Outlook Weird Behavior

  • Thread starter Um9ja3kgTGFuZQ
  • Start date Views 1,595
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Um9ja3kgTGFuZQ

After I start Office Professional 2003 Outlook, check messages and then close

Ouitlook, a background invsible program keeps running that repeatedly grabs

the focus away from anything else. If I try to start an application by

clicking on the Start button, the start menu pops up but then immediately

disappears. If a start an application from an icon on my desktop, the

application starts but you can see the application windoww gaining and losing

focus every 2 seconds. Typing in Word for example is impossible with losing

focus constantly. This situation does NOT occur if I run any other Office

application, only if I run Outlook.

The only way I have found to solve the problem is to reboot and NOT run

Outlook.

Has anyone else experienced this odd behavior?

I have a current up-to-date Vista Ulitmate system. This problem did not

occur with my previous Windows XP Professional system.

Thanks.
 

Brian Tillman

Senior Member
"Rocky Lane" <RockyLane> wrote in message

news:1DBA0297-98BF-4321-805F-1BC1FABCC71A@microsoft.com...


> After I start Office Professional 2003 Outlook, check messages and then
> close
> Ouitlook, a background invsible program keeps running that repeatedly grabs
> the focus away from anything else. If I try to start an application by
> clicking on the Start button, the start menu pops up but then immediately
> disappears. If a start an application from an icon on my desktop, the
> application starts but you can see the application windoww gaining and
> losing
> focus every 2 seconds. Typing in Word for example is impossible with losing
> focus constantly. This situation does NOT occur if I run any other Office
> application, only if I run Outlook.


In the Task Manager, examine the Processes tab and see if OUTLOOK.EXE still

appears. If so, write back.

--
 
U

Um9ja3kgTGFuZQ

Thanks for responding to my situation Brian.

Yes, even after I close the Outlook application, Task Manager says

Outlook.exe is still running.

Should I be closing Outlook in a different way?

Rocky

"Brian Tillman " wrote:


> "Rocky Lane" <RockyLane> wrote in message
> news:1DBA0297-98BF-4321-805F-1BC1FABCC71A@microsoft.com...
>
> > After I start Office Professional 2003 Outlook, check messages and then
> > close
> > Ouitlook, a background invsible program keeps running that repeatedly grabs
> > the focus away from anything else. If I try to start an application by
> > clicking on the Start button, the start menu pops up but then immediately
> > disappears. If a start an application from an icon on my desktop, the
> > application starts but you can see the application windoww gaining and
> > losing
> > focus every 2 seconds. Typing in Word for example is impossible with losing
> > focus constantly. This situation does NOT occur if I run any other Office
> > application, only if I run Outlook.


> In the Task Manager, examine the Processes tab and see if OUTLOOK.EXE still
> appears. If so, write back.
> >

>
 

Brian Tillman

Senior Member
"Rocky Lane" <RockyLane> wrote in message

news:4B9F8FE6-1947-4DEC-84CC-65FB41C4D003@microsoft.com...


> Yes, even after I close the Outlook application, Task Manager says
> Outlook.exe is still running.


This is an indication that you have a misbehaving add-in or some other

application that is keeping Outlook open, such as a PDA's sync software. See

if this helps:

http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/outlookdoesntclose.htm

--
 
U

Um9ja3kgTGFuZQ

Followed the article's advice but found no add-ins with Outlook 2003. The

only thing mentioned that might be of concern is virus scanners. I have the

free AVG 8.x running on my system.

I suspect it might be one of the dozens of startup programs and services

that Vista allows to run. I use a utility, Autoruns, to find and eliminate as

many of these as possible but there are still a lot there the system needs-

i.e. video card, sound card, Logitech stuff, Sun Java stuff etc.

Now that I know I can just end the Outlook.exe process, at least I won't

have to reboot anymore to get rid of this annoying problem. I'm just too lazy

to junk Outlook and get a "real " email program. Been using it ever since it

first came out.

Thanks Brian for all your help.

