Can not Import-Mailbox and/or Export-Mailbox

• Thread starter Aurimas complexxL9
  • Start date Views 3,125
A

Aurimas complexxL9

I have exchange 2010 RC running on Server 2008 R2, every time I try to import or export mailbox with Administrator account I get this error:

Error was found for Name Surname (name@domain.com) because: Error occurred in the step: Moving messages. Fai

led to copy messages to the destination mailbox store with error:

MAPI or an unspecified service provider.

ID no: 00000000-0000-00000000, error code: -1056749164
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (0:Int32) [Export-Mailbox], RecipientTaskException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : 8C360F11,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.RecipientTasks.ExportMailbox

Googled and tried to add FullAccess to the administrator account with this cmdlet:

" Get-Mailbox | Add-MailboxPermission -User " Administrator" -AccessRights FullAccess"

but I still get the error above.

A

Amit Tank [MVP]

Actually default domain admins have inherited Deny Receive-As permission which blocks full mailbox access.

Normal best practice while playing with import/exports is...

- Keep away from admin accounts.

- Create a normal domain user account

- Grant the full mailbox access to new domain user account.

- Assign the Mailbox Import Export RBAC role to new user with below cmdlet...
New-ManagementRoleAssignment -Role 'Mailbox Import Export' -User 'userName'

- Add user into local admin group of Exchange server.

- And run Import /Export-Mailbox on the workstation where Outlook 2010 x64 installed with Exchange 2010 Management Tools.

Amit Tank | MVP " Exchange Server | MCITP: EMA | MCSA: M | http://ExchangeShare.WordPress.com

A

Aurimas complexxL9

correct me if I did something wrong:

loged to my exchange server with " administrator" account

created domain user account " imex"

ran: Get-Mailbox | Add-MailboxPermission -User " imex" -AccessRights FullAccess

then: New-ManagementRoleAssignment -Role " Mailbox Import Export" -User imex

went to computer management Local Users and Groups/Groups/ and added imex account to " Administrators" group.

Then reloged with the imex account to exchange server, launched powershell and run:

Import-Mailbox -identity " username" -PSTFolderPath D:\file.pst

and got same error as a result.

Do I need to delegate this user " imex" Exchange administrator rights? If yes, how do I do that?

A

Amit Tank [MVP]

No, no need to give Exchange Administrator rights because " Mailbox Import Export" and Full Mailbox Access give necessary permission to import data.

Do you get same error message 1056749164? This error message says, don't have full mailbox access on mailbox. How long did you wait after granting rights? Can you try after restarting Information Store service to flush the cache?

Amit Tank | MVP " Exchange Server | MCITP: EMA | MCSA: M | http://ExchangeShare.WordPress.com

A

Aurimas complexxL9

If I open Exchange Management Console and go to the Recipient Configuration/Mailbox and choose Manage Full Access Permissions for that user I want to import mailbox, I can see " domain\imex" account listed there.

Yes I receive the same error, no change after restarting information store service or the server itself:

edit:

User AccessRights IsInherited Deny

DOMAIN\imex {FullAccess} False False

A

Aurimas complexxL9

here it is

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Import-Mailbox -Identity " aurimas" -PSTFolderPath D:\aurimas.pst

VERBOSE: [08:28:55.157 GMT] Import-Mailbox : Active Directory session settings for 'Import-Mailbox' are: View Entire

Forest: 'False', Default Scope: 'lithill.lan', Configuration Domain Controller: 'landc.lithill.lan', Preferred Global

Catalog: 'landc.lithill.lan',

VERBOSE: [08:28:55.157 GMT] Import-Mailbox : Runspace context: Executing user: lithill.lan/Lithill/Imex, Executing user
organization: , Current organization: , RBAC-enabled: Enabled.

VERBOSE: [08:28:55.157 GMT] Import-Mailbox : Beginning processing.

VERBOSE: [08:28:55.157 GMT] Import-Mailbox : Instantiating handler with index 0 for cmdlet extension agent " Admin Audit
Log Agent" .

VERBOSE: [08:28:55.188 GMT] Import-Mailbox : Trying to open registry key

'Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\App Paths\\OUTLOOK.EXE'.

VERBOSE: [08:28:55.188 GMT] Import-Mailbox : The default value of the registry key is 'C:\PROGRA~1\Microsoft

Office\Office14\OUTLOOK.EXE'.

VERBOSE: [08:28:55.188 GMT] Import-Mailbox : The version of Outlook.exe is '14.0.4417.1000'.

VERBOSE: [08:28:55.188 GMT] Import-Mailbox : Current ScopeSet is: {Domain Read Scope: {, }, Domain Write Scope(s): {,

}, Configuration Scope: {, }, Server Configuration Scope(s): {, }, , Exclusive Scope: {, }}

VERBOSE: [08:28:55.204 GMT] Import-Mailbox : Searching objects " aurimas" of type " ADUser" under the root " $null" .

