Opening imported messages throws a "custom form could not be opened" error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

I recently set up a new Windows 7 PC and installed Office 2010. I migrated my old mail over from Thunderbird (via Windows Live Mail and Outlook 2003). All the messages are there and can be opened but the problem is that each time I open one of the imported messages I get this error. "the custom form could not be opened. Outlook will use an Outlook form instead. The object could not be found."

The messages are all marked with the unread icon and this does not change on opening the message. It only seems to affect the inbox. Any suggestions how to resolve this annoyance?

Duke

Re: Opening imported messages throws a "custom form could not be opened" error

Thanks Diane, this is a good suggestion but does not work. I have had MS play with all the settings via remote assist and nothing seems to work. The problem seems to be that Windows Live Mail produces these results when used as a go between (another mail system to Outlook). It must corrupt the data somehow. Had a similar problem with moving my father's mail from OE.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange

There is more to it than LM or OE - I (and many others) do the same thing over and over and never have the problem.

Get docmessageclass (http://www.publicshareware.com/download/DocMessageClass.zip) and run it - you can use it to apply new forms to outlook items. It may not let you do anything - my guess is the corrupt form is ipm.note but it might be worth a try. The other thing that might be worth trying is scanpst.

Duke

Thanks Diane,

docmessageclass resolved the issue. There were messages with a class listed as ??? and by setting these to IPM.Note it cleared up the errors on opening the messages and set the message icons to opened.

Thanks for your advice on this - an excellent solution.

BTW. I had used scanpst - this did not help.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange

Yeah, with an unknown message class, scanpst won't do much good. Thanks for letting us know what worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.