Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

byrtsa

My Microsoft Office Outlook had been working fine, but now it won't open and I get the following message, which I have tried to follow without success. I am using Windows Vista 64bit

"Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened . Errors have been detected in the file C:\Users\mum & dad\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst. Quit Outlook and all mail-enabled applications, and then use the Inbox repair tool (Scanpst.exe) to diagnose and repair the errors in the file. For more information about the Inbox repair tool, see Help."

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange

One cause of this error is a corrupt navigation pane, the fix is to Open outlook with the /resetnavpane switch:

Close Outlook. At the Start search field on Vista or Windows7 Start menu or in the Start menu, Run command (Windows key + R), type

outlook.exe /resetnavpane

Then press Enter (or OK button) to restart Outlook.

Note: Make sure there is a space between the words.

For more information, see http://www.slipstick.com/problems/cant_start_outlook.asp

Y

Yaggi

I cannot find the scanpst.exe I followed the direction and it is not there

Where can I download it?

R

Russ Valentine

Tell us where you got stuck. The file is installed with Outlook and its location is specified in the article I posted. Tell us where you looked and what you found there.Russ Valentine

Z

ZQMA Leonard Swanston of SDI9-EDDI8

Dear Ms. Diane Poremsky, MVP, Moderator:
Ma'am, I have been trying to fix the "Cannot start ... open Window" error message for my MS Office Professional Ultimate 2007/ Outlook 2007 w/Business Contact Manager for about two (2) weeks now, from the Microsoft Support {my Product ID has expired}, through to "Fix it for me > to Fix it myself. I've added the DWord registry change, downloaded support advice and directives and NOTHING helped.
Finally when I sought more MS help, I finally got to the "Microsoft Answers" page where I found your solution. I entered it first "e / r" spaces, then "e/r" no spaces, then finally "e /r" and > ok. Then started Outlook again then 'Waa-Laa' it opened. I thank you very very much. I would hope that I could attain the Microsoft knowledge that you have, Diane. My son is a Certified MS/Novell engineer/CISCO Router Certified, etc., but even he could not help me.
I am indebted to you, greatly, Ms. Posemsky. Truly.

Efficiently, Sincerely and in Truth,

Mr. ZQMA Leonard Swanston, Cell: 704.258.2608\Rocky Mount, NC 27803 Home: 252.442.2831\Email:LSwanston9@yahoo.com & Lswanston9@hotmail.com

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange

Thank you for your kind words Mr. Swanston.

Also, please don't include your personal information in these (or other online) forums - you never know who might be lurking here. While it is fairly easy to find the same information in google, at least they have to do a little work to get it. :)

I

Ishtiaq A Khan

I am really thankful to you in getting my outlook 2007 back on working with such a small command for windows vista...Run and then outlook.exe /resetnavpane...thnx

J

Jerry Ahern

Good evening, I tried your solution and I got the same message"cannot start Microsoft office

Status
Not open for further replies.