• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Outlook messages aren't indexing in Search; "Index messages in these data files" is blank

J

jakehansen

In Outlook 2007, none of my messages from either of my two email accounts (one Exchange, one IMAP) is included in Outlook or Windows search results.

When I choose Tools -> Instant Search -> Search Options, the " Index messages in these data files:" area is blank.

Note that the problem occurred around the time I installed Office 2010 beta; however, Outlook 2010 messages are *also* not included in the search index.

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Click Start and type Windows Search in the search box on the start menu. One of the results that appears should be " Find and Fix Problems with Windows Search" . Run thru that wizard and see if it fixes the problem.

E

Ezil Vinoth

There seems to be some issues with indexing in Outlook 2010.
Since you were using Outlook 2010 earlier, you can try the steps mentioned below and see if it helps.

Registry Disclaimer

Modifying REGISTRY settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of REGISTRY settings can be solved. Modifications of these settings are at your own risk.

For more information about how to back up and restore the registry:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

1) Press the Windows Key + R on your keyboard, and type REGEDIT. This will open the Windows Registry Editor.

2) Browse to the following: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search

3) You will manually have to reset the value of PreventIndexingOutlook to 0 (without the quotes). To do this, right click on the PreventIndexingOutlook key, select Modify, then change the value data to “0”.

4) Close the registry editor.

Check the link for more information:

http://blogs.msdn.com/outlook/archive/2009/06/17/google-apps-sync-disables-outlook-search.aspx

Ezil Vinoth S, Microsoft Answers Support Engineer.
• We appreciate your participation in MS Forums, Help us understand your needs better. To share your valuable Feedback please Click here.

J

jakehansen

I tried the registry modification noted above, but could not complete it because the following path does not exist:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search

The issue is that the last folder in the path does not exist. The closest that exists is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\ but there is no Windows Search anywhere to be found. Can you advise?

J

jakehansen

Yes, thank you - that wizard didn't find any problems.

What else could it be?

Thank you!

J

jakehansen

I still currently have BOTH outlook 2007+2010 installed. I haven't figured out which to uninstall yet as i worry about the peril of being email disabled if I make the wrong move.

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Well, I can't say for sure that's what's causing this issue - but having them both installed side-by-side is known to cause problems. I'm not sure we're going to get this one fixed until you've pared down to just one of them.

J

jakehansen

Any idea how I can remove Outlook 2010 without also removing OneNote 2010? I need to keep OneNote 2010.

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Any idea how I can remove Outlook 2010 without also removing OneNote 2010? I need to keep OneNote 2010.

When you do the installer (Control Panel | Programs...) click " Change" which should let you uninstall just the pieces you want to. Really you only need to uninstall Outlook - you can leave the rest of the suite.

J

jakehansen

The Office 2010 uninstaller doesn't offer Change. Only Uninstall or Repair. So frustrating.

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Sorry, didn't mean to propose it as an answer (accidental click)

Weird, the 2010 installer works fine with " Change" on my Windows 7 system. Are you using Professional Plus or Home & Business Edition of Office 2010?

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

I'm using Home & Business 2010.

Ah, no wonder. Diane's right (as usual) the Click to Run version is a different animal that way.

J

jakehansen

What should I do to get this fixed?

I read the registry key someone noted above, but that registry path doesn't exist.

I tried to deinstall outlook 2010 using the Change button, but it can't selectively deinstall one application.

Now I've deinstalled office 2010 completely; and reinstalled it from scratch. I've now run Outlook 2010 again, and it's still not working.

What's next?

THank you!