Windows 7 Outlook 2007 Slow to Receive

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sanrev

I was running Outlook 2007 on Vista with no problems. My hard drive crashed. I had a new hard drive installed, Windows 7 Professional installed, and the Outlook data file transferred to the new hard drive. I tried Outlook and found receiving was very slow. When I hit the 'send/receive' button, the progress screen pops up and I can see that 'send' executes immediately, but 'receive' takes from 40 to 60 seconds before incoming emails appear. I immediately thought that it might be a firewall issue, however, this problem occurred before and after antivirus software was installed.

R

Roady [MVP]

Have you already applied Service Pack 2 and additional updates for Office 2007?

Also, do you have a virus scanner installed which integrates itself with Outlook? Uninstall this integration part of your virus scanner and try again; you'd still be sufficiently protected by your on-access scanner part of the virus scanner. For more details see;

http://www.msoutlook.info/question/20

Robert Sparnaaij

V

Vinay - G

What is type of account configured (Exchange, POP3, IMAP etc…)?

What happens when you start outlook in safe mode?

To start outlook in safe mode:-

· Click on start->run.

· Type outlook /safe and click ok.

Check if you have any addins connected to outlook under tools->trust center->addins .

Remove all the extra addins.

S

Sanrev

Hi Roady,

I do indeed have Service Pack 2 and all current updates for Office 2007 installed.

I did not have a virus scanner installed when the problem first appeared. Since your response, I disabled Microsoft Security Essentials Real Time Protection. After I rebooted, I tested the Outlook receive and found that it has not changed. It still takes over 30 seconds to process the 'received' portion of the 'send/receive' prompt.

I also checked out www.msoutlook.info but could not find a similar problem to my own.

S

Sanrev

Hi Vinay,

The type of account configured is a Pop/Smtp.

When I start Outlook in safe mode, I get the same slow recieving processing.

I removed all add-ins, except for Mobile Service, Email Indexer, and VBA for Outlook. It would not let me remove the latter three add-ins. When I restarted the computer, I still get the same slow receiving processing.

S

Sanrev

Hi Sachin,

I found the URL most helpful, thank you, however, none of the issues identified in the performance fix has worked yet.

When receiving, the incoming email stalls for about 45 seconds before downloading starts. Once the download starts, it is very fast.

V

Vinay - G

The reason why it is taking time is probably there is an email in your webmail with some bigger attachments or email with some potential data.

However when you click on send/receive outlook firsts connects to the outgoing server sending all the emails in the outbox and the processes the receiving. If you have an email in outbox to be sent will definitely take some time.

S

spaltd

same problem here; none of the fixes adding/removing of add-ins has fixed the problem.

happens independently of email size, though larger messages do take just that much longer to download.

there's something else wrong.

R

RichardMW

I have the same problem.

I think it started after upgrading to Norton Internet Security 2011. But, disabling the Norton add-in in Outlook 2007 did not resolve the problem.

R

RichardMW

I have the same problem.

I think it started after upgrading to Norton Internet Security 2011. But, disabling the Norton add-in in Outlook 2007 did not resolve the problem.

I think that I found an answer from Microsoft. A recent Outlook update causes the problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2485531

After doing the uninstall, Send/Receive started up quickly.

R

Roady [MVP]

I think that I found an answer from Microsoft. A recent Outlook update causes the problem.This is a whole other issue than the OP has since the OP posted this question long before the update. Therefore, I've unproposed your reply as the answer.

Robert Sparnaaij

Status
Not open for further replies.