SETUP.EXE A previous version of Exchange Server is already installed on this machine when installing

• Thread starter weissco
  • Start date Views 3,644
W

weissco

Hello,

I'm working in a single server environment. I had Windows 2008 with Exchange 2007 SP2 installed.
I introduced a temporary Windows 2008R2 server into the domain, installed Exchange 2010 onto it, and migrated everything from Exchange 2007 onto the new server. I then uninstalled Exchange 2007 from the original server without issue (except having to use ASDIEDIT to remove the public folders).
I upgraded the Windows 2008 server to Windows 2008R2 with no issues. Now I am trying to install Exchange 2010 and getting the following error during SETUP:
A previous version of Exchange Server is already installed on this machine

I still had data in the Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server from the old machine. I renamed that folder, as well as the C:\ExchangeSetupLogs folder.

There were no settings left in IIS from the original installation, so did nothing there.

Still, the error persists. I have found no information on the web regarding this issue.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Tim

W

weissco

RESOLVED. Needed to clear the EXCHANGE Key from HKLM\SOFTWARE

Thanks,

Tim

J

Jeremy Caney

Thanks for this tip. The upgrade process is a bit disappointing for those of us in smaller organizations, who are thus likely to be reusing hardware.

J

jmbruun

Hi. Thank you for your advise. I'm not familiar with working in the registry and I do not want to make any mistakes. When you say clear the Exchange Key in HKLM/Software I can find several places in the software 'folder' where Exchange is mentioned. It looks like this:

Software

- Classes

- Clients

- Microsoft

- ODBC

- Policies
RegisteredApplications

- Wow6432Node

Where do I find the Key to clear - and does that mean to delete it or to set the value to 0 (zero)?

Thanks in advance

J

Justin Compito

Hi i removed my registry and on the next step I obtained the following error

Some controls are not valid

- The Exchange Server is in an inconsistent state. Only disaster recovery mode is available. Please use Setup /m:RecoverServer to recover this Exchange server

Justin

S

Sertac PAMUKCU

Hi,

The registry key is ;

HKLM->Software->Microsoft>Exchange

I think ;)