Outlook 2010 Show a second time zone daylight savings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nyameje

Outlook 2010 ver. 14.0.4760.1000 (32-bit)

Windows 7 Enterprise x64

Exchange 2007 SP1

When displaying two time zones on Calendar, second time zone is one hour off and newly created appointments are scheduled one hour later in the second time zone. Windows 7 accurately displays time difference in the 2 time zones, however Outlook does not.

In " Show a second time zone" settings are:

Time zone: (UTC+02:00) Helsinki, Kyiv, Riga, Sofia, Tallinn, Vilnius

Second time zone: (UTC-6:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

This smells like a daylight savings update problem, but the system is fully updated, including all DST daylight savings time updates. Also, Outlook 2007 did not exhibit this problem. (Office 2010 RTM recently replaced 2007 on this computer.) Also, for what it's worth, I travel globally frequently, have been successfully using Outlook to manage appointment times, etc. for many years.

Steps to reproduce:

Set Windows time zone to (UTC+02:00) Helsinki, Kyiv, Riga, Sofia, Tallinn, Vilnius, and check (enable) the option Automatically adjust for daylight savingsIn Outlook (2010) Options, Calendar options, enable Show a second time zone and select (UTC -06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)Inspect the vertical time " axis" on left side of Calendar UI. Note that Central Time is shifted or inaccurate one hour.A cluster is really a GOOD thing.

P

Pollardie

Is it Office 2010 RTM or Beta?

I am trying to reproduce it on my Office 2010 RTM.

S

SethD

I have the same issue with a RTM office 2010 32 bit version. i don't even see the checkbox in the options calendar time zone section (as implied in the help topic). did MS forget to put the check box in place? is there a way to set the adjustment to DST somewhere else?

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
I have the same issue with a RTM office 2010 32 bit version. i don't even see the checkbox in the options calendar time zone section (as implied in the help topic). did MS forget to put the check box in place? is there a way to set the adjustment to DST somewhere else?

I don't know if they forgot or left it out and always update for DST based on the selected time zone (ie, if it uses DST, it automatically updates).

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
What dates are you viewing? I see it only when i view the last 2 full weeks of march - between Mar 14 (US DST changes) and Mar 28 (Helsinki's DST goes into effect).

B

Bismarck Ho

Actually I have the same issue. I set the first time zone as Pacific Time (UTC-08:00) and the second time zone to Eastern Time (UTC-05:00) then the calendar will show 4 hours differences. Then if I click the swap time zone button in the option the time differences will changed to 2 hours. Both time are wrong as it should show 3 hours differences. However if I change the timezone to a non-DST area (e.g. set Hong Kong (UTC+08:00) as primary time zone and Eastern Time (UTC-05:00)) then it show correct time differences......Bismarck Ho (TE022114P)

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Actually I have the same issue. I set the first time zone as Pacific Time (UTC-08:00) and the second time zone to Eastern Time (UTC-05:00) then the calendar will show 4 hours differences. Then if I click the swap time zone button in the option the time differences will changed to 2 hours. Both time are wrong as it should show 3 hours differences. However if I change the timezone to a non-DST area (e.g. set Hong Kong (UTC+08:00) as primary time zone and Eastern Time (UTC-05:00)) then it show correct time differences......Bismarck Ho (TE022114P)

What OS? What dates are you viewing? Does it repro with every date, year round?

I use these two zones all the time and the times are always 3 hrs apart, except for the day DST kicks in -http://www.slipstick.com/calendar/dst_week.asp

B

Bismarck Ho

Using Windows 7 Ultimate and Office 2010 Pro Plus. I checked the calendar again and it start to have problem on 3/14 and end in 11/7. The problem is exactly like your link, except it is not happen in one day but for the whole period of time. Also as mentioned above if I click the swap time zone button in the option the time differences will changed to 2 hours. I can reproduce on all machine in our office using Office 2010.Bismarck Ho (TE022114P)

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Using Windows 7 Ultimate and Office 2010 Pro Plus. I checked the calendar again and it start to have problem on 3/14 and end in 11/7. The problem is exactly like your link, except it is not happen in one day but for the whole period of time. Also as mentioned above if I click the swap time zone button in the option the time differences will changed to 2 hours. I can reproduce on all machine in our office using Office 2010.Bismarck Ho (TE022114P)

Mine happens between 3/14 and 3/28 then it corrects itself as i roll through the weeks, until Oct 31 - Nov 7. This is normal because each zone in the original post has a different DST start/end date.

How many machines are in your office? Try restarting one using the cleanviews switch and see if it helps.

B

Bismarck Ho

I tried to use /cleanviews parameter to start Outlook but still the same issue...Bismarck Ho (TE022114P)

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
What's the first day of your week? What view are you using?

N

Nyameje

In this particular case, I was looking at appointments during the last week of May 2010, 22-29 specifically. Helsinki DST was already in effect. To me, this does smell like a DST-related problem, but these symptoms did not occur on Outlook 2007.

Windows 7 Enterprise x64 is set to auto-adjust for DST (daylight savings time). Again:

Outlook 2010 ver. 14.0.4760.1000 (32-bit)

Windows 7 Enterprise x64

Exchange 2007 Standard SP1

We have about a 400 Outlook Pro Plus users in 9 countries, FYI. Cheers!

A cluster is really a GOOD thing.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
This video shows the normal behavior when you view periods that begin with the Sunday the time changes. This is normal as outlook uses the time scale from the first day in the view and it can't redraw the time scale to drop 2-3 am. It corrects itself as soon as the Sunday the time changes is not the first day in the view. I'm using weeks and work weeks in the video but its the same if you select random dates - if the first date is the Sunday the time changes, the time scale will be goofy for all dates in the view.

http://www.slipstick.com/tutorials/timezone/timezone.html

When the two time zones have different start/end dates, the differences will cover all days in the period between the two dates (2 weeks in the spring for Helsinki and the US, 1 in the fall).

If your scales are not adjusting correctly when both zones are completely in DST or ST, please post a video online and I'll make sure the right people see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.