Copying emails in Outlook to a CD

• Thread starter mvmfh
  • Start date Views 839
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mvmfh

I want to copy emails downloaded from Hotmail and currently saved in Outlook 2003 to a CD. What is the process? Thanks

Brian Tillman

Are you using the Outlook Connector to access Hotmail or are you using POP? If the former, create a new PST (File>New>Outlook Data File) and copy the data you want to save to that PST. If you're using POP, then the data already is in a PST. Close Outlook and burn the PST (either the one you created or the one that holds your default folders) to a CD.

M

mvmfh

Hi Brian. I'm sorry, but I don't understand. I use Outlook Connector. I'm uncertain how to copy the specific data and move it to the .pst. Unfortunately, I'm not very savvy. Could I create a specific folder in Outlook for the emails I want to burn to CD, export the .pst file, save it to my desktop and "send to" the CD? How will I be able to read the emails on the CD?

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Hi Brian. I'm sorry, but I don't understand. I use Outlook Connector. I'm uncertain how to copy the specific data and move it to the .pst. Unfortunately, I'm not very savvy. Could I create a specific folder in Outlook for the emails I want to burn to CD, export the .pst file, save it to my desktop and "send to" the CD? How will I be able to read the emails on the CD?

You can't read a pst from a CD - it needs read/write access. (If you use a rewritable cd and leave it open, you can.)

Unless you plan to run autoarchive, use File, Export to export the contents of the Connector account to a pst. It will be a lot easier for you. Otherwise, add a new pst to Outlook (File, New, Outlook Data File), then drag folders or messages to the newly added pst.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange

As you are using an MAPI account in Outlook try backing the data as a PST file.

Check if the following article which will help you in backing the Outlook data:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287070

As an FYI, I didn't see where that article covers Outlook Hotmail Connector accounts. The connector creates ost or nst files and they can't be opened outside the profile, so copying is out. (Rumor is the connector also makes pst files, but I've not seen one lately. The last one I had with a connector account (years ago) could be opened in outlook like a normal pst.)

M

mvmfh

Thanks Diane. If I save the particlular email file to its own folder and export the file as a .pst through Outlook to my desktop, I assume I could save that file to a CD. If I needed to open it, I should be able to "import" the .pst file back into Outlook and read the emails, right? It doesn't sound like I will be able to "read" the emails from the disk.

Brian Tillman

Create a new PST with File>New>Outlook Data File. Browse to an easily accessible folder like My Documents so that when finished, you can easily find the file again. Give it an identifiable file name like "Hotmail Copy" or something else with meaning. Now, select each of your Hotmail folders, then click Edit>Copy to Folder. Select as the destination the root of the PST you've created. When the copying is complete, just to make sure, open each of the folder copies and make sure the items in them were copied properly. Now close Outlook.

Browse to the folder where you created the PST. Assuming that your CD drive is also a burner, open your CD drive and insert a blank CD. Let the Autoplay wizard initialize it for receiving files. Now drag the PST you created to the drive and allow the burn to complete. Eject the CD and you now have a copy of the Hotmail data for safekeeping.

To read the data again in the future, insert the CD, allow the Autoplay wizard to open the CD for browsing. Open My Computer as well and browse to a folder that's convenient. Copy the PST on the CD to that folder. Now start Outlook and click File>Open>Outlook Data File. Browse to the PST you copied from the CD, select it, and click OK. You'll now have access to the folders you saved originally.

Brian Tillman

If you wish to be able to read them from disk without using Outlook, you'll have to save them in a non-Outlook format, such as Text or HTML. You'll lose some of the content that way, like attachments and the sender addresses.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Thanks Diane. If I save the particlular email file to its own folder and export the file as a .pst through Outlook to my desktop, I assume I could save that file to a CD. If I needed to open it, I should be able to "import" the .pst file back into Outlook and read the emails, right? It doesn't sound like I will be able to "read" the emails from the disk.

Yes... you can do that but no need to import it back into outlook- copy it to the hard drive and open it in Outlook using File, Open, Outlook Data file.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
If you wish to be able to read them from disk without using Outlook, you'll have to save them in a non-Outlook format, such as Text or HTML. You'll lose some of the content that way, like attachments and the sender addresses.

If this is a one time thing, I'd install the 30 day trial for Acrobat Pro and save as PDF packages. It makes a really nice PDF file that's searchable.

Other options are listed here: http://www.slipstick.com/mail1/savefs.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.