GMAIL+ IMAP Categories

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Truly Generous

I'm using a Gmail IMAP account with outlook, and I noticed that the categories option is not available, no way to categorize anything, my question is why is this and is there a workaround for this?

R

Roady [MVP]

This is because IMAP doesn't support the category property on a message. A workaround would be to work with separate folders or to configure your account via POP3.

T

Truly Generous

Hi, thanks for the prompt response.

The interesting thing here is that through "Rules" it is possible to apply categories to incoming messages, but they still aren't marked with the color in the message pane, only in the reading pane (when you select the message) which basically renders it useless.

As for the solutions you suggested, I can't do both, as I want to use IMAP, and I hate folders/labels (one of the reasons I don't use the Gmail web interface).

R

Roady [MVP]

If you get the category assigned, then you can use Conditional Formatting to apply different colors to the message header in the message list view. It is not the same as a color category, but at least recognizable;
tab View-> View Settings-> button Conditional Formatting...

The use of it is explained here;
http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/coloremailadvanced.htm
(the feature was called Automatic Formatting in previous versions of Outlook but still works the same)

The main reason why it is disabled is because the assigned categories won't be synced back to the IMAP server and thus also not to other (Outlook) clients which you use to access that same account.

M

Michael Bauer [MVP]

It's true, there seems to be no way to get the category displayed on an opened message.

While IMAP doesn't officially support categories, it still works. You could try Category Manager to categorize outgoing and IMAP messages. The Addin doesn't care which account you're in. For details see the link in my signature, please.

Michael Bauer
Category Manager - Easily share your categories

Status
Not open for further replies.