourself with

that side of the debate. You're a MVP. If anyone should be open and

sympathetic to people referring to the expression "Archive PST" when

referring to "PST" files created through the "Archive" command, it would be

you. It's not like I was referring to ZIP files for crying out loud.

Would your time not have been better served telling me about email account

and rules migration, like Diane did?

Little too late now, but thanks anyway.

"" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message

news:%23BcwsvZ0KHA.348@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...

> You're taking offense unnecessarily. In Outlook's parlance, "archive PST"
> has a very specific meaning. It is the PST created and used by the
> autoarchive process to store items that haven't been modified for a
> specified period of time, removing them from the main folders so they
> don't take space needed for active work. When you say "archive PST", we
> believe that's what you mean and we can't know that you're using the term
> in a different way unless you tell us.
> >
 
J

Johnny Fever

I never used the word archive.pst. I referred to archive pst files. You

added the dot, not me.

"Russ Valentine" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message

news:ezb2y5X0KHA.3652@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> I never said not to use PST file. I'm saying your Archive.pst file does not
> contain your current data.
> > Russ Valentine
 

Diane Poremsky

Senior Member
Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
No, unfortunately. There is a 2step you could do to export them, but its

often easier to let outlook recreate the account, especially if

autodiscovery can find the accounts.

The 2step: on old computer, import accounts into OE/Mail/Live then save the

iaf's for each account. Import them into OE/Mail/LM on the other computer

and then import into Outlook.

"waykone" <waykone@gmail.com> wrote in message

news:fd493136-a32f-4e40-8fb7-65e726898c78@u22g2000yqf.googlegroups.com...
> On Apr 1, 5:59 am, "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlook...@msn.com> wrote:
> > The accounts will need to be recreated - they are stored in the registry
> > and
> > while you could export the registry, doing so can introduce corruption if
> > the computers are not identical. Rules are stored in the pst. You should
> > export them to a file, just incase...
>

>> > >

> > Outlook Tips:http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> > http://www.slipstick.com/
>

>>

> > mailto:dailytips-subscribe-requ...@lists.outlooktips.net
>

>>

> > mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQU...@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
>

>> Do you sync your mailbox with a smartphone or
> > pda?
>

>> "Johnny Fever" <n...@thanks.com> wrote in message
>

>> news:OVnMZ7R0KHA.348@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>

>
>>
> > > Hi,

> >
> > > I am migrating to a new computer, and would like to transfer my Outlook
> > > 2007 stuff.

> >
> > > I already know how to transfer the emails themselves (via archive-pst)
> > > but
> > > I'd also like to transfer the various account info (I have a dozen
> > > different POP3 email accounts that Outlook manages) as well as the
> > > created
> > > RULES I'd like to keep using on the new machine.

> >
> > > How do I transfer the accounts (all the POP3 info) + various rules?

> >
> > > (I don't think it matters, but just in case : old computer = WinXP 32 /
> > > new computer = Win7 64.)

> >
> > > Thanks!


> Correct me if I'm wrong! But isn't it as simple as exporting the
> account details from Outlook and moving the PST?
 

Diane Poremsky

Senior Member
Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
No need to use File, Archive - just find the PST your profile uses and copy

it.

See http://www.slipstick.com/config/move_outlook.asp

"Johnny Fever" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message

news:#wKo3la0KHA.3676@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> What are the two of you still talking about?

> To create my PST's, I have to go to File / Archive. This opens a dialog
> that allows me to archive my folder structure and all my email items to
> PST file. I don't accept that the expression "Archive PST" in this
> situation is unacceptable and should open the door to people suggesting
> I'm confused or ignorant.

> And I am quite surprised and disappointed that you would align yourself
> with that side of the debate. You're a MVP. If anyone should be open and
> sympathetic to people referring to the expression "Archive PST" when
> referring to "PST" files created through the "Archive" command, it would
> be you. It's not like I was referring to ZIP files for crying out loud.

> Would your time not have been better served telling me about email account
> and rules migration, like Diane did?

> Little too late now, but thanks anyway.

> "" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:%23BcwsvZ0KHA.348@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>

>> You're taking offense unnecessarily. In Outlook's parlance, "archive
> > PST" has a very specific meaning. It is the PST created and used by the
> > autoarchive process to store items that haven't been modified for a
> > specified period of time, removing them from the main folders so they
> > don't take space needed for active work. When you say "archive PST", we
> > believe that's what you mean and we can't know that you're using the term
> > in a different way unless you tell us.
> > > >


>
 

Diane Poremsky

Senior Member
Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Its new to either 2007 or 2003. Plus, you need to move the current pst, not

use Export or Archive to create the pst you are moving as the rules are a

hidden file stored in the default pst.

"Johnny Fever" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message

news:uGlahga0KHA.2196@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Hi Diane,

> I've been manually creating PST files to transfer my email folders and
> items for over a decade, but never have the rules migrated with them. Is
> there something specific I need to do during either the saving or
> re-opening process?

