Microsoft Outlook Today problem not displaying new unread mail notification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bravokilolima

Those who use Outlook today to manage their email as I do will empathise with me here I am sure.

Recently having upgraded to Outlook 2007 from 2003. Using 2003 I had rules set up to transfer incoming mail to specific Public folders. These public folders where displayed (chosen on the Today options facility) on the outlook today front atart up page and when new mail came in and was transferred to those folders the number of new unread mail was illustrated alongside the folders name on the Today page. Since changing to 2007 I am having problems with mail transferred under rules copied across not being displayed as with 2003.

I have tried creating new rules and folders etc to no avail.

Does anyone know if this facility is not available in 2007 or is there a setting I should be adjusting. Any help will be gratefully recieved. Thanks

Barry

B

Bravokilolima

Hi Diane, I think they are in public folder favorites but I could be wrong.

In the navigation pane there are three main folders, my mailbox, Archive Folders and Public folders. In the public folder there are two sub folders, favorites and All public folders. The rules transfer the emails to sub folders (down to another three levels) within the All public folders.

Hope this is clear enough for you to understand.

Many thanks for your help and interest.

Barry

A

ambassadorofkwan

I'm having the same issue. After upgrading from 2003 to 2007 (and connected to an Exchange server), the rules that I have created to move specific mail to folders no longer automatically shows a bolded folder with the number of new emails.

the workaround that I use currently is, right after opening Outlook, I click on each folder and it then shows the unread mail (after what seems to be a quick loading period). but I am uncertain how long it lasts.

These folders for me are Mailbox -> Clients -> (Client Name)

they are not in the favorites area.

Interestingly, I have a separate PST file that I save emails from other accounts into and that shows folders bolded when unread mail comes in all the time.

G

geographygirl

I am also having this issue. It actually used to work on Outlook 2007, but then after an update was pushed out by our systems department it stopped and we have not figured out what was changed to cause it. (and of course I have no idea WHICH update it was because I didn't see the day it stopped working, just started getting irritated phone calls from people I wasn't responding to)

I have many, many mail folders placed locally on my machine and not on the Exchange Server. Those folders on the Server show the correct number of unread items in them when the rule runs and puts them in the folder specified. For those rules that run and place unread email in local (pst) folders on my machine, the number of unread items does not work anymore. I do have most of these in my favorites folder as they are from people that will require answers more quickly than those that go to my inbox, but those folders not in my favorites also have the same problem.

This means that I can miss emails that are important. It's critical to my work flow to be able to see these specific people in the hundreds of emails I get, so I could really, really use some help figuring this out. Turns out our Exchange Server expert is on vacation for a couple of weeks.

G

geographygirl

We may have just solved my issue or found a workaround to it.

Turns out you have to have a actual Folder, underneath the main folder name in the pst file in order for the new mail to show up as unread. I created a folder underneath the main one, moved all the mail there, then changed my incoming rule to move the new mail to that folder. I put the new sub folder in my favorites. New mail to those sub folders is now making the folder go bold and showing me the number of new mails there.

It's not the greatest, but it is working.

Status
Not open for further replies.