Where can I download BCM 2010 stand alone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SandyKron

I purchased 2007 Outlook (stand alone) with BCM with the full intention of using Microsoft's Technology Guarantee to upgrade to 2010 when available.

I did upgrade Outlook to the 2010 version, however I cannot find any link to Business Contact Manager 2010 upgrade. The BCM that was available in 2007 is now disabled. This is causing a total hardship for replying to customers, as nowI can't reply to emails in Outlook 2010 . I keep getting an error message saying " Failed to get folder reference for path " \\Business Contact Manager\Accounts" ,

Here is what is posted on Microsoft's Technology page.... " Customers who have an Office 2007 suite that includes Outlook with Business Contact Manager will be able to download Business Contact Manager 2010 separately at no additional cost." ...... but they don't say how to go about doing that.

Does anyone know where I can download BCM 2010? Even if I have to buy it, I would like to know where I can get it. Or what else can I do so that I can reply to my customers emails? I have searched the internet for hours and can't find any answers to this.

I also understand that Outlook 2010 is not compatible with Microsoft Accounting, which would have been nice to know in advance. I probably would have just stuck with 2003. Accounting has an option to disable Outlook. Should I disable it since it is not compatible anyway? Is Outlook 2010 trying to connect with that database? Why can't I send mail if BCM is not there?

Or should I just uninstall 2010 and hope that I can get 2007 back with all of my information still intact so that I can use BCM?

I am certainly not impressed so far. Seems to me I just wasted a bunch of money for a new program with upgrade possibilities that is only causing me a lot of grief. Can I send it all back and request a refund?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Sandy Kron

E

Ezil Vinoth

The download for BCM 2010 is currently unavailable.

Until the download for BCM for Outlook 2010 is made available, you can use Outlook 2007 with BCM.

Note: Office / Outlook 2010 uninstall will not hamper the data stored in Outlook.

S

Sue Mosher - Outlook MVP

Have you tried the Upgrade Now process on the Technology Guarantee site? That's the first step to getting the upgrade. I don't have a qualifying version of Outlook 2007 so I can't try it, but I am asking about the status.

You may be able to eliminate the email problems while you wait by disabling the BCM add-in.

M

Maxwell Joseph

We"d like to thank you for using Outlook with Business Contact Manager and your support over the years. We recognize that with the launch of Office 2010 we"ve limited the number of suites in which Outlook with Business Contact Manager is available. We are currently working on a solution to be available shortly. Please watch this space for more updates. We would also contact you in the near future with our response. We appreciate your patience and co-operation on this

S

Sue Mosher - Outlook MVP

Maxwell, could you address the original poster's question about the promised availability of BCM 2010 as part of the Technology Guarantee program:

Here is what is posted on Microsoft's Technology page.... " Customers who have an Office 2007 suite that includes Outlook with Business Contact Manager will be able to download Business Contact Manager 2010 separately at no additional cost." ...... but they don't say how to go about doing that.

C

craigj73

I am a longtime BCM user. I upgraded from Office Pro 2007 to Office Pro 2010 yesterday. I spent 3 hours last night trying to figure out why BCM would not work. Now we learn that BCM was not included in the Office Pro 2010??? The install of Office 2010 required removal of Office 2007. Is there a recommendation for what I (and probably thousands of others) can do to access our BCM data. [I have a customer meeting in 3 hours and pull up the notes and history or even the address!!!!). Thank you.

S

Sue Mosher - Outlook MVP

I agree that there should have been a warning. The only way for you to access your BCM data today is to remove Outlook 2010 and reinstall Outlook 2007 and BCM 2007.

In other threads, Microsoft has posted this statement about possible BCM availability in the future:

We recognize that with the launch of Office 2010 we"ve limited the number of suites in which Outlook with Business Contact Manager is available. We are currently working on a solution to be available shortly. Please watch this space for more updates. We would also contact you in the near future with our response. We appreciate your patience and co-operation on this.

The best thing you can do to be included in that future solution is to contact Microsoft Support and let them know that you need BCM 2010. You can click the Get Help Now link at the Outlook Solution Center, http://support.microsoft.com/ph/14864.

C

craigj73

Sue - thank you for your comments. I followed your advise to contact Microsoft via Get Help Now. After logging in and preparing my comment/question I was taken to a screen asking for credit card information. Microsoft was going to charge me to inquire about the BCM release date! Do you know of any other routes into Microsoft?

S

Sue Mosher - Outlook MVP

Sandy, I suggest that you call rather than use the online facility. Tell them that you have lost data because BCM wasn't in the upgrade. (Data loss generally is considered a very serious issue.) If you have any problems getting through or they want to charge you for the call, post back here, and I'll see what I can find out.

C

craigj73

Sue - Thanks again for your interest. So, I called the Outlook Solutions Center. It was a lengthy conversation with the conclusion that no one there knows what is going on with BCM. The agent directed me to the product page on microsoft.com and tried to convince me that BCM is not shown to be included. I showed her that when the selection filter for " Manage Business Contacts" is selected that office Professional 2010 comes up (http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/office/category/212). Ultimately I was transferred to the Microsoft Store. There I was told that that group just learned in the past few days that a standalone version of Outlook with BCM will be available in a week or two. She had no knowledge if Outlook Professional 2010 would have a BCM feature available in the future.

This seems so out of character for Microsoft to leave many of us stranded like this.