> Thanks.

> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message
> news:88914E6E-24FA-40C2-A199-CB2DDC5A9DA6@microsoft.com...
> > The accounts will need to be recreated - they are stored in the registry
> > and while you could export the registry, doing so can introduce
> > corruption if the computers are not identical. Rules are stored in the
> > pst. You should export them to a file, just incase...


>
 
R

Russ Valentine

Then you're still making a mistake. You do not transfer Outlook data by

creating an archive. You transfer Outlook data by copying your existing

Outlook data file. Creating an archive doesn't transfer all your data. You

wanted to transfer your rules, right? You sure won't transfer rules using

your method.

As I said, the correct methods for data transfer are posted here daily. Feel

free to read those posts.

Russ Valentine

"Johnny Fever" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message

news:OQxjhma0KHA.3500@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> I never used the word archive.pst. I referred to archive pst files. You
> added the dot, not me.

> "Russ Valentine" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:ezb2y5X0KHA.3652@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> >I never said not to use PST file. I'm saying your Archive.pst file does
> >not contain your current data.
> > > > Russ Valentine


>
 
R

Russ Valentine

There is and was no debate. You do not use the archive process to transfer

your Outlook data. That was the confusion I was trying to point out. PST

files contain a lot of data that the archive process leaves behind.

That's why I suggested using one of the correct methods for data transfer

we've documented here countless times. Like copying your Outlook data file

for example.

Russ Valentine

"Johnny Fever" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message

news:%23wKo3la0KHA.3676@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> What are the two of you still talking about?

> To create my PST's, I have to go to File / Archive. This opens a dialog
> that allows me to archive my folder structure and all my email items to
> PST file. I don't accept that the expression "Archive PST" in this
> situation is unacceptable and should open the door to people suggesting
> I'm confused or ignorant.

> And I am quite surprised and disappointed that you would align yourself
> with that side of the debate. You're a MVP. If anyone should be open and
> sympathetic to people referring to the expression "Archive PST" when
> referring to "PST" files created through the "Archive" command, it would
> be you. It's not like I was referring to ZIP files for crying out loud.

> Would your time not have been better served telling me about email account
> and rules migration, like Diane did?

> Little too late now, but thanks anyway.

> "" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:%23BcwsvZ0KHA.348@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>

>> You're taking offense unnecessarily. In Outlook's parlance, "archive
> > PST" has a very specific meaning. It is the PST created and used by the
> > autoarchive process to store items that haven't been modified for a
> > specified period of time, removing them from the main folders so they
> > don't take space needed for active work. When you say "archive PST", we
> > believe that's what you mean and we can't know that you're using the term
> > in a different way unless you tell us.
> > > >


>
 
J

John

Just to point out to a few issues, there has been conflicting views expressed here.

First, you can actually move your outlook data by archiving them first and importing them back to the new pc. Maybe not the best method but it's quite possible.

Wrong Suggestions

To say that Archiving only means autoarchive. Manual archiving is also possible.

My method will be;

If you're using different version of Outlook on the PCs then;

Make sure you import your old pst files into the new PC's outlook using the import function.

If you're using the same version of Outlook then you just need to copy the files across; eg using xcopy from the new pc.

xcopy "\\Old PC\C$\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook" "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook" /D /S /E /Y

xcopy "\\Old PC\C$\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook" "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook" /D /S /E /Y

Let's know if you are able to resolve this.

-
http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.outlook/-Outlook-2007-Best-way-to-migrate-POP3-account-info-+-rules-from-one-co
 
G

Gordon

"John" <user@msgroups.net/> wrote in message

news:uT9n$Ry2KHA.3652@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Just to point out to a few issues, there has been conflicting views
> expressed here.

> First, you can actually move your outlook data by archiving them first and
> importing them back to the new pc.


Wrong. See below as to why not.


> My method will be;
> If you're using different version of Outlook on the PCs then;
> Make sure you import your old pst files into the new PC's outlook using
> the import function.


Wrong again. See below.


> If you're using the same version of Outlook then you just need to copy the
> files across; eg using xcopy from the new pc.


Partially correct solution.

> xcopy "\\Old PC\C$\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application
> Data\Microsoft\Outlook"
> "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook" /D /S /E /Y

> xcopy "\\Old PC\C$\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local
> Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook"
> "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook" /D /S /E /Y


Do NOT paste into the default location, particularly if there is a pst file

already there.

(Courtesy of Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook])

Importing an entire PST may well corrupt your profile and may create a ghost

PST that you can't close. Importing PST's will lose:

1. Custom Forms

2. Custom Views

3. Connections between contacts and activities

4. Received dates on mail

5. Birthdays and anniversaries in calendar

6. Journal connections

7. Distribution Lists

Opening a PST file will preserve all of these. That is why we do not advise

people to import a native file into Outlook.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top