Unable to import calendar from Backup (.pst) file.

• Thread starter Old Carol
  • Start date Views 2,910
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Old Carol

My laptop crashed the other day and I had to install the recovery discs. I had completed a backup about 3 days previously. I use the backup facility to backup my email daily. I use Hotmail converted to Microsoft Outlook using the Outlook Connector. Email (Inbox & Sent Items) and Contacts have loaded using the Microsoft Outlook Import and Export Wizard (using the Personal Folder File (.pst). But I have been unable to obtain my calendar information. I used the different scenarios starting with 'Replace duplicates with items imported; including subfolders/ {and I have tried using 'import items into the current folder and Personal Folders' and get the message _ You have chosen to import a folder whose type differs from that of the selected folder. The items will be imported to into a new folder with the same name. Then the message - The source and designation folders for this operation cannot be the same. When I used the option 'import items into the current folder and my live.com email address, I get the same messages. I used the next option, Import items into the same folder in 'Personal Folders' and received the error message, The source and destination folders for this operation cannot be the same. Using the same option and my live.com email address and I got nothing, no message and no data. Can you help me? Many thanks, Carol Graham

PS still working on the last request to have two laptops working off of the same modem. No successful yet.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
The backup use the pst file the Hotmail account used on the old computer? Everything is stored online when you use the connector, so you don't need to back up.

If it is a different pst, open it using file, open, outlook data file and move the contents yourself.

O

Old Carol

Hi Diane

Thank you for the quick reply.

I backup daily Microsoft Outlook 2003. When I close the Outlook 2003, I am asked if I want to backup. I have downloaded the Personal Folders Backup from Microsoft.

I have tried to open the .pst file with file but the next option is 'Open with ...'. I clicked on 'Open with ...' and got the message: You are attempting to open a file of type 'Office Data File' (.pst) These files are used by the operating system and by various programs. Editing or modifying them could damage your system. If you still want to open the file, click Open With, otherwise, click Cancel.

I clicked Open With and got Windows cannot open this file: File: Outlook backup as at Apr 4th.pst I downloaded FileCure and the scan came back with no problems.

Can you give me any further assistance?

Many thanks, Carol

B

BillGulledge

I backed up Outlook using MS Personal Folders backup tool to an external hard drive. I moved the hard drive to my new laptpo running Windows 7 (64 bit). How do I restore?

Bill

B

BillGulledge

I exported Outlook 2003 PST files to external hard drive, as a second attempt at moving Outlook to my new laptop running Windows 7 (64). I moved the hard drive to the new laptop and tried to import the pst files into Outlook. Got an error message telling me I did not have permission to import the files. How di I get permission.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.