Exchange 2010 Stores?

E

ereal

How will 2010 handle store creations.  For example 2007 had to create 1 storage group and 1 store db per lun or logical array.  So if I had 6 store databases then had to have 6 luns or logical array.  With 2010 no longer having storage groups does that mean I can now have several DB's per lun?

B

Brian Day MCITP [MVP]

Yes you can have more than one DB per LUN, but this is no different from 2003 or 2007. You could have multiple DBs on one LUN or one logical disk as long as the disk performance was adequate.Brian Day / MCSA / CCNA, Exchange/AD geek.

E

ereal

okay, I guess I must have misread MS tech info for 2007 on database creations.  I thought you had to have a 1 to 1.  1 db per storage group.  Which MS tech document mentions 1 lun for db and 1 lun for logs.  I thought you will then need 12 luns if you had 6 db's and its logs for example.

B

Brian Day MCITP [MVP]

A CCR cluster did limit you to one DB per SG due to log shipping requirements, but that didn't necessarilly mean you could only have one DB per disk LUN. :) It all depended on your performance needs and what kind of disk backend was in the server.Brian Day / MCSA / CCNA, Exchange/AD geek.

H

Henrik Walther [MVP]

And your backup/restore solution.

If you use streaming backups or software-based VSS backups, it is fine with multiple SGs/DBs on the LUNs, but if you use a hardware-based VSS backup solution, it is recommended to have 1 DB and 1 SG per LUN (2 LUNs per SG).

Henrik Walther | MVP: Exchange | MCM: Exchange 2007 | MSExchange.org