PST FILES. CAN I REMOVE THEM FROM MY COMPUTER? THEY ARE TAKING UP A LOT OF ROOM, INCLUDING FRAGMENTED FILES.

• Thread starter fortmorganmom
  • Start date Views 653
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fortmorganmom

I have deleted the accounts in Outlook, but the PST files remain. I want to remove them to give myself more free space.

G

GordonBP

Pst files contain all your emails, calendar, tasks and contacts to be used in Outlook. You can of course delete them, but then you will have lost all thgat data.

Are you saying that these files are SO large that they consume vast amounts of disk space, or are you really saying "my HDD is too small so maybe I should get a new one"? Most people's pst files are in the order of several hundred MB only.

If you find my response helpful, please click on the "Vote as Helpful" button!Thank you! My Blog

F

fortmorganmom

Thank you for the information you have provided. There's another question I have about this matter. I intend not to use Outlook again, and the e-mail in Outlook is the same e-mail I see in Live Mail. If I remove the PST and OST files, will that affect Live Mail, Hotmail, or MSN mail in any way? I used to be very satisfied with my MSN email. Ever since they have directed me to Live Mail, my MSN mail isn't working correctly, and my Outlook and Outlook Express are full of fragmented files. This is a list of some of the files that were categorized as "files that cannot be defragmented" one of the last times I defragged. You can see how much of this is OST files from Outlook. Can I remove these files without interfering with MSN email? Thanks for any advice you can provide.

2,314 1.15 GB \Documents and Settings\account\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{382F8107-695E-4C5B-AFEC-2E07672ADE22}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\Inbox.dbx
17,954 1.28 GB \Documents and Settings\account\My Documents\Misc Files from named Computer\MSN_Mail.msnbak
851 1.28 GB \Documents and Settings\account\Misc Files from named Computer\MSN_Mail.msnbak
609 1.39 GB \Documents and Settings\account\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\name_msn3.ost
235 1.43 GB \Documents and Settings\account\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\name_msn0.ost
465 1.53 GB \Documents and Settings\name\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\name_msn0.ost
314 1.67 GB \Documents and Settings\account\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\name_msn.ost
2,725 1.85 GB \Documents and Settings\account\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\name_msn.ost
360 2.00 GB \Documents and Settings\name\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{382F8107-695E-4C5B-AFEC-2E07672ADE22}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\Inbox.dbx

V

Vinay - G

Well if you were using MSN account earlier then it must have been configured using outlook connector, which sets your account in MAPI format which will only create a offline storage folder (OST). OST files are just like a mirror image of your webmail it will have the messages both on MSN server and outlook. You can simply delete the OST files as they wouldn"t delete or modify mails in MSN.

NOTE: - You can always take a backup of the OST files in an external hard disk or a CD.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange

17,954 1.28 GB \Documents and Settings\account\My Documents\Misc Files from named Computer\MSN_Mail.msnbak
851 1.28 GB \Documents and Settings\account\Misc Files from named Computer\MSN_Mail.msnbak
609 1.39 GB \Documents and Settings\account\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\name_msn3.ost
235 1.43 GB \Documents and Settings\account\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\name_msn0.ost
465 1.53 GB \Documents and Settings\name\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\name_msn0.ost
314 1.67 GB \Documents and Settings\account\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\name_msn.ost
2,725 1.85 GB \Documents and Settings\account\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\name_msn.ost

Yes, you can delete the msn ost files in the Outlook folder. Even if you decide to go back to using Outlook & the connector, it will make a new ost file - that's why you have *msn, *.msdn0, *msn3 (the 3 in bold). For this reason, its also pointless to make a backup copy. i'm not sure why you have the two in the roaming folders though - they should only be in the local settings folder.

The two msnbak files are useless too, if they are backups of ost files.

Status
Not open for further replies.