Recommended rules migration order from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

massimiliano.rizzi

Hello,

I am about to migrate our internal multi-role (CAS, HT, Mailbox) Exhange Server 2007 installation running on Windows 2003 x64 to an Exchange server 2010 installation on Windows 2008 R2. After reading a lot of documentation regarding to Exchange 2007 migration to 2010 and I understand the recommended order for roles migration is CAS, HT and finally Mailbox.

Since our Security Suite for the Exchange environment running on top of the HT role (Trend Micro Worry-Free Business Security Adanced 6.0 SP1) is currently unsupported when using Exchange 2010 according to what Trend Micro Technical Support says, I was wondering whether migrating CAS and Mailbox role while temporarily maintaining HT role on the old Exchange Server 2007 installation could be a concern or not. So is the order for roles migration (CAS, HT and Mailbox) more than a best practice ?

Thank you and have a great day.

Regards, Massimiliano

X

Xiu Zhang

Hi,

I think that could the issue. When you are ready to begin your deployment, it is recommended to upgrade a single Active Directory site at a time to Exchange 2010.
Please note: Due to the changes made to the Exchange Server Object (XSO) model in Exchange 2010, Exchange 2010 Hub Transport servers can't pick up messages from and deliver messages to Exchange 2007 Mailbox servers. Similarly Exchange 2007 Hub Transport servers can't communicate with Exchange 2010 Mailbox servers. Therefore, you need to maintain your Exchange 2007 Hub Transport servers in a specific Active Directory site until all Exchange 2007 Mailbox servers are removed from that site.

Regards,
Xiu

Status
Not open for further replies.