IMAP4 - no new mail

• Thread starter security.jones
  • Start date Views 843
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

security.jones

Hi,
I've got some mailboxes connected by the clients using IMAP. Problem: The client isn't able to receive new mail until i move the mailbox from one mailbox database to an other one. I can move the mailboxes every 30 minutes so the users receive their email.

I tried this with several clients: Outlook 2007 SP2, Outlook Express 6, Outlook 2010 Beta, Thunderbird, MobilePhone - it is the same problem on every client.

The Server is a Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition with Exchange Server 2010 Enterprise Edition.

The ExBPA doesn't show any error, except this known one: Active Directory domain 'CORP' has an unrecognized Exchange signature. Current DomainPrep version: 12639.

All mail is available in OWA and Outlook in Exchange Profile.

I need this server to go live within the next days.

Any Ideas?

Thanks
Stefan

B

Bellaard [MVP]

Dear Stefan

Did you update de ExPBA before you start the scan? If not please do that first en and then check if yoy see the error again. If this is the case than look into it.

First some questions:
1) Did you enable and start the IMAP service? (Default is the IMAP service disabled and stopt)
2) Has the user IMAP rights? (Default they have)
3) Do you use SSL to connecte to de exchange server?
4) Try to connecte from a client without IPv6

MartijnMartijn B.

S

security.jones

Hi Martin,

thanks for you reply. I'll answer accordingly.

1) Did you enable and start the IMAP service? (Default is the IMAP service disabled and stopt)
Yes, I enabled MSExchangeIMAP4 and set startup-mode to Automatic. The Service is up and running.

2) Has the user IMAP rights? (Default they have)
Yes, the User is allowed to use IMAP. By the way ... he already received mails, but very late or just when I move the mailbox. In OWA and Outlook all mails appear as they arrive.

3) Do you use SSL to connecte to de exchange server?
Yes, i use SSL with a public trusted certificate.

4) Try to connecte from a client without IPv6
The client is in the internet and connected with IPv4. I also checked with an IPv6-native client. But this doesn't help.

Let me mention again: When the mailbox finishes its move-request, the user sees all his new mail. Then it works for approx. 30 minutes and the problem is back.

Stefan

B

Bellaard [MVP]

Stefan

Is it only on one mailbox or is for every mailbox? Its possible that a email message has a bad bit in it. I have seen this happend before. If it is only this mailbox, then there is something wrong in the mailbox.

- Move all mail to a PST file
- Delete the mailbox
- Create a new mailbox for this users
- Check if IMAP is working
- Movr all mail from the PST back into the mailbox

Martijn

Martijn B.

S

security.jones

Hi Martin,

at the moment, there are just two mailboxes. Next week we are going to take more users on to the system. The users both started with an empty mailbox. The magic thing is, that everything is working fine, when i move the mailboxes into an other database. Also everything is fine before I move but just access the mailboxes by OWA and Exchange.

Are there some more ideas?

BR
Stefan

B

Bellaard [MVP]

Dear Stefan

Did you check if you have the last version of de BPA?

Can you find anything in the logfiles?

After the mailbox faild, try to telnet ot the imap service? What do you get then?

MartijnMartijn B.

S

security.jones

Hello Martin and Mikhail,

thanks for your replies.

The "Solution" (which isn't one) presented to Mikhail in his thread before is the same, Martin recommends. But this would only work until another new mail arrives.

How comes, moving the mailbox from one store to an other helps?

Regarding the ExBPA. It shows the following error: Active Directory domain 'CORP' has an unrecognized Exchange signature. Current DomainPrep version: 12639.
The Version of the ExBPA is: This scan was run by the Microsoft Exchange Best Practices Analyzer version 14.0.639.21, with XML configuration version 14.1.4.0 on Computer <servername>.

Manually updating shows up with "no new version".

BR
Stefan

S

Siarhei Maltsau

Hello, All.

For now only mailbox recreation helps. Export mailing to PST using Outlook, export rules. Delete mailbox, create it back. Import messages, import rules.

No comments...

S

security.jones

Hello again,

I can't follow this. I've got this problem with every new mailbox I do create. It isn't the official solution, nor?

Stefan

S

Siarhei Maltsau

Another workaround found:

1. Create subfolder under Inbox (Temp).

2. Move all items from Inbox to temporary folder created in p.1 (using Outlook или OWA).

3. Move items back to Inbox.

4. If moving using Outlook in Cached Mode, wait a little (10-15 min) till server sync completed.

5. Create new IMAP profile.

6. IMAP should work fine

Repeat this with all folders that are IMAP-synced (Sent Items, Drafts, Deleted Items).

Checked on 100+ mailboxes - works.

Microsoft aware about the problem - they develop a hotfix.

R

rdolezel

Hotfix applied, unfortunately bug persists. I have tried to move user's mailbox from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2007 and then back to Exchange 2010. IMAP account was deleted in WLM and created again.

No new incoming or sent mails appear in user's IMAP folders until the content of inbox (or sent items) is moved to the newly created subfolder and back.

Status
Not open for further replies.