Why embedded items are blank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

digimonx

Hi,

I have one Outlook 2003 SP3 client with Exchange 2003 SP2 account that gets blank embedded e-mail items, while others can see these embedded e-mails and attachments in them just fine. I cannot find any difference in Outlook settings and Exchange mailbox settings between this one user and others. This user has the same issue with Internet e-mails on different computers, local e-mails are fine.

If the e-mails are sent to the group this user belongs to, he can see the attachments just fine, but when e-mail addressed to him explicitly then all embedded attachments appear to be 64B in size, have "This message has not been sent" line under the Menu bar when opened and have all fields including message body blank.

What can cause this?

Thank you.

Forum Admin

It sounds like the messages he gets are coming in as drafts - figuring out why might be the hard part. Is a virus scanner running on his client computer and scanning incoming messages?

digimonx

Thank you for response.

No antivirus. The messages are fine, the embedded e-mail items (attachments) are the issue.

Forum Admin

How are you embedding? Something makes outlook think its a draft.

also, are you using his address from the autocomplete cache? if so, delete it from the cache and address it from contacts and see if it works.

digimonx

I go to Insert Item while composing new message in order to attach an e-mail item from my Inbox and doing that creates an embedded attachment. Maybe it is wrong to call it embedded, I am not sure.

I read about similar cases when recipient is in the Contacts or Global Address Book of the sender as a Contact, and it was recommended to remove it from Contacts and Outlook nickname cache, but telling every customer and partner to do that is not what I would want to do. Also I tried sending an embedded attachment from an e-mail account that does not have his address in the cache or Contacts and run into the same issue.

This is happening to this user only, everyone else can open embedded attachments just fine...

Forum Admin

If its happening with *every* outside sender who sends msg attachments, it seems unlikely to be the contact or autocomplete list- unless he only gets msg attachments from very few senders, the problem sounds like its on your end. Unless it also happens when they send a message only to coworker, then it could be their server - i found a few references to issues from sender with AOL addresses and blank messages. (And one that said Exchange SP1 fixed it - but you have sp2. :( )

Oh... is he using google desktop search? This is known to cause issues with msg attachments. It should affect all msg attachments, not just ones from the internet though. Also, when you said you compared all settings to other computers, did this include addins and his outlook version #?

digimonx

Yes, he has the same issue with every sender.

I read about Google desktop too, but that is not the case. He has this issue on every computer, even terminal server, and even if his Inbox is open by Administrator through File\Open\Other User's Folder.

I cannot imagine it happens because of the setting on his AD account or mailbox, because I have set him up and have not customized it in any way.

I have also cleaned Save Senders and Recipients list in his Outlook, tried opening Outlook in safe mode although the list of add-ins he has is not different in any way, and reset Security Zones and all other settings in his Internet Explorer to default, deleted Temporary Internet Files, but no luck...

Forum Admin

With an exchange mailbox a problem that causes a corrupt message on one computer updates the mailbox so the corrupt message is also seen on any other computer he uses. Also, once the message is corrupt, removing the source of the corruption is unlikely to fix the existing messages but new ones won't be affected.

if the message was not corrupted, it would be OK on the other computers and the problem limited to a specific machine.

If you close all copies of outlook that are open to his mailbox and look at it using open other users folder, do new test messages get corrupt? If so, it could be a corrupt mailbox - to fix you'd export everything, delete the mailbox and create a new one. Again, existing items are probably corrupt forever, but new ones should be ok.

If you want more evidence its the mailbox and not his computer or windows profile, you can make a new mailbox (for testing only), open it on his computer and send it some test messages. Leave it open and wait long enough for it to be indexed - do they get corrupted? If no, I'd delete the mailbox and recreate it.

digimonx

I was testing it every time I made a change and thought it would help.

I will try all you suggested that I have not done so far.

Thanks a lot.

Forum Admin

Is IRM involved? This caught my eye while checking something for someone else - your scenario doesn't fit with the KB's description but they could be related.

Changes that you make in a Rich Text Format (RTF) e-mail message disappear

You change an RTF e-mail message. If the e-mail message is protected by Information Rights Management (IRM), changes that you make to the e-mail message disappear when you reply to the message or when you forward the message.

from Description of the Outlook 2003 post-Service Pack 3 hotfix package: December 7, 2007 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935411/en-us

Status
Not open for further replies.