How do I perform a clean install of Outlook 2010. It always seems to detect my old account informati

• Thread starter Peter Grimes
  • Start date Views 5,135
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Peter Grimes

I purchased office 2010 home and student then decided I really wanted outlook back and purchased it separately. This was after running the Ofiice 2010 beta professional for some time. However after de-installing all the beta versions, when I re-install outlook 2010 it still picks up the old version of my account information and would not let me delete it as an account, which I wanted to to as I screwed it up the first time. it is a @live.com account so I removed the hotmail plug in, uninstalled and re-installed and it still picked it up, so in desperation I uninstalled deleted the outlook folders and re-installed and now it just tells me that it cannot find the pst file for my old account and shuts down. How do I ensure that the next install I do does a clean install as if no version of outlook had ever been on the machine?

Brian Tillman

Intalling or uninstalling Outlook does not affect your mail profile in the registry, which is where your account information is kept. If you want to start anew, create a new mail profile using the Mail applet in Control Panel.

----------------------------

P

Peter Grimes

Thanks, sorry to be a bit dim, but since W7 now presents you with a set of options on control panel rather than just listing all the options ? I can't find the mail control any more, can you point me in the right direction, or an alternate way of getting to it. Thanks

R

Russ Valentine

I'm not sure Niyamath's post will help you since it does not cover your question about Windows 7. Change your view of Control Panel to View by: icon instead of View by: Category. You should now see the Mail icon. It is a 32 bit app, but should appear even if you're running Win 7 in 64 bit.Russ Valentine

P

Peter Grimes

Thanks for that, it's all sorted now. Just a note for the terminally stupid, such as myself. The Mail icon only appears after outlook has been installed and run once. If outlook is not installed, or installed but not run [it doesn't seem to matter if it runs and fails, as long as it runs], then the mail icon will not appear

Thanks again guys

Brian Tillman

The Mail icon should appear as soon as Outlook has been installed. It should not require running it once first. I usually install Outlook and use the Mail applet to configure the profile before running Outlook for the first time so that it's exactly how I want it when I do run it for the first time.

----------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.