Moving emails between Accounts

  • Thread starter bGVlYnVjaw
  • Start date Views 2,273
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bGVlYnVjaw

I am new to outlook, and in the process of setting up several accounts some

erroneous accounts were setup and emails downloaded to them.

Now that I've cleaned up all the accounts, I still have some of the bad

named accounts with emails in them.

Is there a way to move the emails from the bad account names into the

correct accounts?

Basically is there a way to move emails between accounts?

Thanks for any help

Lee
 
M

Milly Staples

I don't understand your question unless you are using different profiles for

the accounts. The mail is in your mailbox and does not have anything to do

with your accounts any longer.

What is it you are really asking?


ALWAYS post your Outlook version!

"leebuck" <leebuck> wrote in message

news:360A3C4F-42FE-432D-BDFF-B6678F49ACAF@microsoft.com...
> I am new to outlook, and in the process of setting up several accounts
> some
> erroneous accounts were setup and emails downloaded to them.

> Now that I've cleaned up all the accounts, I still have some of the bad
> named accounts with emails in them.

> Is there a way to move the emails from the bad account names into the
> correct accounts?

> Basically is there a way to move emails between accounts?

> Thanks for any help

> Lee
 
B

bGVlYnVjaw

"" wrote:


> I don't understand your question unless you are using different profiles for
> the accounts. The mail is in your mailbox and does not have anything to do
> with your accounts any longer.

> What is it you are really asking?

> >

> ALWAYS post your Outlook version!

> "leebuck" <leebuck> wrote in message
> news:360A3C4F-42FE-432D-BDFF-B6678F49ACAF@microsoft.com...
> > I am new to outlook, and in the process of setting up several accounts
> > some
> > erroneous accounts were setup and emails downloaded to them.
> > Now that I've cleaned up all the accounts, I still have some of the bad
> > named accounts with emails in them.
> > Is there a way to move the emails from the bad account names into the
> > correct accounts?
> > Basically is there a way to move emails between accounts?
> > Thanks for any help
> > Lee


> I've only got 1 profile, with two e-mail accounts. While setting up one one of the accounts, I was in the e-mail accounts, Settings button and didn't notice that the e-mail account name was pop.bizmail.yahoo.com (not the e-mail address). After I changed the ports to the right numbers and closed the account, it downloaded all the e-mails to the pop.bizmail.yahoo.com account.


I've changed that name to my actual e-mail account name and would like to

move these e-mails from the pop.bizmail.... to the actual e-mail acccount so

that when I sort them by account, I don't have that same strange account name

in the list, just the actual e-mail account.

Hope this clears it up.

Thanks for the help.

Lee
 

Brian Tillman

Senior Member
"leebuck" <leebuck> wrote in message

news:A9BFBD14-F857-4AFB-AED5-0B20A6DE994E@microsoft.com...


> I've only got 1 profile, with two e-mail accounts. While setting up one one
> of the accounts, I was in
> the e-mail accounts, Settings button and didn't notice that the e-mail
> account name was
> pop.bizmail.yahoo.com (not the e-mail address). After I changed the ports
> to the right numbers and
> closed the account, it downloaded all the e-mails to the
> pop.bizmail.yahoo.com account.

> I've changed that name to my actual e-mail account name and would like to
> move these e-mails from the pop.bizmail.... to the actual e-mail acccount so
> that when I sort them by account, I don't have that same strange account
> name
> in the list, just the actual e-mail account.


You can name an account anything you want. Exactly how is version-specific

and you decided to keep that information secret. Messages do not move between

accounts. All POP accounts are aggregated under a single set of folders.

You'll beed to be more specific in desctibing your configuration.

--
 
B

bGVlYnVjaw

"Brian Tillman " wrote:


> "leebuck" <leebuck> wrote in message
> news:A9BFBD14-F857-4AFB-AED5-0B20A6DE994E@microsoft.com...
>
> > I've only got 1 profile, with two e-mail accounts. While setting up one one
> > of the accounts, I was in
> > the e-mail accounts, Settings button and didn't notice that the e-mail
> > account name was
> > pop.bizmail.yahoo.com (not the e-mail address). After I changed the ports
> > to the right numbers and
> > closed the account, it downloaded all the e-mails to the
> > pop.bizmail.yahoo.com account.
> > I've changed that name to my actual e-mail account name and would like to
> > move these e-mails from the pop.bizmail.... to the actual e-mail acccount so
> > that when I sort them by account, I don't have that same strange account
> > name
> > in the list, just the actual e-mail account.


