Outlook clients get "Contacting the server for information"

• Thread starter JScott2
  • Start date Views 4,871
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JScott2

Hi,

I've recently setup a new production Exchange 2010 Enterprise Edition server running on Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise. Everything is working fine except for user's are getting a pop up in Outlook 2010 that says " contacting the server for information" when fowarding messages with imbedded html. Outlook 2007 user's don't get the pop-up, but it still takes a long time for the message to send. After they click the send button, it just sits on thier screen for about 20 seconds. All other email messages are fine. The messages are small, even a 26kb message will do this. Has anyone seen this before, or have any ideas about what needs to be changed for the messages to be sent out at an acceptable time. All users are configured for cached mode in Outlook and this happens for user's on the same LAN as the server and for user's on a different LAN. At this point, we only have 10 or so user's on the server, but are getting ready to migrate several hundred over.

Thanks,

JScott2

E

Elvis Wei

Hi JScott2,

If you test the issue in OWA, will it still take a long time to send? If you use online mode in Outlook, can you reproduce the issue?

The information you mentioned is " Outlook is retrieving data from the Microsoft Exchange server" right? If so, please refer to the suggestions in the following thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrclients/thread/b2afa738-0fba-4060-892f-6a3917744811

I also suggest you install latest patch of Exchange 2010 and test the issue, Update Rollup 2 for Exchange Server 2010 (KB979611):

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6d3ae3e0-3982-46d6-9e9c-7d7d63fae565&displaylang=en

Hope this helps. Thanks,

Elvis

E

Elvis Wei

Hi JScott2,

Is there any update on the issue? If so, please let me know.

Thanks,

Elvis

R

Robert A - Seattle

" Contacting the server for information"

I am getting these as well, but when I run a VBA Macro in Outlook 2010. Not sure what is going on. Sometimes they take 5 seconds, sometimes up a minute. I'm a small business with a very fast network and a relatively pretty powerful Exchange 2010 Server so the delay is a hassle. Exchange 2010 with all the updates.

H

hdemarzo

I am having the same problem, but it is only happening with outlook and only with emails from one site. if I use thunderbird the issue does not arise. What de eff? What is this about?? also im still using the office home and business beta. Please help.

J

Josh R

I have a similar problem. In my case I used fiddler to monitor web traffic and found that as it tried to read the email, " contacting the server" meant it was trying to read images/html data from the web for content in the email. There were a lot of http protocol errors in the queries and I think Outlook was just timing out. I tried adding the offending domain into my hosts file to point locally but that didn't help.

The offending domain was img.icbdr.com and was related to some careerbuilder emails trying to pull up gifs and image directories. It happened to be on a daily alert from our sharepoint server. I have Outlook 2010 set to NOT download anything automatically in the trust center settings, but it still tries to download those images, fails, and crashs/slows outlook 2010.

No fix so far.

W

WhosUsingMyName

My signature has social media icons that link to twitter and facebook. When I remove this part of my signature I dont have the probably. I am definitely not a tech geek, so this may or may not work for you...just my 2 cents.

A

Afromm

I just upgraded from Office 2007 to Office 2010 and I'm having this problem when trying to print emails from Outlook. Appears to be trying to reload the HTML page - the more HTML/Graphics on the email, the longer the " Contacting the server for information" takes (and the more times it flashes). VERY disappointing and frustrating -- was looking forward to 2010 but now I'm thinking about going back - this is extremely annoying and is killing my productivity because Outlook is totally locked up when it is doing this and often you can't even go to another application because the focus keeps going back to the window that keeps popping up. Please let me know if you need more info, but I'm running out of the box Outlook 2010 from Microsoft Professional edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.