Windows 7 installed - now Outlook can't open Word docs

• Thread starter Beach Girl 99
  • Start date Views 1,995
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Beach Girl 99

Hello,
We installed Windows 7 on my laptop which had Windows Vista on it previously. I received an email with a Word document attached through Microsoft Outlook 2003. When I double click on the document, I get an error " An error occurred sending the command to the application" . This is after the User Control Setting on my computer gives me this error when Word wants to open. " Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to your computer?" Program name: winword.exe
I have no idea what has happened as all of this was working fine before I did the upgrade. I have tried numerous ideas that I found online and nothing appears to work.
Any ideas? Should I try and uninstall and reinstall Microsoft Word? Excel, PDF files open as attachments with no problem.
TIA.

N

Niranjan I K

Which version of Microsoft Office is installed on your computer?

Are you able to open other Microsoft Word documents saved on your computer?

Which email application do you use to open attachments on your computer?

S

Somasundaram Pandiaraj

This issue could occur if the temporary folder that holds the temporary files for outlook is full.

Try the steps below:

1) Close Outlook

2) Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > Run

3) Type in "C:\users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files" and click OK

4) Delete all the files in this location

Hope this helps!

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Hello,
We installed Windows 7 on my laptop which had Windows Vista on it previously. I received an email with a Word document attached through Microsoft Outlook 2003. When I double click on the document, I get an error " An error occurred sending the command to the application" . This is after the User Control Setting on my computer gives me this error when Word wants to open. " Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to your computer?" Program name: winword.exe
I have no idea what has happened as all of this was working fine before I did the upgrade. I have tried numerous ideas that I found online and nothing appears to work.
Any ideas? Should I try and uninstall and reinstall Microsoft Word? Excel, PDF files open as attachments with no problem.
TIA. Does this happen even if you start Word in Safe Mode? (hold down CTRL while you click the icon) See if this helps: http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook/tsol.htm#safe

Status
Not open for further replies.