RECOVERING outlook contacts after changing mail account settings !

S

sydsdh

THis I hope has a simple solution... I have been using outlook for a couple of months synced to my hotmail account.

I got a new email account with a domain I created and changed the settings to direct to it... so my contacts have disappeared. I spent hours sorting the contacts and don't want to lose them. I have re-created another outlook profile linked to the hotmail account again and the emails are synced again but the contacts did not come back with the sorting and categorization or additions by the looks of it.

R

Roady [MVP]

Did you also keep your contacts in your Hotmail account?
Do they still show in your Hotmail account when you logon via the web?

If so, make sure you make a connection to your Hotmail account in Outlook via the Outlook Hotmail Connector;
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=3d003da0-f684-4f4d-a9c8-8d15b84f60d1

If not, it is probably because you stored your contacts in a separate pst-file.
To reconnect to any previous pst-file you might had, use;
File-> Open-> Outlook Data File...

Note that there is no need to create a separate mail profile just for adding an account. A single mail profile can hold multiple mail accounts.

S

sydsdh

contacts are there but I have lost the sorting.... categorizing

outlook data ... no old file shows up that I can see ... whats the default file location ?

Also what are the data files .. and why when I open does it add to the data file list ... are this always active after opening ? ... I don't understand the whole structure....

why do they make it so damn complicated....

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange

THis I hope has a simple solution... I have been using outlook for a couple of months synced to my hotmail account.

I got a new email account with a domain I created and changed the settings to direct to it... so my contacts have disappeared. I spent hours sorting the contacts and don't want to lose them. I have re-created another outlook profile linked to the hotmail account again and the emails are synced again but the contacts did not come back with the sorting and categorization or additions by the looks of it.

Categories don't sync - in Hotmail they are Groups, in Outlook just categories. Add the Hotmail account to the profile with the new account and drag the contacts from hotmail to the pst file the new account uses.

S

sydsdh

thanks...

I know they don't sync ... but they (the categories) did exist in outlook before I made the account changes... so how do I get them back

to review

* I changed the hotmail account settings to point to a new mail server - not hotmail

* it might have then had two data files listed, so I removed the old one from the list.... and then my mail and contacts disappeared.

* I created a new profile and linked once again to the hotmail account ... hoping that whatever file outlook has on my computer would link up again and I would see my contacts and category structure.... it didn't - just re-imported everything including the raw contacts.

???

and second question:

what are the data files... why do I have two listed and I can't change the default or delete the one that is the default...

Why doesn't microsoft have phone support for 2010 ... this is so frustrating ...

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange

contacts are there but I have lost the sorting.... categorizing

outlook data ... no old file shows up that I can see ... whats the default file location ?

Also what are the data files .. and why when I open does it add to the data file list ... are this always active after opening ? ... I don't understand the whole structure....

why do they make it so damn complicated....

Data files are what outlook stores your mail, calendar and contacts in. The Outlook Hotmail Connector puts it in the

%localappdata%\microsoft\outlook

folder (paste the line above in the address bar of windows explorer)

Hotmail Connector makes its own data file and it usually can't be opened other than by the account that created it.

S

sydsdh

OK .. great ... I see files ! ... obi's etc... so how do I re-connect with these .. ? one of these contains the contact structure I assume ?

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange

thanks...

I know they don't sync ... but they (the categories) did exist in outlook before I made the account changes... so how do I get them back

to review

* I changed the hotmail account settings to point to a new mail server - not hotmail

* it might have then had two data files listed, so I removed the old one from the list.... and then my mail and contacts disappeared.

* I created a new profile and linked once again to the hotmail account ... hoping that whatever file outlook has on my computer would link up again and I would see my contacts and category structure.... it didn't - just re-imported everything including the raw contacts.

???

and second question:

what are the data files... why do I have two listed and I can't change the default or delete the one that is the default...

Why doesn't microsoft have phone support for 2010 ... this is so frustrating ...

Categories are in outlook only - you need to get the old data file back for the hotmail account. How long ago did you make the change? If recent enough, use system restore to roll back before the change, and either add the new account into the profile or add a new data file to the profile and copy the hotmail contacts to it. If the change was recent and you didn't make other changes to the computer (like installing software) , i would add the new account to the profile and move the contacts to it before removing the hotmail account.

Each time you add/remove the hotmail account it creates a new pst.

What type of account is the new one? If its IMAP, it can't be default because IMAP does not support Calendar and Contacts.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
OK .. great ... I see files ! ... obi's etc... so how do I re-connect with these .. ? one of these contains the contact structure I assume ?

Do you have two files named you@hotmail.com ? The older one is the one you used before. You can try adding it to the profile (Account Settings, Data file, Add) and see if the contents are in it. I will warn you that the pst files created by the connector are weird and you may not see the data in them, even if the size indicates there is a lot of data.

S

sydsdh

The system restore worked .. I got it all back ... and I set up the emails all under the same profile.... which works better anyway

thanks very much for your help !! Your my Saviour for today :)

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
You're welcome but System restore was the saviour, not me. :)