Recovering Office 2003 Outlook Contacts after Drive Failure still have access to all data - where are contacts stored.

• Thread starter NEPHX2010
  • Start date Views 788
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NEPHX2010

Drive failed on Windows XP Pro using Office 2003 Outlook.System no longer boots but I have access to the failing drive.drive itself and have the pst files and still access.

Using POP3 email account and hotmail account with hotmail connector (all reconfiged on new system).

Goal: Restore the email (done) and the Contact List to the new computer and reinstalled Outlook 2003.

I know where the files are locatedin the file system and on the old drive but not specifically which other files (besides the PST files) I have to move or how to import them for the new Outlook system to have Contact info from the old system/drive.

I can't start the old Outlookto do any kind of backup of the contact list at this point. I do have access to the old drive and I can get the data from it if I know where to look and how to import it into the new computer and Outlook 2003.

I've been searching for information on how to do this.

Which file contains the Contact info: (.oab, .pad, .nk2) when using standard POP3 with outlook. (no contact manager or secondary address books, etc.).? and how do I restore them to the new system. This system was not using the Outlook backup program.

Thanks.

G

GordonBP

If you've restored the emails, then you've restored your contacts as well. ALL Outlook data is held in the ONE pst file. What makes you think your contacts aren't there? How did you "restore" your Outlook data?If you find my response helpful, please click on the "Vote as Helpful" button!Thank you!My Blog

N

NEPHX2010

Thanks, I just figured it out.... with the help of your post as a tickler.

I was opening the file and not importing it. Its been along time since I had to recover from an Outlook issue and the "answers" I found online in MS to move between computers instructed to "open" the pst and not import it.

G

GordonBP

Thanks, I just figured it out.... with the help of your post as a tickler.

I was opening the file and not importing it. Its been along time since I had to recover from an Outlook issue and the "answers" I found online in MS to move between computers instructed to "open" the pst and not import it.

That's precisely what you SHOULD have done - opened it!

(Courtesy of Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook])

Importing an entire PST may well corrupt your profile and may create a ghost

PST that you can't close. Importing PST's will lose:
1. Custom Forms
2. Custom Views
3. Connections between contacts and activities
4. Received dates on mail
5. Birthdays and anniversaries in calendar
6. Journal connections
7. Distribution Lists

Opening a PST file will preserve all of these. That is why we do not advise

people to import a native file into Outlook.

If you find my response helpful, please click on the "Vote as Helpful" button!Thank you!My Blog

N

NEPHX2010

The Contacts, calendar entries and To DO are not there if I just open it from what I've been able to find.

So if I don't import it, I don't seem to get contacts, calendar, To Do, etc.

Is there a documented "best way" to bring over the data from one system to a new system, safe all the email, contacts, calendar entries and To DO as well as the things you listed above?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.