Outlook will not open... Says Outlook2.pst is not a personal folder file

• Thread starter vision2k
  • Start date Views 956
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vision2k

Received the following error message about 3 days ago.....

"Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. The file c:\Documents and Settings\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook2.pst is not a personal folder file."

I run XP latest update. Avast! Security System for antivirus etc.

I have did a REPAIR with not luck.

If is very important that I get back online with outlook, it has everything..... It is backed up, at least.

Any and all help appreciated........desperate.

Ronald

Brian Tillman

What changed or happened on your PC between when this worked and now? Did you try to copy or manipulate the PST in any way outside of Outlook?

If you have a recent backup, I'd recommend adding it to your mail profile and making it the default data file.

----------------------------

V

vision2k

Thanks... Brian ......

I have done nothing to the outlook pst files......

question... how do I get to the mail profile???

By the way Restore back 5 days does not help.

Thanks for the help

RJC

Brian Tillman

The mail profile can be adjusted using the Mail applet in Control Panel.

If you can't restore from a backup, then it's likely your only recourse is to purchase an office/pst recovery tool that is better than scanpst.

----------------------------

V

vision2k

Brian

All back in working order, nothing lost. Thanks for you help and patience.

Ronald

L

LakshmiR

Hi Brian, and Ronald

I have the same exact problem right now. I heavily use pst files to move all my incoming emails as they come, into my PSTs. Last week I copied the PST file from my hard disk to a DVD and deleted it from my hard disk as I had to give my computer away for a day. I copied back the PST from the DVD to the hard disk, ensured that the Write access is enabled on the hard disk, and then tried to open the PST file from Outlook. but alas, it reported this very message that the D:\...xx.pst is not a personal folders file".

I have all my super important emails right there, and am unable to get them back from any other source.

I tried recreating a new profile but Outlook would not even let me add this PST as a data file...

I also tried scanpst but even scanpst would not accept this file as an input.

I did absolutely nothing out of the way. I did not try to manipulate the file outside Outlook, nor did I upgrade the Outlook version or install any patch or anything whatsoever.

Can you please help?

Thanks! Lakshmi

S

Shaqatech

Hi Ronald, I have exactly the same scenario. It will be great if you could list how you fixed it and either imported or created a new personal file by pointing to an existing one.

Thanks in advance.

Shaq

Shaquile Mubariz

V

von Ficken

Same Issue. When I open MS Outlook, the program opens, but if I click Send/Receive, I get this: “cannot start ms ofc outlook. Cannot open the outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. The fileC:\users\suzie\appdata\local\microsoft\outlook\outlook.pst is not a personal folder file.”But windows also gives me the following error openingdocs, pics, or Network and Sharing Center. This error is: “windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.” This happened after an odd shut down while idle but plugged into AC power. I only have me as a user so I have Administrator Auth. I am using Win 7, Office Pro 2007 and all updates are installed according to MS Update Center, Norton 360 ver 3 up to date.

thx, Ken

V

von Ficken

Same Issue. When I open MS Outlook, the program opens, but if I click Send/Receive, I get this: “cannot start ms ofc outlook. Cannot open the outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. The fileC:\users\suzie\appdata\local\microsoft\outlook\outlook.pst is not a personal folder file.”But windows also gives me the following error openingdocs, pics, or Network and Sharing Center. This error is: “windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.” This happened after an odd shut down while idle but plugged into AC power. I only have me as a user so I have Administrator Auth.I am using Win 7, Office Pro 2007 and all updates are installed according to MS Update Center, Norton 360 ver 3 up to date.

thx, Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.