VERBOSE: [08:28:55.204 GMT] Import-Mailbox : Previous operation run on global catalog server 'landc.lithill.lan'.

VERBOSE: [08:28:55.204 GMT] Import-Mailbox : Processing object " lithill.lan/Lithill/Aurimas Navardauskas" .

VERBOSE: [08:28:55.251 GMT] Import-Mailbox : Searching objects " Lithill" of type " MailboxDatabase" under the root

" $null" .

VERBOSE: [08:28:55.251 GMT] Import-Mailbox : Previous operation run on domain controller 'landc.lithill.lan'.

VERBOSE: [08:28:55.282 GMT] Import-Mailbox : Searching objects " Lithill" of type " MailboxDatabase" under the root

" $null" .

VERBOSE: [08:28:55.298 GMT] Import-Mailbox : Previous operation run on domain controller 'landc.lithill.lan'.

VERBOSE: Mailbox content from .pst file 'D:\aurimas.pst' is being imported into mailbox 'Aurimas Navardauskas'. This

operation may take a long time to complete.

VERBOSE: [08:28:55.313 GMT] Import-Mailbox : Resolved current organization: .

VERBOSE: [08:28:55.329 GMT] Import-Mailbox : Ending processing.

VERBOSE: [08:28:55.329 GMT] Import-Mailbox : [aurimas] The operation has started.

VERBOSE: [08:28:55.329 GMT] Import-Mailbox : [aurimas] Initializing MAPI; loading library.

VERBOSE: [08:28:55.345 GMT] Import-Mailbox : [aurimas] Approving object.

VERBOSE: [08:28:55.454 GMT] Import-Mailbox : [aurimas] Logging on to the MAPI profile.

VERBOSE: [08:28:55.563 GMT] Import-Mailbox : [aurimas] Opening Exchange mailbox.

VERBOSE: [08:28:55.782 GMT] Import-Mailbox : [aurimas] Opening PST file.

VERBOSE: [08:28:55.907 GMT] Import-Mailbox : [aurimas] The operation has finished.

VERBOSE: [08:28:55.907 GMT] Import-Mailbox : [aurimas] The operation has started.

VERBOSE: [08:28:55.907 GMT] Import-Mailbox : [aurimas] Initializing MAPI; loading library.

VERBOSE: [08:28:55.923 GMT] Import-Mailbox : [aurimas] Approving object.

VERBOSE: [08:28:56.048 GMT] Import-Mailbox : [aurimas] Logging on to the MAPI profile.

VERBOSE: [08:28:56.157 GMT] Import-Mailbox : [aurimas] Opening Exchange mailbox.

VERBOSE: [08:28:56.376 GMT] Import-Mailbox : [aurimas] Opening PST file.

VERBOSE: [08:28:56.376 GMT] Import-Mailbox : [aurimas] Moving messages.

VERBOSE: [08:28:56.376 GMT] Import-Mailbox : [aurimas] Merging messages.

Error was found for Aurimas Navardauskas (aurimas@*****.**) because: Error occurred in the step: Moving messages. Fai

led to copy messages to the destination mailbox store with error:

+ CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (0:Int32) [Import-Mailbox], RecipientTaskException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : 8DA22435,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.RecipientTasks.ImportMailbox

VERBOSE: [08:28:56.485 GMT] Import-Mailbox : [aurimas] The operation has finished.

RunspaceId : ea4a44c9-d12a-4ce4-8dcf-dc126ca43cba

Identity : lithill.lan/Lithill/Aurimas Navardauskas

DistinguishedName : CN=Aurimas Navardauskas,OU=Lithill,DC=lithill,DC=lan

DisplayName : Aurimas Navardauskas

Alias : aurimas

LegacyExchangeDN : /o=Lithill/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=Aurim
as Navardauskas

PrimarySmtpAddress : aurimas@*****.**

SourceServer :

SourceDatabase : Lithill

SourceGlobalCatalog : LANDC

SourceDomainController :

TargetGlobalCatalog : LANDC

TargetDomainController :

TargetMailbox :

TargetServer : MAIL-RC.lithill.lan

TargetDatabase : Lithill

MailboxSize : 279.3 MB (292,824,064 bytes)

IsResourceMailbox : False

SIDUsedInMatch :

SMTPProxies :

SourceManager :

SourceDirectReports :

SourcePublicDelegates :

SourcePublicDelegatesBL :

SourceAltRecipient :

SourceAltRecipientBL :

SourceDeliverAndRedirect :

MatchedTargetNTAccountDN :

IsMatchedNTAccountMailboxEnabled :

MatchedContactsDNList :

TargetNTAccountDNToCreate :

TargetManager :

TargetDirectReports :

TargetPublicDelegates :

TargetPublicDelegatesBL :

TargetAltRecipient :

TargetAltRecipientBL :

TargetDeliverAndRedirect :

Options : Default

SourceForestCredential :

TargetForestCredential :

