Windows 7/Outlook 2007 performance problem

• Thread starter severnc6
  • Start date Views 664
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

severnc6

I have a four-month old HP Pavilion DV6 laptop with 4GB of RAM, running Windows 7 Home Premium. It was initially a wonderfully fast machine, but I have had two serious outbreaks of problems.

In both cases, I first noticed problems in Outlook 2007, which I use to access a hotmail account via the Outlook Connector.

The problems begin with Outlook taking forever to download my email, and sometimes returning a series of blank email messages with no content.

The first time this happened, on advice of Microsoft support, I tried to uninstall and reinstall Office 2007. It uninstalled, but would not reinstall. After hours on the line with tech support, the eventual verdict was that my .NET files had been corrupted. Microsoft and HP technical support both failed to find a solution, other than completely reinstalling Windows 7 and reloading all my programs and data – which I eventually did.

Microsoft technical support suggested that the problem may have been triggered a very large Outlook.pst file, then more than 6GB. So I archived it into several separate files. The working file is now less than 0.6 GB, my two archived files each around 3 - 4 GB.

The problem with Outlook has now returned, intermittently, and the performance of my machine has plummeted to a point at which I am barely able to work. Programs keep hanging in “Not responding” mode, simple Excel spreadsheets or Explorer windows can take 15-20 seconds to load, web browsing has become intermittently glacial, and three times yesterday I had a blue screen failure while working on an Excel spreadsheet.

I have uninstalled recently installed software, switched off services running in the background, cleansed programs from my startup menu, and nothing seems to help.

Does anyone have an answer other than “Buy a Mac”? I simply cannot continue working with a system that needs a complete reinstall of its operating system and data every month or so.

Thanks.

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Do you have these problems even when Outlook isn't running?

Have you tried, as a test, shutting off McAfee Antivirus? Is your Windows 7 version 32-bit or 64-bit?

Have you tried running SCANDISK on your machine and having it look for surface errors?

S

severnc6

Thanks. Once my problems begin in Outlook, they persist even if I try to shut it down. However, I don't think the program is shutting down correctly once it starts to misbehave.

My Windows 7 is 64 bit. I also have Outlook SP2 installed.

I will try the other things you suggest, but for further information, below is an example of the technical details from a blue screen error message. These seem to occur when working in another Office 2007 application, after initial issues with Outlook (so far it's happened while working in Excel, Word, and Access).

Here's an example of the technical details from one blue screen error message.

***STOP: 0x0000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005,0xFFFFF8801FC2D (some text missing from my photo of the screen)

xFFFFF8800F67210)

*** volsnap.sys - Address FFFFF8801FC2DA2 base at FFFF ( again some text missing...)
4a5bc128

Can anyone please help?

S

Somasundaram Pandiaraj

Try starting the computer in Windows safe mode and then check if you"re able to work with the applications. Click on the link below for information on how to start the computer in safe mode.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

If in case you"re able to then try restarting the computer in clean boot mode to check if there"s any non-Microsoft application which is causing a conflict. Click on the link below for information on how to start the computer in clean boot mode.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Ensure to restart the computer in normal mode after troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.