messages in the inbox disappear after opening another folder in outlook

• Thread starter Andyy Barr Procuctions
  • Start date Views 770
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andyy Barr Procuctions

Been using Outlook 2007 for several years and Windows 7 Pro for several months. As of yesterday, incoming e-mail disappears from the inbox folder when i open any of the other folders in Outlook. i've used the "Restore" funtion, checked the Outlook settings. I'm stumped, hope someone can help. Thanks.... Ed

Brian Tillman

Best answers

Try opening Outlook once with the /cleanviews command switch. Press WinKey+R, then enter

outlook.exe /cleanviews

(being sure to include the space) in the Open field. Press Enter.

N

Niyamath Khan

Change the view of messages in Outlook. Open Outlook > View > Current View > Select Messages.

Verify if any rules are created in Outlook.

A

Andyy Barr Procuctions

Brian, that worked.... i love you man!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!

A

Andyy Barr Procuctions

Brian...... Well, it worked for a couple of minutes, now Outlook will not open at all. When i closed Outlook and tried starting it again i get this error message >> Cannot open your default e-mail folders. Errors have been detected in the file C:/Users/******/Outlook.pst. << Then it says to go to "Office 12" and use Scanpst.exe to diagnose and repair, but Scanpst says "Outlook.pst does not exist, type in a valid filename". I don't like the idea of un-installing Office 2007 Pro and re-installing, but maybe that's what it will take. What do you think?

I've been searching for about 4 hours to find a solution, but no luck. Any help/ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks, Ed

Diane Poremsky

Best answers
Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange

Brian...... Well, it worked for a couple of minutes, now Outlook will not open at all. When i closed Outlook and tried starting it again i get this error message >> Cannot open your default e-mail folders. Errors have been detected in the file C:/Users/******/Outlook.pst. << Then it says to go to "Office 12" and use Scanpst.exe to diagnose and repair, but Scanpst says "Outlook.pst does not exist, type in a valid filename". I don't like the idea of un-installing Office 2007 Pro and re-installing, but maybe that's what it will take. What do you think?

I've been searching for about 4 hours to find a solution, but no luck. Any help/ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks, Ed

What type of email account do you use? Are you pointing scanpst to the correct folder location? Instructions are here: http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/scanpst.htm

A

Andyy Barr Procuctions

Diane..... Thank you so much!! I was able to find the pst file and Scanpst corrected the problems.

S

Songbird3820

The EXACT same thing happened to me beginning YESTERDAY - September 22, 2010. Any help would be appreciated!

Diane Poremsky

Best answers
Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
The EXACT same thing happened to me beginning YESTERDAY - September 22, 2010. Any help would be appreciated!
what happened when you tried the solutions suggested in this thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.