Outlook Changes E-mail Format Automatically

Status
Not open for further replies.

bishro

My computer at work was recently upgraded to Windows XP and Office 2003 (clean install of both). Since then, Outlook has been automatically changing the format of messages I'm composing.

I have Outlook set to use Plain Text, and Word is not my default e-mail editor.

When I'm typing a new message or replying to a message I received, Outlook will often automatically change the format of the message from plain text or Rich Text to HTML. Sometimes this happens a few seconds after starting the message, but other times it happens after a few minutes. There are times when it doesn't seem to happen at all, even after 20 minutes.

I've tried recreating it, but I can't force it to happen on demand. It happens both when Word is running, and when Word is not running (and that includes checking to see if Winword.exe is running in the background).

My IT Support area has no idea why this is happening, and it appears to be affecting only me. The only "extra" thing I have in Outlook is the Adobe Acrobat toolbar, but I had that in Outlook 2000 on the old computer and didn't have this problem.

Has anyone run across this situation before, or have any thoughts on how to solve it?

Ron

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Could you be hitting a shortcut? I don't there is a simple shortcut for it (like alt+r) - its Alt+O,R (or H) - with a confirmation dialog - so its not something I'd expect to happen based on an accidental keystroke.

If you start outlook in safe mode, does it happen? (It's hard to test when you can't force a repro... but if it happens in safe mode its not acrobat causing it.) To get into safe mode, close outlook and hold Ctrl as you clickthe Outlook icon to start it.

bishro

Thanks for the response.

I really doubt I'm accidentally hitting a keystroke, since this just started happening with the switch to OL2003. (I had been using OL2K before that.) Also, some of the times the e-mail format changed was while I was on the phone, not using the computer at all, and then when I got back to the keyboard, the message format had changed.

I ran Outlook in Safe mode this morning, and couldn't get the problem to occur. I switched back to "regular" mode and still can't make it change. I'll keep trying and respond back here if I can get it to occur in Safe mode.

Ron Bishop

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
No, i don't think its an accident either - too many keystrokes involved. Something the touches mail (antivirus scanner or search indexer, etc) is likely the cause.

Is it happening when autosave kicks in? This is usually at 3 minutes of composing a message.

bishro

Auto-Save was one of my thoughts, too, but in my attempts to recreate the problem, I've been able to leave messages open for hours without the format changing, even though the messages were being saved in the Drafts folder. Also, the format change sometimes happens before I can even finish typing a short sentence -- long before the Auto-Save should have kicked in.

I also thought it might be tied to a specific time of the day, with some background process kicking off at that time, but some days it happens frequently, and other days (like today), it doesn't happen at all, and as far as I know, we don't have anything that runs on an odd schedule like that. But I have not actually checked the Task Scheduler yet, so I'll do that when I return to the office next week.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.