Outlook 2003 - Can no longer select text in HTML emails in the message preview pane

• Thread starter Ryan Mueller
  • Start date Views 1,404
R

Ryan Mueller

In Outlook 2003 in Windows XP, with all available updates installed, I can no longer select text in any HTML emails in the message preview pane. I used to be able to select text in an email, right click on it and choose copy, and then paste it into another email or document. Now I cannot even select text. The cursor will still turn into the " I" shape, but when I click and drag nothing highlights, and a right click does not bring up a context menu.

The strange thing is that I CAN select text in plain text emails that I have received.

This copy of Outlook has been working just fine, and then for no apparent reason this has started happening, and it's driving me up a wall. :p

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ryan

N

Natasha Dsouza

Click on the Panning Hand above the right scroll bar in the message to turn it off and check if you are able to copy the content from the email.

R

Ryan Mueller

I did see mention of the Panning Hand whilst searching the 'net for resolutions, but I do not see any Panning Hand above the scroll bar in the Preview Pane. Do you have a screenshot of what that looks like? I'm pretty sure I would be able to find it if it was there based on your clear description, but for the life of me I don't see it.

Thanks.

R

Ryan Mueller

Just to clarify, this is happening in Outlook 2003, not 2007. I don't know if that makes a difference. The little Panning Hand icon is definitely not visible above the scroll bar, or anywhere else on the screen...

R

Ryan Mueller

I tried going to Add/Remove Programs, and did a Repair of Office 2003 using the installer. That did not resolve the issue...

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Does Ctrl+A work to select all (and Ctrl+C to copy)? Can you select if you open the message?

Do you have all updates installed?

Reboots sometimes fixes crazy things that happen for no apparent reason... Safe mode will tell you if a 3rd party app is causing it. (Close Outlook, Hold ctrl as you click the icon to start it in Safe mode.)

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Just to clarify, this is happening in Outlook 2003, not 2007. I don't know if that makes a difference. The little Panning Hand icon is definitely not visible above the scroll bar, or anywhere else on the screen...

Yes, it does make a difference. Panning is new to Outlook 2007.

R

Ryan Mueller

CTRL-A did nothing. Opening the message and then trying to select text did not change the behavior. All updates were installed. It's a moot point now....we couldn't waste any more time on it so I uninstalled Office '03 and installed Office '07 (unrelated licensing shuffling) and now Outlook functions normally.

Thank you for your assistance!

J

JRizzo

Thank you so much. This has been a really big issue and until now, I've had to search a lot of pages to find my answer. Thanks again.