0x8004010F 'Outlook data file cannot be accessed'

A

AJBW

Can anyone help ?. I get this message when I try and send mail from Outlook included in Office 2010. I am using Windows 7 on the new laptop and transferred my files using windows 'easy transfer'.

Nothing sends or receives, yet the system on Vista works perfectly (even though I never liked Vista much) . I have looked for two days at various 'fixes' but they all seem to apply to Outlook 2007. I am def not a computer whizz as some of u are , but would appreciate assistance (if anyone can) to make an old guy happy. Windows 7 seemed superb, until I hit this error code......

A

AJBW

I followed your link.Thanks. When I get the repair tool up, it asks me to load in the location of the pst files. Where would i find that ? I have looked everywhere....

The dog even walks funny. Can you illuminate me ?

R

Ruchi Bisht

Outlook 2010 stores the data file in My Documents\Outlook Files\*.pst.

If you are unable to find the file in the above location, you can also check the location C:\Users\< user name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook.

Select .pst file and click start on the Inbox repair Tool.

Note: Enable the hidden files and folders for this, click Start->computer and click on organize tab at the top left->folder and search option->view and select the box show hidden files and folders , uncheck Hide extension for known file types, click Ok.

Ruchi Bisht

A

AJBW

Ruchi,

Thanks for the input. In the 'my documents' file no Outlook File/Folder exists, so I tried to find the App Data file and that doesnt seem to exist either. Followed your instructions to the letter.

I am seriously thinking a taking a large hammer to this programme, my opinion of windows 7 is falling by the minute !

A

AJBW

Hi Ruchi an all,

After much looking and a reboot, I found the app data file and scanned it as detailed above and there were indeed errors in it. It took four scans for the file to come up clean.

But................. I STILL get the send receive error code. Any other suggestions ??

R

Russ Valentine

You cannot use Windows Easy Transfer with Outlook. The profile it creates is corrupt. So while you should repaire your PST file, you should also create a new Outlook profile and use a supported method to connect it to your PST file: Open the PST file in the news profile and then set it as your default.Russ Valentine

A

AJBW

Russ,

Brilliant ....10/10 and a gold star for you. Thankyou very much all is now well.

Also big thanks to Ruchi,Ben, Palcouk............. pat ypourselves on the back. Problem solved.

R

Russ Valentine

Glad it worked out. Thanks for the gold star, though I don't think it will help me much around here :)

I really wish Microsoft would warn users they should not use Windows Easy Transfer with Outlook instead of pretending it works.

Russ Valentine

M

MEKSMK

Hi,

I'm having the same issue. I'm on Windows 7 64bit with Norton 360. But, I did an in place upgrade of Office from 2007 to 2010. Same error and everything. I built this machine in January and used the transfer. But I've been fine with Outlook 2007. Only after the upgrade to 2010 did I start having problems. Is this still related to the transfer process I used way back in January? The interesting thing is if I go through the connection troubleshooter in Outlook 2010 and send a test email, it goes out! I see it when I log into my internet providers little online email program. I've done that 4 times now. My PST is less than 2 GB.

Just stumped.....

Mike K

J

John_McC

I had this error appear after updating to Outlook 2010.

The Test connection worked but Outlook could not access the pop3 mailbox when trying to Send/Receive.

I solved it, eventually, by changing the home folder of the account (previously the Inbox) to the Inbox.

R

RHeerema

This is all so helpful! I'm almost there... I've created a new Outlook profile. I have opened the old PST file in the new profile --- how do I set it as my " default" ? Thanks!

R

RHeerema

BTW, I have 2 old .pst files to integrate, as I have 2 email addresses. How does that complicate matters? thanks.

R

Russ Valentine

How to set your PST file as the default varies with your Outlook version which you have not posted.

Having 2 email accounts does not usually create 2 PST files unless you did so deliberately. If you did, you'd just set one as the default then copy the data you want from the other into your default.

Russ Valentine

R

RHeerema

Thanks for your reply! I have Windows 2007 Pro (64 bit) and MS Office 2010. I did create 2 PST files -- one for work, one for personal backup. I appreciate your help!

R

RHeerema

I forgot to ask the question again: I created a new Outlook 2010 profile. I have opened the old PST files (from Outlook 2003) in the new profile --- how do I set this PST file as my " default" ? Right now, I have 4 inbox folders -- 2 for each email address. I can now send & receive email, yet I can't access my saved email or any calendar or contact information. Thank you for any advice you might offer.

R

Russ Valentine

I need a better idea of what you need or want to do. It is not necessary to have a separate PST file for each mail account and there are disavantages to doing so since only one PST file can be your default. Why did you feel you needed separate PST files?Russ Valentine