issue with IMAP & multiple Windows accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Terry

I have two user accounts set up in Windows Vista Pro, mine & my roommates.

In Outlook 2007 I have several IMAP accounts set up. A couple of the IMAP
accounts are showing up in my roommates Outlook 2007 folders list. I look
under the account settings in his Outlook, the IMAP accounts are not there.I
right click on the IMAP accounts in the folder list and attempt to close
them, but can not, I get a message that I need to delete the accout first.

I uninstalled Outlook, deleted the Outlook folder from both my account & his
account, both local & roaming. I reinstalled Outlook, and the problem still
exist.

Any ideas why this is and how to rectify the problem?

 
B

Brian Tillman

"Terry" <terryewebb@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:DF6BC1A7-3FA8-4DE9-9C6F-04190F296105@microsoft.com...

>I have two user accounts set up in Windows Vista Pro, mine & my roommates.
>
> In Outlook 2007 I have several IMAP accounts set up. A couple of the IMAP
> accounts are showing up in my roommates Outlook 2007 folders list. I look
> under the account settings in his Outlook, the IMAP accounts are not there.I
> right click on the IMAP accounts in the folder list and attempt to close
> them, but can not, I get a message that I need to delete the accout first.
>
> I uninstalled Outlook, deleted the Outlook folder from both my account & his
> account, both local & roaming. I reinstalled Outlook, and the problem still
> exist.
>
> Any ideas why this is and how to rectify the problem?


A new mail profile for the Windows user that shouldn't have the IMAP folders
showing should fix it. It looks like he added the folders as PSTs to his mail
profile.

 
G

Gordon


"Terry" <terryewebb@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:DF6BC1A7-3FA8-4DE9-9C6F-04190F296105@microsoft.com...
> I have two user accounts set up in Windows Vista Pro, mine & my roommates.
>
> In Outlook 2007 I have several IMAP accounts set up. A couple of the IMAP
> accounts are showing up in my roommates Outlook 2007 folders list. I look
> under the account settings in his Outlook, the IMAP accounts are not
> there.I right click on the IMAP accounts in the folder list and attempt to
> close them, but can not, I get a message that I need to delete the accout
> first.
>
> I uninstalled Outlook, deleted the Outlook folder from both my account &
> his account, both local & roaming. I reinstalled Outlook, and the problem
> still exist.
>
> Any ideas why this is and how to rectify the problem?


If what Brian said is in fact what happened then I can only assume that you
are both running as an administrator. There's no need to in either Vista or
Win 7, and running as a Standard user would ensure that your room mate
cannot access your folders...

 
T

Terry

we both are admins but only because he needs to add programs also
I don't think he can do that as a standard user, can he?

"Gordon" <gordon.burgessparker@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
news:OWrXJRf7KHA.420@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>
> "Terry" <terryewebb@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:DF6BC1A7-3FA8-4DE9-9C6F-04190F296105@microsoft.com...
>> I have two user accounts set up in Windows Vista Pro, mine & my
>> roommates.
>>
>> In Outlook 2007 I have several IMAP accounts set up. A couple of the
>> IMAP accounts are showing up in my roommates Outlook 2007 folders list.
>> I look under the account settings in his Outlook, the IMAP accounts are
>> not there.I right click on the IMAP accounts in the folder list and
>> attempt to close them, but can not, I get a message that I need to delete
>> the accout first.
>>
>> I uninstalled Outlook, deleted the Outlook folder from both my account &
>> his account, both local & roaming. I reinstalled Outlook, and the
>> problem still exist.
>>
>> Any ideas why this is and how to rectify the problem?

>
> If what Brian said is in fact what happened then I can only assume that
> you are both running as an administrator. There's no need to in either
> Vista or Win 7, and running as a Standard user would ensure that your room
> mate cannot access your folders...


 
G

Gordon


"Terry" <terryewebb@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:u$kmqAg7KHA.5476@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> we both are admins but only because he needs to add programs also
> I don't think he can do that as a standard user, can he?
>


Yes. As I said - the advances in both Vista and Windows 7 mean that NO-ONE
needs to run as admin anymore on a daily basis. If a program won't install
under the Standard User just right-click on the executable and choose "run
as admin".

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top