Outlook: Right-click context menu for all Contacts is missing the option to 'send a new message to contact'

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

r0b2021

See subject line.

Right-click context menu for all Contacts is missing the option to 'send a new message to contact'

Outlook 2003. Exchange 2003 enviroment.

Tried detect and repair and even a repair/reinstall using the CD.

Also tried to do a outlook /resetnavpane (might have it wrong hear as I did it a short bit ago and working from memory now.

None of those resolved the issue.

R

Russ Valentine

The context menu for more than one Contact has never contained that option. It only exists in the context menu for a single contact. You use the Actions menu when you select more than one Contact.Russ Valentine

R

Russ Valentine

Any more information you'd like to provide?Russ Valentine

R

r0b2021

Um no. That is why I am asking here. I've tried what I can think of which I listed above.

Please read what I wrote again and let me know if anyone has a suggestion to try.

I am hoping to get better results. So far this is the second question I've asked in this forum and the first I received no actual help and solved it myself.

This is going the same way.

Please suggest a course of action instead of picking apart what I write.

I am am IT Tech and certified so if we could skip over the part where you think I don't know the situation and get to the part where we try things to resolve it that would be great.

Thanks.

R

Russ Valentine

Sorry. I'm not picking apart what you write. I'm just waiting until you provided all the information that you actually have correctly. It kept changing, you know and I have no idea what else might have been missing.

If you're sure that's the only thing missing from your context menus, check the addressing service to see if it is intact and functioning correctly in this profile. If it appears to be, remove it, restart Outlook and add it back.

Have you checked with your Exchange administrator ir is that you?

Russ Valentine

R

r0b2021

Russ,

Sorry we started off on the wrong foot.

I am not an Exchange Admin and we don't have someone immediately onhand that is (Another office does have one if I need to ask things).

When I checked in AD and looked at the Exchange Features tab I didn't see anything for addressing. I also didn't see anything elsewhere in the properties that seemed related.

Please instruct me on how to check what you want if you can.

Also I will validate that it is a local client issue by creating another profile in Outlook and seeing if it occurs then as well.

Thanks for all the help.

Sorry I wasn't faster in responding but it is a holiday time here so...LOL

Thanks again.

R

r0b2021

Russ,

While testing to see if it was a Outlook profile issue I found I couldn't create a new Profile and got the item missing or deleted error when I tried to make the new Profile.

I have corrected this issue in the past by deleting the msmapisvc.inf files in:C:\Windows\System32, and in C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033

After I did that the mail to contact worked for my new Profile and then when I tested the User's Profile it worked properly now.

Just so you know for future reference.

Also I was lost on the Outlook Address book because I haven't used those settings since Outlook 2000 mostly...LOL

A little dated and no longer needed if you are using the Contacts imo.

Anyways thatnks again!

R

Russ Valentine

It is not usually necessary to delete msmapisvc.inf files. Renaming mapi32.dll and then repairing the Office installation is the recommended way to fix this now.

Also, whether you use the Outlook Address Book view or not was not the issue. You must still install and enable the service because the "Send to..." command uses the mapi transport.

Russ Valentine

Status
Not open for further replies.