TargetFolder :

PSTFilePath : D:\aurimas.pst

RecoveryMailboxGuid :

RecoveryMailboxLegacyExchangeDN :

RecoveryMailboxDisplayName :

RecoveryDatabaseGuid :

StandardMessagesDeleted : 0

AssociatedMessagesDeleted : 0

DumpsterMessagesDeleted : 0

MoveType : Import

MoveStage : Move

StartTime : 9/29/2009 11:26:36 AM

EndTime : 9/29/2009 11:26:37 AM

StatusCode : -1056749164

StatusMessage : Error occurred in the step: Moving messages. Failed to copy messages to the destinat
ion mailbox store with error:
ID no: 00000000-0000-00000000

ReportFile : C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Logging\MigrationLogs\import-Mailbox2
0090929-112635-9848089.xml

ServerName : mail-rc.lithill.lan

A

Amit Tank [MVP]

Nothing seems wrong here.

- imex is newly created user & member of just a Domain User group in AD.

- Exchange 2010 & 64bit of Outlook 2010 installed.

- imex has Mailbox Import Export RBAC role. (This role actually also grants full access rights to all mailboxes)

These three are the main requirements of running Import/Export-Mailbox and when you run Import-Mailbox by using imex account, it should import data from aurimas.pst to Aurim's mailbox...

Just verify that management role assigned properly to imex account with below cmdlet...

Get-ManagementRoleAssignment -RoleAssignee imex | ft name, role

If role is properly assigned then last shot, try rebooting server...

A

Aurimas complexxL9

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-ManagementRoleAssignment -RoleAssignee imex | ft name, role

Name Role

---- --
Mailbox Import Export-Imex Mailbox Import Export

Server reboot did not resolve the problem.

So if this is the dead end, is there any other way to move users mail from exchange 2007 server on domain " A" to another exchange server 2010 RC in domain " B" (not in same forest).

A

Aurimas complexxL9

Thanks a lot for your help. Could you assist me further with the New-MoveRequest syntax? I have hard time forming New-MoveRequest cmdlet.
I try this:
New-MoveRequest -Identity " user@remote.domain" -Remote -RemoteLegacy -RemoteGlobalCatalog " dc.remote.domain" -RemoteHostName " remote.domain" -TargetDeliveryDomain " local.domain"
result is:
Parameter set cannot be resolved using the specified named parameters.
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: :)) [New-MoveRequest], ParameterBindingException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : AmbiguousParameterSet,New-MoveRequest
Could you provide example cmdlet for my case?
By the way, should I be running this cmdlet on exchange 2010 to which I want to move the mailbox (as I am trying right now) or from exchange 2007 from which I want to move the mailbox?

A

Amit Tank [MVP]

I didn't try this but it would be something like this...

$cred = Get-Credential

New-MoveRequest -RemoteLegacy -Identity user@remotedomain.com
-TargetDatabase " LocalDBName" -RemoteGlobalCatalog " RemoteGC.RemoteDomain.com" -RemoteCredential $Cred -TargetDeliveryDomain " localdomain.com'

Yes, this helps to pull mailbox data from Exchange 2007 SP2 of remote forest to local Exchange 2010.

A

Aurimas complexxL9

Thanks.
I got this error when trying your cmdlet
You must use the RemoteTargetDatabase parameter for remote push move requests.
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (aurimas@lithill.lt:MailboxOrMailUserIdParameter) [New-MoveRequest], Re
cipientTaskException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : 12A2FBA2,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.RecipientTasks.NewMoveRequest
So I changed -TargetDatabase to -RemoteTargetDatabase , but after that I encountered another error:
Service 'net.tcp://mail-rc.localdomain.com/Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxReplicationService' encountered an exception. Error: A
n Active Directory error 0x51 occurred when trying to check the suitability of server 'dc.remotedomain.com'. Error: 'Active
directory response: The LDAP server is unavailable.'
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (0:Int32) [New-MoveRequest], MailboxReplicationTransientException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : 6254781E,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.RecipientTasks.NewMoveRequest
I guess this is where I run into AD problems (that's why I am trying to ditch the old domain and move to the new one), well I've given up on repairing the old DC because there are so many errors and I am not really experienced in fixing AD.
Guess I'll have to wait for Exchange 2010 RTM and try with export, import-mailbox again.
Thanks again for your time, I've learned really valuable info from your answers.

E

Evgeniy Sudyr

Hi Guys, I have exactly same error message when I'm trying to export mailbox to .pst file.
- Exchange 2010 x64 RTM (activated)
- Outlook 2010 x64 (activated)
- regular domain user with Mailbox Import Export RBAC role
" Error occurred in the step: Moving messages. Failed to
copy messages to the destination mailbox store with error:
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (0:Int32) [Export-Mailbox], RecipientTaskException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : 1AB2EF1,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.RecipientTasks.ExportMailbox"
Any other ideas how to debug this problem ?