> You can name an account anything you want. Exactly how is version-specific
> and you decided to keep that information secret. Messages do not move between
> accounts. All POP accounts are aggregated under a single set of folders.
> You'll beed to be more specific in desctibing your configuration.
> >

>


Brian,

Sorry, It's Outlook 2003. I was renaming the accounts in the Tools, email

accounts, e-mail settings, general tab. but when I changed the name, the

emails remained under the old account name.

When I "arrange By" e-mail accounts. I have the old name and the new name.

I would just like to get rid of the Old name.

Thanks,

Lee
 

Brian Tillman

Senior Member
"leebuck" <leebuck> wrote in message

news:7F6B5392-CA44-4411-942C-C48616243324@microsoft.com...


> Sorry, It's Outlook 2003. I was renaming the accounts in the Tools, email
> accounts, e-mail settings, general tab. but when I changed the name, the
> emails remained under the old account name.

> When I "arrange By" e-mail accounts. I have the old name and the new name.
> I would just like to get rid of the Old name.


I don't believe that's possible, at least not without code. The message

properties are fixed at the point when the message was entered into the PST.

New messages should have the new account name on them, but I don't see how

it's possible to alter the existing messages.

--
 
B

Bob I

leebuck wrote:

> "Brian Tillman " wrote:

>
> >"leebuck" <leebuck> wrote in message
> >news:A9BFBD14-F857-4AFB-AED5-0B20A6DE994E@microsoft.com...
>

>>
> >>I've only got 1 profile, with two e-mail accounts. While setting up one one
> >>of the accounts, I was in
> >>the e-mail accounts, Settings button and didn't notice that the e-mail
> >>account name was
> >>pop.bizmail.yahoo.com (not the e-mail address). After I changed the ports
> >>to the right numbers and
> >>closed the account, it downloaded all the e-mails to the
> >>pop.bizmail.yahoo.com account.
> >
>>>I've changed that name to my actual e-mail account name and would like to
> >>move these e-mails from the pop.bizmail.... to the actual e-mail acccount so
> >>that when I sort them by account, I don't have that same strange account
> >>name
> >>in the list, just the actual e-mail account.

>

>>You can name an account anything you want. Exactly how is version-specific
> >and you decided to keep that information secret. Messages do not move between
> >accounts. All POP accounts are aggregated under a single set of folders.
> >You'll beed to be more specific in desctibing your configuration.
> >> >
>

>>


> Brian,

> Sorry, It's Outlook 2003. I was renaming the accounts in the Tools, email
> accounts, e-mail settings, general tab. but when I changed the name, the
> emails remained under the old account name.

> When I "arrange By" e-mail accounts. I have the old name and the new name.
> I would just like to get rid of the Old name.

> Thanks,

> Lee


Have you tried using a transfer folder? Make a temporary folder on C:

and then drag an drop the messages from the old account inbox to the

folder, and then open the new account and drag from the folder to the

inbox.
 

Brian Tillman

Senior Member
"Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message

news:O87qGet3JHA.1416@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...


> Have you tried using a transfer folder? Make a temporary folder on C: and
> then drag an drop the messages from the old account inbox to the folder, and
> then open the new account and drag from the folder to the inbox.


That didn't work for me. The old account name was still retained.

--
 
B

Bob I

Brian Tillman wrote:


> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:O87qGet3JHA.1416@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>
> > Have you tried using a transfer folder? Make a temporary folder on C:
> > and then drag an drop the messages from the old account inbox to the
> > folder, and then open the new account and drag from the folder to the
> > inbox.


> That didn't work for me. The old account name was still retained.


Yes it won't change the "To". :-(
 

Brian Tillman

Senior Member
"Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message

news:eiuQzuu3JHA.4872@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...


> Yes it won't change the "To". :-(


I thing the OP was trying to change the "E-mail Account" field of the message,

not any of the address fields.

--
 
B

Bob I

Brian Tillman wrote:


> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:eiuQzuu3JHA.4872@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>
> > Yes it won't change the "To". :-(


> I thing the OP was trying to change the "E-mail Account" field of the
> message, not any of the address fields.


Is that a hidden field?
 

Brian Tillman

Senior Member
"Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message

news:OXJ7FB53JHA.4412@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...


> Is that a hidden field?


It's a column you can add to the header line with Field Chooser, one of the

"All Mail Fields" choices. It contains the name of the account with which the

message was received.

--
 
B

Bob I

Brian Tillman wrote:


> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:OXJ7FB53JHA.4412@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>
> > Is that a hidden field?


> It's a column you can add to the header line with Field Chooser, one of
> the "All Mail Fields" choices. It contains the name of the account with
> which the message was received.


Thanks, don't know why i didn't see that when i looked before!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top