Can't archive - pst. file is in use and cannot be accessed. close any application that is using file

• Thread starter cr8tivsolutions
  • Start date Views 4,819
C

cr8tivsolutions

No other program is using the pst files, I've tried to close outlook, restart computer and retry but the same message appears everytime. I cannot archive ....help apprecaited !!!

cr8tivsolutions@aol.com

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Check the task manager (CTRL + SHIFT + ESC) and see if Outlook.exe is still running. What kind of " archive" are you trying to accomplish? What program are you using to do it?

Brian Tillman

The PST could be locked by a desktop search program or an antivirus program. After booting your PC, try simply copying your PST to your backup location. Does that work? If you start Outlook in safe mode (hold Ctrl when you click the icon), can you archive then?

C

cr8tivsolutions

Outlook.exe is running as I'm trying to do the archive of the pst folders while in outlook...

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

C

cr8tivsolutions

Yes, That would always be the case (outlook running then outlook trying to archive pst files ) but never had the error message . I"m highlighting my” inbox” go to file, select archive *shows archive box with date to archive back to and path “c:/users/pam/appdata/local/Microsoft/outlook/archive.pst & ok – acts like it starts shows “archiving” in lower right of outlook & then get the window pop up…

ALSO tried to use via auto archive & the same message :
Error while archiving folder " Deleted Items" in store " Personal Folders" . The file C:\Users\pam\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\archive.pst is in use and cannot be accessed. Close any application that is using this file, and then try again. You might need to restart your computer.

Error while archiving folder " Sent Items" in store " Personal Folders" . The file C:\Users\pam\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\archive.pst is in use and cannot be accessed. Close any application that is using this file, and then try again. You might need to restart your computer.

Error while archiving folder " Inbox" in store " Archive Folders" . Cannot read archive properties from folder Inbox. The file C:\Users\pam\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\archive.pst is in use and cannot be accessed. Close any application that is using this file, and then try again. You might need to restart your computer.

Error while archiving folder " Sent Items" in store " Archive Folders" . Cannot read archive properties from folder Sent Items. The file C:\Users\pam\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\archive.pst is in use and cannot be accessed. Close any application that is using this file, and then try again. You might need to restart your computer.

COULD IT be a antivirus setting ?? I have changed to kaspersky from mcaffee…??

C

cr8tivsolutions

Control + icon click does nothing....copy ?? pst to another location?? why ?? try archiving to the new location?

C

cr8tivsolutions

I paused my virus protection, tried to run archive -- same message --

Brian Tillman

When I said " hold Ctrl" when clicking the icon, I mean Outlook's icon right after startiung your PC. You should get a dialogue asking if you want to start Outlook in safe mode. Say " yes" . Then try to achive. Does it work then?

Something else to try. After rebooting your PC and before logging in, Hold Shift as you log in and continue to hold it until your desktop is stable and Windows is ready to use. Holding Shift will prevent the automatic start of many of the apps that normally start when you log in. Then start Outlook (in safe mode) and try to archive. Any difference?

C

cr8tivsolutions

Brian,

Thanks, I tried " Hold shift" as I logged in 2 diff times & it just locks up my windows login (enter my login name, then shift & enter) the little MS Windows spinning circle just freezes

So then I logged in as normal, immediately after loggin in I held ctrl + icon & it just opens as usual

I do have SP2 (ben asked earlier)

Can I simply change the folder that it is trying to save to ?? or must it be the path that it defaults to? (I've never changed)

REALLY appreciate your helping me...

C

cr8tivsolutions

I did try changing the archive file name, (used to same path except called it ...testarchive.pst instead of the default of " archive.pst" ) it started to archive fine..no message so I cancelled the archive...

tried to change archive file name to " pamarchive.pst" and it said archive is already running ... pulled up task manager & this time under application tab, there was a " archive" file showing running ... so I end task.... close outlook, reopen & message says " archive file not closed properly last session" (which makes sense since I ended in task manager)
I reopen outlook to try archive again using the default archive file name -- the error message pops back up .." file is in use and cannot be accessed " ..pull up task manager -- under applications-- no " archive" file shown, see nothing under " processes" either - so I tried again without closing and reopening outlook -- same " file is in use" message

Close outlook, reopen and again change file name to ..pamarchive.pst and its archiving .. I don't get it...I realize somewhere in the system something must be using that archive.pst file but what? where would it show?

IS there any harm in just naming a new file?? DO I lose anything when I'm looking at my archive " in" , " sent" etc?

Again, really appreciate any help

C

cr8tivsolutions

Did SCANPST, found errors, repaired, rescanned, found same errors, opened outlook -- nothing -- Reboot PC - open outlook, " outlook failed to open last session -- open in safemode" -- YES... Datafile Personal folders was not closed properly , checking for errors... in safe mode then OK, closed , reopened and seems fine.......
SO I just moved the old folders from archive.pst to my new pamarchive.pst --- should be OK -- yes??

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Yes, should be. Might want to run SCANPST on the new pamarchive.pst just in case, but hopefully whatever corruption there was got fixed.

Brian Tillman

AFter logging into Windows normally, press the WinKey+R. When the Run dialogue opens, enter

outlook.exe /safe

in the Open field, being sure to include the space in front of /safe. Then press Enter. Outlook will open in safe mode.