Too many folders in Outlook 2007 with OfficeLive connector

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cbarron

I have 2 email addresses, but in my Outlook Mail folder, it shows a folder for "Personal Folders", which contains folders for all the categories (inbox, junk, etc), and also a folder for each email address it compiles mail for. Near as I can tell, the "Personal Folders" has mail that duplicates one, but not both, of my email addresses. How can I correct that? I'd like to delete one of them, but I'm using the OfficeLive connector, so I'm leery of doing anything without asking.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange

Do you have 2 connector accounts? Each connector account needs to have its own set of folders. IMAP also needs its own folder set.

If you use POP3 for the second account, you can deliver the messsages to the connector account but the messages will be synced with the hotmail account online.

C

Cbarron

I'm not sure what you mean by the terms "connector account" and "IMAP". My two email addresses that Outlook gathers mail for are"name1"@hotmail.com and "name2"@msn.com. Both are POP3 accounts.

In Outlook, my list of folders has 3 "boss folders": The first one is called "Personal Folders", which has all the usual subfolders.

The second folder is called "name1"@hotmail.com, and has all the same subfolders.

The third folder is called "name2"@msn.com , and it also has all the same subfolders.

The subfolders under "Personal Folders" contain the same emails as the second main folder, but they don't sync with each other, so if I accidentally go to the wrong inbox, it doesn't reflect answered emails for the identical folder in the other main folder.

Thanks!

S

Somasundaram Pandiaraj

The first folder "Personal Folders" is the normal outlook data file (.PST) which might have been created when outlook was configured for the first time. The other two folders "name1@hotmail.com" and "name2@msn.com" are the two actual files that were created once the email accounts were configured.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
If you are using POP3 to get your MSN and Hotmail accounts, you can deliver all the mail to the Personal folders. Go to tools, account settings and select the account and change the deliver to location. See screenshot:http://slipstick.me/jing/acct.png. If they do not say POP3 on the right, you can't change the delivery location.

C

Cbarron

I think I may know what you mean. I must have used both the connector and the built-in utility in Outlook to set up email accounts, creating a double on one of my e-addresses. The other one is not yet activated in OfficeLive, so that wasn't an option.

So my problem is really what to do so that I clean that up without losing something in the process. Can I sync accounts in Outlook?

I feel like an idiot, but I bet I'm not the only one with this question....

Thanks again!

S

Somasundaram Pandiaraj

What exactly do you mean by syncing accounts in outlook?

If it"s about the mails in the Personal folders then delete the email account which was not setup using outlook connector. Once done, go to the subfolders under "Personal Folders" and then drag and drop the emails into the hotmail/msn folders. By doing this you"ll able to retain the data on the server.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange

I think I may know what you mean. I must have used both the connector and the built-in utility in Outlook to set up email accounts, creating a double on one of my e-addresses. The other one is not yet activated in OfficeLive, so that wasn't an option.

So my problem is really what to do so that I clean that up without losing something in the process. Can I sync accounts in Outlook?

I feel like an idiot, but I bet I'm not the only one with this question....

Thanks again!

All the different accounts can be confusing. If it says MAPI on the right, they are connector accounts. The connector copies the entire mailbox to your local machine - calendar and contacts included - so your mailbox in Outlook is identical to the one at mail.live.com.

Depending on your needs, you have 2 options:

Remove the connector accounts and create POP3 accounts. This will remove mail from the server (you can set outlook to leave it on the server) and does not copy the online calendar and contacts to your local machine. It will allow you to use 1 local pst.

Set a connector account as default on the Account settings, Data tab and remove the personal folders. You'll have 1 set of folders for each account.

My personal recommendation is to set one hotmail account as default, remove the personal folders and learn to work with 2 sets of folders (one for each account).

C

Cbarron

Thank you very much for all those great answers and suggestions. I have all the advice I need (I think) to solve the problem. I really appreciate you both for taking the time to help me.

Sincerely,

CBarron

Status
Not open for further replies.