Duplicate e-mail messages are downloaded from a POP3 e-mail server account in Outlook 2003

• Thread starter SFTraveler
  • Start date Views 1,491
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SFTraveler

A few days ago, a dialog box prompted me to enter my password. It appeared when I was in Outlook and I entered my ISP connection password as that's what it appeared to want. Then it started duplicating all of the existing 400 e-mails in my inbox and continues to send me two copies of every e-mail I am sent.

Microsoft support (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885870) advised downloading Office 2003 Service Pack 2 but I checked and I already have it installed and am still experiencing this issue. I called my ISP and they said that the issue is within MS Outlook and there was nothing they could do.

Any suggestions on how to resolve would be greatly appreciated.

S

SFTraveler

I don't think my e-mail account was duplicated. My ISP said everything looked okay on their end. I am running Norton Security Suite...ran a comprehensive scan and still getting duplicate emails.

G

Guruprasad Ra

Do you use a POP email account in Outlook?

If yes then this issue may occur when the webmail has a corrupt email stuck in the Inbox. Create a back-up folder in Webmail and then move all the emails from Inbox to the back-up folder.

Once the webmail inbox is cleared try to download emails in Outlook and verify if it fixes the issue.

H

Hal Hostetler - Print-Imaging [MVP]

If you're using Norton's email scanner, I'd be willing to bet you a case of your favorite beverage that IT is causing the problem. Norton's email scanner is arguably ths single biggest email trouble maker the is to be found, it causes much more lost data and system downtime than any malware it's designed to prevent. The thing its best at is mangling email. Please considerdownloading and running the Norton Removal Tool to completely remove Norton from your machine (the standard uninstaller leaves lots of debris all over the place), then re-install it WITHOUT any email scanning features/modules/components and see if you still have trouble. You do NOT need an email scanner, Norton's or anyone elses.

Why You Don't Need Your Anti-Virus Program to Scan Your E-Mail

Hal

www.kvoa.com -- KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ.

Live at Hot Licks - www.badnewsbluesband.com

S

SFTraveler

Hi Guruprsad,

I went on to Comcast.net and set up a back up folder and moved all of my inbox e-mails to that folder. It is still downloading a duplicate copy of each e-mail sent to me.

Other possible fixes?

S

SFTraveler

I tried your suggestion and am still having trouble. Duplicate e-mails are still coming in.

S

SFTraveler

Hal,

How can I check if my email account was duplicated? I think it might have been. When I'm in Outlook and click 'send/receive' email, a dialog box opens up and lists my my e-mail accounts twice for sending and twice for receiving e-mails, which would explain why I'm getting duplicate e-mails. How do I remove the duplicated accounts showing up when I click 'send/receive'?

I already went in Outlook to Tools>E-mail Accounts>View or change existing e-mail accounts and there is only the one account showing there.

Thanks

G

Guruprasad Ra

Ensure there are no duplicate email accounts in Outlook.

If same email account configured in multiple times there are chances for duplicate emails

Click here to know how to add or remove email accounts in Outlook

S

SFTraveler

Guruprasad,

When I go to Outlook to Tools>E-mail Accounts>View or change existing e-mail accounts, there is only the one account showing so it doesn't appear to have duplicated. But I am still getting duplicate emails.

G

Guruprasad Ra

Log on to the webmail and send a test email to yourself and check if you receive duplicate emails.

If yes, check with the Internet service provider.

Also try creating a new Outlook profile and check the results

S

SFTraveler

I checked and then contacted my ISP but they say the issue is with Microsoft Outlook.

Creating the new profile in Outlook still has not resolved the problem.

H

Hal Hostetler - Print-Imaging [MVP]

How did you remove it? Merely disabling the insidious thing won't solve anything, you have to completely uninstall Norton, then re-install it without the email scanner. You are far better off without it anyway, if its not the cause of this particular problem, it WILL come back to bite you sometime in the future and that bite can be fearsome as in wholsale deletion of whole folders full of email. Email scanners in general and Norton's in particlular and bad JuJu.

Why You Don't Need Your Anti-Virus Program to Scan Your E-Mail

Hal

www.kvoa.com -- KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ.

Live at Hot Licks - www.badnewsbluesband.com

S

SFTraveler

Yes, completely uninstalled then reinstalled. Still didn't resolve issue.

J

jacd7

it seems to be a sync issue with the connector.

I have the same problem. It also puts all of the emails I deleted back to my inbox b/c it's not syncing with hotmail and telling it that I deleted it.

I tried uninstalling everything and adding outlook and then the connector, but it's not working.

Getting this error in the server status detailed report: Time: 7/22/2010 12:39:47 PM

Error in Mail

Error with Send/Receive.

There was an error synchronizing your folder hierarchy. Error : 8004100d

Time: 7/22/2010 3:43:19 PM

Error in Mail

Error with Send/Receive.

Look for a log in the Sync Issues folder.

I have no idea where the folder is located to resolve the issue.

N

Nate.camp

My computer has had this issue for about two weeks now also.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled outlook connector. looked over all profiles. I had not changed anything before it started either.

It would be wonderful to hear a simple easy to understand solution.

T

three_greens

Try running the Inbox Repair Tool (scanpst) against your local message database. See this KB article for details:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287497

Additionally, if Outlook is configured to “leave a copy of messages on the server,” check to see that your send/receive interval is set to at least 10 minutes. Duplicate/multiple copies of messages may result if Outlook checks your pop server for inbound mail too frequently.

Hope this helps.

W

W Stevens

I had the same problem and from looking at this forum I went into Microsoft Outlet tool then Options, Mail Setup and E-mail Accounts...for some reason I had 4 accounts. I deleted all but one. No more duplicate E-mails. This problem just started about three weeks ago and it really got annoying and today I decided to fix the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.