W

websitesolutions

This solution is worthless to me in my business since I have all my client files stored on Business Contact Manager 2007. Only after upgrading to Office Professional 2010 did I realize that BCM was not included. My only saving grace is that I have a second computer with identical setup. But this really stunts my business.

S

Sue Mosher - Outlook MVP

Have you tried the Upgrade Now process on the Technology Guarantee site? That's the first step to getting the upgrade. I don't have a qualifying version of Outlook 2007 so I can't try it, but I am asking about the status.

I did get confirmation that the BCM 2010 download is available on the Technology Guarantee site.

S

Sue Mosher - Outlook MVP

This solution is worthless to me in my business since I have all my client files stored on Business Contact Manager 2007. Only after upgrading to Office Professional 2010 did I realize that BCM was not included. My only saving grace is that I have a second computer with identical setup. But this really stunts my business.

websitesolutions, to keep using your BCM 2007 data, you can remove Outlook 2010 and reinstall Outlook 2007 and BCM 2007.

You should also call Microsoft Support, tell them you had BCM 2007, have purchased Office Pro 2010, and need access to your BCM data. They should not charge you for the call (and if they try to, be insistent and let us know here). The more people call in, the easier it will be for Microsoft to see how big this problem is and act quickly on it with the kind of solution mentioned above by Maxwell Joseph and craigj73 -- one that will let you upgrade your BCM data to BCM 2010.

J

Jim Lewis

Tried to visit Microsoft Support to let them know I'd like to purchase Office Professional 2010 as a single user if it includes BCM 2010. However, the trouble with letting them know is that if you haven't yet purchased the product, they screen you out and redirect you to the community forums (like here).

So I will keep the link to this forum handy, hoping that BCM 2010 is available as a free add-in to those who want to use it with Office Professional 2010 but are just single users.

Jim Lewis

S

Sue Mosher - Outlook MVP

Jim, thanks for trying. What I learned from my Microsoft contact is that the most effective approach is to call, not use the online support option. There isn't a solution yet, but it will be posted here when there is.

B

BDMI

I have the exact same issue after upgrading BCM 2007 to 2010. Where is the fix?

S

Sue Mosher - Outlook MVP

I have the exact same issue after upgrading BCM 2007 to 2010. Where is the fix?BDMI, this thread is about cases where the user could not upgrade to BCM 2010, because it wasn't included in their Office suite. If that's your " exact same issue," the fix is posted in the response marked as an answer -- keep using Outlook 2007 with BCM 2007 until Microsoft provides a solution for existing BCM 2007 users who want to upgrade without buying a volume license. If, on the other hand, you actually have BCM 2010, then you should start a new thread with symptoms of whatever problem you're having with it.

B

Boston Harbor

Sue, I have to tell you, this is " report to the Attorney General" stuff.

I just went back and read every single word of what I received from Dell in the Dell/Microsoft page and the links they linked to on the Microsoft side. (I bought a new computer with an upgrade guarantee within the given time frame of Microsoft :

Microsoft technology guarantee: http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/

Upgrade FAQ:http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-faq-HA101845577.aspxhttp://link-url.com/N58http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-faq-HA101845577.aspx

Under " upgrade FAQ" is says CLEARLYCustomers who have an Office 2007 suite that includes Outlook with Business Contact Managerwill be able to download Business Contact Manager 2010 separately at no additional cost.

It does not say " you stupid suckers, you can upgrade and lose ALL your business contacts because we have NO IDEA when BCM will be available for idiots who paid over $300 for the upgrade. You are stupid and we are only going to deal with our " volume" customers. We actually HAVE BCM, but you are nothing to us so just downgrade and stop complaining. You are lucky we exist and, he he...suckers.... LOL"

NO, it says: WILL be available. As in When the " upgrade is available"

I'm from Massachusetts. Our attorney general loves this stuff.

BTW, I am serious. I downloaded and installed this " upgrade" (what a joke of a phrase) and was sure I just needed to modify something when I got the error message others have also received. I was as stunned as everyone else that is was actually a DOWNGRADE that we had to pay for.

I am seriously stunned. You've turned into Thunderbird. The ONLY reason I use Microsoft is for BCM. Everything else is a commodity.

S

Sue Mosher - Outlook MVP

BH, I'm as baffled as you are, because there's nothing in the TG information to exclude OEM editions of Office from being qualifying products. Exactly what software did you get from Dell on your new computer?

FWIW, when someone with a qualifying product upgrades through TG, they should see 2 downloads, one for the Office suite and one for BCM.

B

Boston Harbor

BH, I'm as baffled as you are, because there's nothing in the TG information to exclude OEM editions of Office from being qualifying products. Exactly what software did you get from Dell on your new computer?

FWIW, when someone with a qualifying product upgrades through TG, they should see 2 downloads, one for the Office suite and one for BCM.

Sorry for the rant Sue, but I now have to uninstall 2010, reinstall 2007 and half my day is already wasted. I bought a new computer from dell in April. I had Office Professional with BCM installed on the computer and they sent me the disks. I made sure that the Office Suite was upgradable to 2010 before I bought the computer.

I only upgraded to 2010 last night and saw the error when I tried to open BCM. I left the office figuring I would get it straightened out in the morning. I put the error message I was getting into Google and saw the flood of exact stunned surprised by other business folks who " upgraded" . I did not see BCM anywhere when I downloaded the software.

I'm a bit stuck. If I can get the standalone, that would be the best alternative, however, I can't be without the information in my BCM for long.

What a stupid move on Microsoft's part. And, they want to charge $499 for it? Wow. Hubris.

Status
Not open for further replies.