"Brian Tillman " wrote:


> "Rocky Lane" <RockyLane> wrote in message
> news:4B9F8FE6-1947-4DEC-84CC-65FB41C4D003@microsoft.com...
>
> > Yes, even after I close the Outlook application, Task Manager says
> > Outlook.exe is still running.


> This is an indication that you have a misbehaving add-in or some other
> application that is keeping Outlook open, such as a PDA's sync software. See
> if this helps:
> http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/outlookdoesntclose.htm
> >

>
 
P

Pat Willener

Is Outlook perhaps residing in your systray (the notification area on

the lower-right)? If so, you did not exit Outlook, but close it to the

systray only.

There is an option to enable/disable this behavior.

Rocky Lane wrote:
> After I start Office Professional 2003 Outlook, check messages and then close
> Ouitlook, a background invsible program keeps running that repeatedly grabs
> the focus away from anything else. If I try to start an application by
> clicking on the Start button, the start menu pops up but then immediately
> disappears. If a start an application from an icon on my desktop, the
> application starts but you can see the application windoww gaining and losing
> focus every 2 seconds. Typing in Word for example is impossible with losing
> focus constantly. This situation does NOT occur if I run any other Office
> application, only if I run Outlook.

> The only way I have found to solve the problem is to reboot and NOT run
> Outlook.

> Has anyone else experienced this odd behavior?

> I have a current up-to-date Vista Ulitmate system. This problem did not
> occur with my previous Windows XP Professional system.

> Thanks.
 
U

Um9ja3kgTGFuZQ

Thanks Pat.

No, my Outlook does NOT use the System Tray feature. But after reading your

reply, I did searches on this and found tons of info about Outlook and this

System Tray feature. One of the things I found was a reply on the

TechRepublic site that talks about Outlook NOT shutting down completely when

you close it because your anti-virus software is still checking the emails

that got downloaded when you opened Outlook. That's why Outlook.exe is still

running under processes in Task Manager but no icons for Outlook are in the

Task Bar or System Tray. When the anti-virus gets finished, it does NOT

terminate the Outlook.exe process. This causes my original problem of losing

window focus because I believe it keeps checking the email server every few

seconds for new email.

The solution seems to be to let Outlook run until the anti-virus finishes

checking your new emails BEFORE closing Outlook. Then it correctly terminates

the Outlook.exe process when you close Outlook and no more losing Windows

focus.

"Pat Willener" wrote:


> Is Outlook perhaps residing in your systray (the notification area on
> the lower-right)? If so, you did not exit Outlook, but close it to the
> systray only.

> There is an option to enable/disable this behavior.

> Rocky Lane wrote:
> > After I start Office Professional 2003 Outlook, check messages and then close
> > Ouitlook, a background invsible program keeps running that repeatedly grabs
> > the focus away from anything else. If I try to start an application by
> > clicking on the Start button, the start menu pops up but then immediately
> > disappears. If a start an application from an icon on my desktop, the
> > application starts but you can see the application windoww gaining and losing
> > focus every 2 seconds. Typing in Word for example is impossible with losing
> > focus constantly. This situation does NOT occur if I run any other Office
> > application, only if I run Outlook.
> > The only way I have found to solve the problem is to reboot and NOT run
> > Outlook.
> > Has anyone else experienced this odd behavior?
> > I have a current up-to-date Vista Ulitmate system. This problem did not
> > occur with my previous Windows XP Professional system.
> > Thanks.

>
 

Brian Tillman

Senior Member
"Rocky Lane" <RockyLane> wrote in message

news:8D3CBBBF-9F30-4705-9ECD-17596CE0F81E@microsoft.com...


> One of the things I found was a reply on the
> TechRepublic site that talks about Outlook NOT shutting down completely when
> you close it because your anti-virus software is still checking the emails
> that got downloaded when you opened Outlook.


There's no reason to scan incoming messages so you should uninstall AVG and

reinstall it without the E-mail scanning feature. AVG shouldn't interfere

with closing Outlook even if it does include the PST in its scan. It never

does for me.

--
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar threads

Top