Converting Outlook Express mail to be read on a windows 7 computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rould

I recently bought a new computer with Window7. I am currently using windows live. However, I was able to access my old outlook express mail folders where I had stored old mail. How can I transfer these old mail folders to my new computer so that I can still read my old mail?

B

Bruce Hagen [MVP]

Assuming it was a POP3 account:

For messages:

Copy the *ENTIRE* OE message store folder to a flash drive. (Folders.dbx must be included). Place this on the Desktop or other location on the machine using WLMail. Open WLMail and: File | Import | Messages | Microsoft Outlook Express 6 and point to where you saved it.

For Addresses:

Open the Address Book in OE and File | Export | Address Book (wab) and save it to the Desktop. Copy to a flash drive. Place this on the Desktop or other location on the machine using WLMail.

Open the Contacts list in WLMail, (Go | Contacts on the Menu Bar), and File | Import | Windows Address Book (wab) and point to where you saved it.

Note: If you use a CD or DVD instead of a flash drive, after placing on the new machine you must remove the Read Only attribute in Properties before you import.

Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail]

R

Rould

Thanks Bruce, I really appreciate your response. However, I still can't accomplish this should be simple task. It is easy to copy the entire OE folder and place it on the new computer desktop. However, interacting with WLMail is not so easy for me. Where is File ; Import ; Messages? I have literally looked everywhere and clicked everything. The only place that I find import is Contact List ; Manage. This allows the importation of contacts but not messages. Since we use hotmail, Windows live automatically goes to Windows live Hotmail. Is this causing me a problem? Should I make up another WL account specifically for this importation purpose.

B

Bruce Hagen [MVP]

You are probably missing the Menu Bar. In WLMail: Click in the Menus button to the left of the Help button and enable the Menu Bar.

This look better now? Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail]

G

gdwwdvdpd

I'm having similar difficulties. I cannot find the Menu button to the left of the Help button on any menu bar. Another person with a similar solution suggested clicking on an icon between the Help button and a "brush" button. I find neither.

I have Windows (7) live Hotmail and am trying to import my Outlook Express folders (with saved messages) from an external drive which is the hard drive removed from a laptop. Please help.

B

Bruce Hagen [MVP]

Windows Live Hotmail is not the same. I suggest you start your own new thread rather than wait for someone whit Hotmail experience to see it buried in this month old thread. Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail]

Status
Not open for further replies.