Cannot open Outlook 2007 - not detecting connection

• Thread starter buzzbuzz
  • Start date Views 1,626
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

buzzbuzz

I am running Office 2007 on Windows 7 using VMware Fusion 3.0.2.

The only application I am having trouble with is Outlook 2007. When I open the program I get the message " The connection to Microsoft exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action" . Other programs can access internet.

It then goes to the Microsoft Exchange window, when I put in the ME server and Mailbox name and search I get the message " The name cannot be resolved. The connection to Miscosoft Exchange in unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action" .

Again I have a connection and can web browse.

The final message after closing those windows is " Cannot open your default e-mail folders. The file C:\Users\.........\outlook.ost is not an offline folder file.

When I click OK the program shuts completely.

Any ideas?

thanks

G

GordonBP

That's a very ODD way of doing it if you don't mind me saying so - most organisations use VPN to allow their off-site users to connect - why a Virtual Machine? If you find my response helpful, please click on the " Vote as Helpful" button!Thank you! My Blog

B

buzzbuzz

Those links are good but not much help as I cannot even get to the Tools menu as discussed in step 2 at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287532

I am trying to setup both POP accounts and an exchange account. I am quite happy with the process of account setup in Outlook but my issue is that I cant outlook at all or rather the first time I did and tried to set up the exchange account that seems to have done something odd and i cant even set up the POP acocounts.

I have added the correct IP to C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts as instructed by my administrator but that has not had any real impact.

Outlook still does not realise it has a network connection.

S

script this

Hey Buzzbuzz,

I am having the same problem exactly. Did you figure out what the issue was? I have tried switching from NAT to Bridged, and back again. Reinstalling everything, doing updates and trying again - I've gone through this about 4 times now and am baffled. I've compared notes with my mac mail set up, my iphone set up and my linux box. I am at a complete loss.

Would be very appreciative if you could share your solution or, if you didn't get it to work, what you did try.

Thanks,

Script.

M

Mg0mez

I too am having the same problem, only mine comes after trying to close the logon window. I recently upgraded to Win 7 and had to re-install Outlook.

I'm trying to connect to an exchange server. I have the right server address and also have " connect to exchange using http" selected. When Outlook opens it displays the user login window; but when I type in my password it continuously pops right back up wanting me to re-eneter my password over and over again. Then when I close out of the login window is when I get the message the OP was getting. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

S

script this

just fyi, i reinstalled outlook and opted, when running it for the first time, to NOT set up an email account. i then went into the control panel and tried setting it up there manually. no luck. so i tried just for kicks to see if it worked auto detecting the exchange server. i cannot tell you why, but this time, it found the exchange server and set everything up just fine automatically.

if you haven't yet, i hope you are able to get this to work, and maybe this solution will help.

the two things that i think mattered in my case were using bridged and not nat network set up and configuring the email set up from control panel and NOT from outlook.

good luck!

C

Coleasice

Hi,

I thnk I'm having the same problem. (Error messages are below) I installed 2007 Office, but did not cofigure Outlook > then I uninstalled 2007, and installed 2010 beta. I wanted to configure Oultlook to manage my SQL data stream, and manage influx communication, but see error messges below. I tried to reset the profile, re-install, and run a script to the default ost file path, which obvioously did not work. Tried the technet solutions, and the troubleshooter book onlline, but not solved.

System info:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600

Other OS Description Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name SHADOW3

System Manufacturer Dell Inc.

System Model OptiPlex 330

System Type X86-based PC

Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00GHz, 2000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A06, 8/31/2008

SMBIOS Version 2.5

Windows Directory C:\Windows

System Directory C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = " 6.1.7600.16385"

Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB

Total Physical Memory 1.99 GB

Available Physical Memory 856 MB

Total Virtual Memory 3.98 GB

Available Virtual Memory 2.56 GB

Page File Space 1.99 GB

06/14/2010

The profile "Outlook" was created with a newer version of Outlook and might contain information that is not compatible with your current version. If you experience problem with this profile, you can create a new profile. In windows Control Panel, open Mail, then click Show Profile, and then click add.
06/15/2010

Can not start Microsoft Office Outlook. Can not open the Oultlook window. The set of folders can not be opened. The file C:Users\MDCSQL\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\coleasicec1_@hotmail.ost can not be accessed. You must connect to Microsoft Exchange at least once before you can use your offline folder file.

Black Shadow

C

Coleasice

Script This,

Thank you for all of the help, as the auto detect was the key

Coleasicec

T

Tech Tiger

Outlook.ost might have been damaged. Use scanost.exe to to repair the OST. After repairing the file, refresh Outlook and see if the problem gets resolved. If the problem still sustain then use repair OST tool for repairing and converting OST to PST.http://www.repairostfile.com/

S

Smith12

I followed Black Shadow's idea to the profiles page, and then checked the " prompt for a profile to be used" button. This allowed me to set up an account at the outlook 2007 splash page with no email addresses; thus permitting me to delete the one that created the EXACT same problem mentioned above.

Status
Not open for further replies.